Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24

Author Topic: NY times article on DF  (Read 56466 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: NY times article on DF
« Reply #315 on: July 28, 2011, 04:50:06 pm »

Dr. Toady One, any old Urist McMigrant can suture a cut apart spleen, or apply a sprint to the brain.  Dr. Toady One cures NUMBERS.

Does that mean when he drinks Dr Pepper he's consulting with a peer?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: July 29, 2011, 02:19:37 pm »

By the way, Toady, you really shouldn't feel mad about Minecraft. It's really quite a different game with basically no gameplay in common with Dwarf Fortress. It may have been inspired by DF but that's about it. You should rather feel proud that you've inspired other developers to make great games. Try to play it if you can - it's fun and it definitely isn't Dwarf Fortress.
Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: July 29, 2011, 02:21:34 pm »

If I were Toady, I'd be more personally peeved about the fact that Notch has managed to rake in millions of dollars despite what appears to be a lack of care and discipline (oh sorry our auth servers went down because they were built into the webservers and we went on vacation ha ha ha).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: July 29, 2011, 02:40:05 pm »

By the way, Toady, you really shouldn't feel mad about Minecraft. It's really quite a different game with basically no gameplay.

Fixed.

By the way, more about Bay12 on NY Times blog:
http://6thfloor.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/29/the-fine-art-of-dwarf-fortress/?smid=tw-nytmag&seid=auto
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 02:45:58 pm by thvaz »

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: July 29, 2011, 03:22:00 pm »

By the way, Toady, you really shouldn't feel mad about Minecraft. It's really quite a different game with basically no gameplay.

That's how I feel about Minecraft as well.  No gameplay.  I appreciate that people have made some pretty awesome stuff with it, but I just don't get that motivation to tinker with something for the sake of tinkering.  I need the motivation of actually having a problem to solve.  I build stuff in Dwarf Fortress to keep my dwarves alive, so that I can continue to watch the loosely guided/procedurally generated story unfold.  It's challenging and there's a reward.  Building something inside a game just to build something inside a game and maybe make a two minute youtube video of it after your dozens of hours of work just has a mysterious lack of appeal for me...

If I were going to put forth that kind of effort, I'd do it in real life and have something to show for it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: July 29, 2011, 04:44:55 pm »

The thing I like about Sandbox games is that for the most part the things I do have some sort of significance.

There are too many sandboxes comming out on the indie side that simply make their games into a HUGE game of Legos with a few enemies on the side. I'd name names but people still like them and I'd be hunted down for saying it.

Dwarf Fortress is a game that puts the significance back into what you do, maybe not right now but eventually, where if you go to a capital and murder the ruler that it WILL have changes to how the game fuctions and how you play the game.

Minecraft... You could hallow out the entire map, build a skyscraper to the sky, blow things up... and it would in many ways still be the same.

Plus a lot of games with HUGE randomness end up with HORRIBLE HORRIBLE maps. A lot of linear games had a wide variety of maps and scope of gameplay. It honestly is making me wish for those games again.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:47:09 pm by Neonivek »

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: July 29, 2011, 04:47:11 pm »

There are too many sandboxes comming out on the indie side that simply make their games into a HUGE game of Legos with a few enemies on the side. I'd name names but people still like them and I'd be hunted down for saying it.

To be fair: What's wrong with Legos? That's not necessarily a bad thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: July 29, 2011, 04:48:40 pm »

To be fair: What's wrong with Legos? That's not necessarily a bad thing.

Sure, lets go play legos. I love legos. I make Tank Turtles they are my favorite.

What was that? There is a sandbox game with tons of things to do? YEAH!

What was that? The sandbox ONLY has Legos which do nothing? Hmm... now it isn't so great.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: July 29, 2011, 04:50:12 pm »

Legos are nice, but in the end what is made is meaningless.  Even if it's shown to friends and appreciated it serves as little more than decoration.

EDIT: I'm sure that can be said about a lot of games, but in other games often what is done opens up other possibilities for fun within the game.   In something like minecraft after building your crafting stuff and your equipment you just build like legos, and those things made after that point really don't do much to expand what you can do for entertainment.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 04:52:32 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: July 29, 2011, 07:12:43 pm »

I just searched the NY Times site for Dwarf Fortress and it seems they've posted another short paragraph for people who want to learn how to play. Apparently, there's a class at the "University of Reddit" (the website) that will be streaming soon. Roughly 700 people have signed up for it, so it seems that the article may have been good for numbers here.
"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: July 29, 2011, 07:25:28 pm »

I just searched the NY Times site for Dwarf Fortress and it seems they've posted another short paragraph for people who want to learn how to play. Apparently, there's a class at the "University of Reddit" (the website) that will be streaming soon. Roughly 700 people have signed up for it, so it seems that the article may have been good for numbers here.

Either that or Dwarf Fortress is so difficult to play that it has become an area of academic study.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: July 29, 2011, 07:47:43 pm »

Either that or academia really isn't that hard to being with. :P

"College? Dude, I played Dwarf Fortress. My diploma menaces with spikes of knowledge."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Conrad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 29, 2011, 08:01:50 pm »

Sigged!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 29, 2011, 08:36:16 pm »

Looks like this article is having a real effect on Toady's project.

Assuming it isn't a coincidence.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 29, 2011, 09:38:26 pm »

Heh, the additional photos Toady linked to on the creation of the self-portraits reminds me of andy warhol. Tarn is a true artist!

editz: I compared Toady to Van Gogh and Andy Warhol in separate posts in the same topic, yessssss
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:40:26 pm by BloodBeard »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24