Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3539 3540 [3541] 3542 3543 ... 3837

Author Topic: What's going on in your fort?  (Read 5904482 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on in your fort?
« Reply #53100 on: December 29, 2018, 05:30:19 am »

giant undead beatles, etc.
"Here comes the un(dead),
Little darling
Here comes the un(dead),
And I say..."

"You may think
that I'm a zombie...
But I'm not the only one."

White Album of the Living Dead 2: Lennon Againnon!

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53101 on: December 29, 2018, 05:52:20 am »

Speaking of music, I don't know what this bard did, but everyone is just letting a giant zombie butterfly beat him to death.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #53102 on: December 30, 2018, 10:38:09 am »

Speaking of music, I don't know what this bard did, but everyone is just letting a giant zombie butterfly beat him to death.

Death by a thousand butterfly kisses...

Deus Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53103 on: December 30, 2018, 10:41:08 am »

Started having problems with carvans coming and setting up right until they toss everything back in and leave.
Also somehow seem to have gotten my own civilization at war with me.
Fortress was starting to suffer from FPS creep anyway.
Quote from: KillerClowns
Beneath the slade, there is sheep. By all that his holy, there are so many sheep down there. I don't know why it's sheep.

Pvt. Pirate

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Linux User
    • View Profile
« Reply #53104 on: December 30, 2018, 11:43:00 am »

Started having problems with carvans coming and setting up right until they toss everything back in and leave.
i'm having this almost every second fort i start.
still no idea why it happens.
"dwarves are by definition alcohol powered parasitic beards, which will cling to small caveadapt humanoids." (Chaia)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53105 on: December 30, 2018, 04:39:41 pm »

Disaster strikes! Just after we receive the migrant wave that would push us over the 100 dwarf mark, the full moon rises, and one of the dwarves I'd selected as a potential scholar for our library transforms into the dreaded wereserpent! At least eighteen lie dead, including the serpent, and more still are being carried to the hospital, many with fatal injuries from which I doubt they will recover.

Thankfully the beast's bite injects a venom that is almost guaranteed death, so the spread of infection, if there is any, will be slow. Most of the dwarves wear special metallic clothing that deflected the creatures bites.

I dont have any coffins...

[edit]
So the total death toll is about twenty dwarves. Another one bit the dust in the middle of the cloth stockpile after being released from the hospital. Another month has gone by and it looks like those enchanted cloth clothes did the trick, because nobody transformed.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2018, 04:41:53 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53106 on: December 30, 2018, 06:05:51 pm »

A forgotten beast has come, an enormous feathered buffalo with a toxic bite.

This fucking thing is doing a better job of controlling the undead trog population than armed slayers did.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #53107 on: December 30, 2018, 07:53:26 pm »

Thankfully the beast's bite injects a venom that is almost guaranteed death, so the spread of infection, if there is any, will be slow. Most of the dwarves wear special metallic clothing that deflected the creatures bites.
Huh. Didn't know wereserpents also had venom. I knew weregila monsters did, but this is news to me.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53108 on: December 31, 2018, 03:41:20 am »

I seem to have at long last finally exterminated the local undead ogre and monarch butterfly populations. It's going to take a long while yet to get rid of all the mantises and other bullshit, but who knows, maybe I'll eventually get an undead savanna mostly free of undead.

The caverns on the other hand... That's going to be a different matter, considering the mess those mONster Slayers made with their non-mangling kills.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53109 on: December 31, 2018, 03:19:10 pm »

For those with reanimating biomes, you can prevent haulers from attempting to haul new dead bodies by automatically forbidding the bodies with the 'o' 'F' settings. But you do need to watch for deaths within your fort, so you can unforbid before the miasma starts.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53110 on: December 31, 2018, 04:08:43 pm »

Not gonna lie, I've just be auto-dump destroying problem bodyparts. For some reason, arms and headless corpses refuse to pulp and often go down after one hit and reanimate later, resulting massively inflated kill counts (as the limbs and corpses are counted as full creatures,) and death screen. Seems there's some unhelpful lingering hit point code left over or something.

Managed to snap up a pair of mercenaries, which is nice. Let's me pad my fort with a couple dudes who brought their own gear for once, though it'd be nice to have some fucking migrants. Things are going so slow it hurts with only 20-ish dwarves, almost half of which I had to have train for a year to be able to tackle the likes of zombie ogres.

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53111 on: January 01, 2019, 02:26:54 am »

Two Werebeast have hit so far, and I didn't manage to get the drawbridge at the entrance pulled up for either.  The first caught and killed my Expedition Leader at then entrance and then feasted up all of the pastured livestock before it turned back into a goblin.  It then wandered into my fort ran into a couple of Miners with picks and a Hunter with no ammo and fled in terror. 

The second was a Wereskink who was only spotted when he was a few tiles from the drawbridge.  I had no choice and sent in my fairly new and untrained military.  It murdalized one of my Swordsdrafs before it went down.  Two of my other militia member were injured, but I scanned through the combat reports and neither seemed to have been bitten.  I let them be.  It was a mistake.

One of the two injured in the Werebeast attack was an Axedwarf who got elected mayor.  I went to go assign him to his new quarters, and his name isn't on the list.  Then I saw the reports.  Apparently he and the other injured soldier transformed, while in the barracks training with the squad.  They went down quickly, but took the Militia Commander with them, and a Macedwarf was bitten.  I'm not taking any chances this time.  I tried to use burrows to get her into confined quarters.  It didn't work, but she went close by and was standing right under the Atomizer.  I had the lever pulled, and in the delay between the pull and the bridge falling she move a tile over...  She is now locked into the Atomizer's room and I'm going to wall it off and let her starve.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53112 on: January 01, 2019, 08:46:15 am »

Two Werebeast have hit so far, and I didn't manage to get the drawbridge at the entrance pulled up for either.  The first caught and killed my Expedition Leader at then entrance and then feasted up all of the pastured livestock before it turned back into a goblin.  It then wandered into my fort ran into a couple of Miners with picks and a Hunter with no ammo and fled in terror. 

The second was a Wereskink who was only spotted when he was a few tiles from the drawbridge.  I had no choice and sent in my fairly new and untrained military.  It murdalized one of my Swordsdrafs before it went down.  Two of my other militia member were injured, but I scanned through the combat reports and neither seemed to have been bitten.  I let them be.  It was a mistake.

One of the two injured in the Werebeast attack was an Axedwarf who got elected mayor.  I went to go assign him to his new quarters, and his name isn't on the list.  Then I saw the reports.  Apparently he and the other injured soldier transformed, while in the barracks training with the squad.  They went down quickly, but took the Militia Commander with them, and a Macedwarf was bitten.  I'm not taking any chances this time.  I tried to use burrows to get her into confined quarters.  It didn't work, but she went close by and was standing right under the Atomizer.  I had the lever pulled, and in the delay between the pull and the bridge falling she move a tile over...  She is now locked into the Atomizer's room and I'm going to wall it off and let her starve.
If she is infected she'll never starve. The hunger clock resets every time she transforms.

So if you notice she's either hungry or thirsty after a few months in there let her out. She's fine. No need t atom smash a trained dwarf and her armor.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #53113 on: January 01, 2019, 10:52:26 am »

Huh. Didn't know wereserpents also had venom. I knew weregila monsters did, but this is news to me.

I dont even think there are wereserpents in vanilla. I added wereserpents as part of my spellcrafts mod. The metallic cloth for clothing might or might not be included; it does stack the odds heavily in your dwarves favor, so making it easy to produce like i have it now might not be good for balance. Clearly its not invincible, though.

I had a forgotten beast show up in the caverns theyre still sealed off, and it eventually beat itself to a pulp woth its own deadly dust chasing wildlife. Then a tentacled horror showed up and put it down. Nothing else has attacked us besides the goddamn giant buzzards, which keep trying to get inside. Luckily theh havent seriously hurt anybody yet.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vaga

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53114 on: January 01, 2019, 05:29:13 pm »

If she is infected she'll never starve. The hunger clock resets every time she transforms.

So if you notice she's either hungry or thirsty after a few months in there let her out. She's fine. No need t atom smash a trained dwarf and her armor.

I didn't know that.  She eventually went to here 1 tile padded cell and has stayed there through 3-4 transformations now.  She hasn't seemed to have had any bad thoughts other than from seeing her squadmate brutally murdered.  Actually her high quality cell door seems to make her very happy.  I just had a fantastic idea to build her a covered cell just outside my entrance, move her there, and launch her at whatever attacks my fort next.  Worst case scenario she buys time for me to get the drawbridge closed.  Best case scenario she takes out whatever it is.  Werebeasts will fight each other right?

I also have just trapped a bunch of Crundles and built a Coliseum, so they are going to be fed one at a time to me new recruits to get them trained up.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2019, 05:33:44 pm by Vaga »
Pages: 1 ... 3539 3540 [3541] 3542 3543 ... 3837