Poll

What is your preferred system?

Any D&D/D20
Shadowrun
World of Darkness
Palladium
Other (feel free to post about it)

Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 623

Author Topic: Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread: COBRA!!!  (Read 844644 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeons & Dragons / PNP games thread , Now with meaningless poll!
« Reply #4035 on: June 07, 2017, 03:19:56 pm »

Draignean:  Loathe to create, does not equal "does not create."

Some compelling situations:  Micromanagement of a state does not work. The more holdings you have, or the more complex the system becomes, the more administrative overhead there is.  Either you dare to allow mere mortals to hold positions as bureaucrats, and run the risk of constantly having to retrain replacements as they invariably die horribly from old age--- OR, you find some way to keep an immortal workforce who never needs replacement or retraining, and bind them to your will somehow.  I see immortal vampire lords favoring this second one, with promotion to "bureaucrat" being one of the coveted ways of climbing up the social ladder mortals have open to them-- but only being granted to those that are exceptionally useful (already trained), AND already exceedingly loyal (Easy to bind to service). Said bureaucrats subsisting on "Grog", or other low quality vintages, as they need to keep their cunning, and not lapse into decadence.  That privilege is held for upper crust vampires. As such, bureaucrats are always looking for ways to subtly escape an eternity of toil and monotony, and seek ways to either annex nearby uncontrolled territory (EG, neighboring human-run kingdoms) through legal trickery (and thus move up the totem pole to regional governor, etc. without engaging in open warfare), or to destabilize controlled territories through similar means (Still fiercely loyal to their creator, they never undermine their own power base, just that of rival lords, and never openly.) 

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: June 07, 2017, 03:47:14 pm »

Quite, the Necrocracy grows, but it grows slowly, and with far more Vampire Spawn than Full Vampires- which already forces you very deep into second class citizen territory as far as Vampire politics is concerned.  That would be a rather fun character- a mortal bureaucrat turned spawn in order to perpetually govern an outlying province, always desperately trying to put on the airs of being a 'real vampire'.

Necrotic cysts would be an interesting way to control certain living officials. They're a mechanic added in Libris mortis that basically lets you put a control tumor in a living creature, to either invade their mind if you're a decent enough necromancer, or to explode hideously painfully if you're a bit less skilled...

There's a lot of possibilities for non-elite, particularly when you think about how many generally oppressed classes and/or entities could hold positions of prestige and power. Necropolitan transformation would be an easy way to get servants that aren't anymore powerful than a regular mortal, but immortal w/ maintenance. Can't be bound as thralls easily, but it's a good way to keep around a skilled individual well past their time. Were-critters of varying stripes are always fun, and they don't mind eating plain meat too much.

Ah, well, as stated. It's a fun setting to think about, I'm just paranoid that the players will go 'but everything is horrible!' and bug out to the nearest not horrible place. Granted, that's only happened once, but the character with the plot macguffin was the one who buggered off and left everyone else to die in a hopeless battle.
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: June 07, 2017, 04:40:09 pm »

Ah, well, as stated. It's a fun setting to think about, I'm just paranoid that the players will go 'but everything is horrible!' and bug out to the nearest not horrible place. Granted, that's only happened once, but the character with the plot macguffin was the one who buggered off and left everyone else to die in a hopeless battle.
I mean, it at least seems a lot better than Ravenloft, where no one is allowed to enjoy themselves and there's only one guy in charge who you can't ever kill permanently. At least in your setting there's room for political intrigue. Yours sounds like a setting I'd like to play in, whereas I'd probably only want to go back to Ravenloft to finish the campaign I was in.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 04:42:32 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: June 07, 2017, 08:22:34 pm »

Need 2 more before I start that D&D Basic game. Might have a third slot open too if one of the players doesn't get back to me.

PM me if interested. Do note that its more for learning mechanics
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4039 on: June 07, 2017, 08:55:08 pm »

Worth considering: you need to create lots of skeletal workers, but all you have is a pile of fresh corpses! Skeletons are cheaper and faster than zombies, and probably much less likely to spread nasty diseases among the living. So naturally there would be an industry devoted to stripping the flesh from corpses, leaving only the bones to be raised as cheap labor.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: June 07, 2017, 09:03:00 pm »

Which nicely reduces the amount of farming you have to do.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: June 07, 2017, 09:12:37 pm »

Or, supplies human flesh for other kinds of undead, like ghouls.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: June 07, 2017, 09:44:54 pm »

Worth considering: you need to create lots of skeletal workers, but all you have is a pile of fresh corpses! Skeletons are cheaper and faster than zombies, and probably much less likely to spread nasty diseases among the living. So naturally there would be an industry devoted to stripping the flesh from corpses, leaving only the bones to be raised as cheap labor.

Animate Dead actually does this as part of its spell description, whenever you animate a skeleton within a meatier corpse the flesh, organs and skin just kind of slough off for the most part.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I wear many masks, none of them have names.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: June 07, 2017, 09:47:53 pm »

Aw, really? That really seems to take the fun out of it.
This unit is known to the state of california to occasionally misuse technical language.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: June 07, 2017, 10:01:07 pm »

Very convenient on the field though, especially as a method of defiling the corpses of your enemies so they can't get easily raised afterward.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: June 07, 2017, 10:10:55 pm »

According to the spell description, you have to walk up to the corpse to place the gem in its mouth (where it will likely be surrounded by enemies). You can't just animate it from range like you can in Dungeon crawl Stone soup
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: June 07, 2017, 10:20:28 pm »

Well, corpse defilement is usually a thing you do post-battle rather than during it, with some possible exceptions.

highmax28

• Bay Watcher
  • I think this is what they call a tantrum spiral...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4047 on: June 08, 2017, 12:31:42 am »

Well, corpse defilement is usually a thing you do post-battle rather than during it, with some possible exceptions.
I got for telefragging. I tend to let my players do this after they kill enemies, but never when they're alive. Ask Mastahcheese; it was his calling card
just shot him with a balistic arrow, i think he will get stuned from that >.>

"Guardian" and Sigfriend Of Necrothreat
Jee wilikers, I think Highmax is near invulnerable, must have been dunked in the river styx like achilles was.
Just make sure he wears a boot.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: June 08, 2017, 01:36:13 am »

There's a couple of classes or alternate builds that don't worry about the onyx requirement for creating undead.

In 3.5e the Warlock class has a lesser invocation called The Dead Walk that lets you either animate dead permanently using onyx or temporarily for 1 minute per caster level without onyx, after which they crumble to dust.

In Pathfinder there's a variant magic system called Words of Power that is honestly a terrible downgrade for most spellcaster classes. However, one quirk of the system is that it has two useful features: the ability to use Summon Monster spells as standard actions instead of full round actions, and the ability to use Animate Dead without material components and at range. You can pick up this feature with a single Feat called Experimental Spellcaster if you want to have your cake and eat it too.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: June 08, 2017, 06:45:20 am »

If you're producing a lot of Necropolitans as a "slightly higher then mortal but still very low" caste, you could also spell stitch them (although you'd probably have to either find a way to handwave away or avoid the exp cost, since it's probably not worthwhile for a big old necromancer to be draining himself so heavily and so often for a shitty caste), give them animate undead and then you'll have a nice little undead herder who can make and upkeep a handful of skeletons or zombies for free (and also have some other basic magic abilities to help keep the peace or be useful in a war)
Pages: 1 ... 268 269 [270] 271 272 ... 623