Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: "We should kill women for miscarrying" says crazy vagrant dressed as politician  (Read 6151 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

Is it unconstitutional?  I mean, the US constitution doesn't forbid every conceivable stupid law...

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Is it unconstitutional?  I mean, the US constitution doesn't forbid every conceivable stupid law...

Provide me with a US law of equal or greater stupidity.

To put it simply, this is against the bill of rights.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I'm not worried. This bill is unconstitutional and a gross violation of human rights. It ain't gonna pass.
Have ya seen the right-wingers lately? There's a lot of 'em in Georgia's governing bodies...
This is not right-wing. Right-wing is outlawing elective abortions. Right-wing is favoring protectionism over cooperating with other nation's economies. Right-wing is refusing to legalize gay marriage. Right-wing is less strict gun control. Right-wing is Nikov.

This man is what we in the scientific field call "Batshit Crazy".

The Eighth Amendment outlaws "Cruel or Unusual Punishment", which I think most everyone in the world would classify outlawing miscarrages as being. In addition, Roe vs. Wade is federal law, so state law cannot criminalize abortions (and any sane court in the world would probably extend that to miscarrages as well.). In addition, the Supreme Court has ruled before that the only crimes one can be put to death for are Murder and High Treason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2011, 07:19:40 pm by MetalSlimeHunt »
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Urist is dead tome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not worried. This bill is unconstitutional and a gross violation of human rights. It ain't gonna pass.
Have ya seen the right-wingers lately? There's a lot of 'em in Georgia's governing bodies...

Ya can't blame everything on the right, man. I am very conservative and I personally blame Nixon for this crap economy. Credit where credit is due, man. Or blame, as it were.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The Eighth Amendment outlaws "Cruel or Unusual Punishment", which I think most everyone in the world would classify outlawing miscarrages as being. In addition, Roe vs. Wade is federal law, so state law cannot criminalize abortions (and any sane court in the world would probably extend that to miscarrages as well.). In addition, the Supreme Court has ruled before that the only crimes one can be put to death for are Murder and High Treason.
I would've thought "cruel or unusual punishment" refers to the actual punishment itself, not it in relation the the crime, so as long as the death penalty is performed in one of the standard ways, I wouldn't think it would breach that bit.  Those two Supreme Court decisions seem more likely to stop it, though.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile

That is an incredibly vague and uninformative video.

Digging around a bit, it appears the bill is not "miscarriage and you die," but "fetuses are people so killing them is murder, thus all miscarriages are to be investigated as potential homicides, which are sometimes punishable by death." Perhaps a bit impractical, and would be struck down for opposing federal laws regardless, but at least internally consistent.

More far-right and Fuck Da Po-lice than babbling mountain man in a suit, I think.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile

I would've thought "cruel or unusual punishment" refers to the actual punishment itself, not it in relation the the crime, so as long as the death penalty is performed in one of the standard ways, I wouldn't think it would breach that bit.
Do you consider it cruel or unusual to punish and criminally convict women for having miscarrages in any way, death penalty nonwithstanding? I would imagine the answer is yes, and that's the answer you'd get from the vast majority of people in the Western World. Under that logic, any sort of conviction would be cruel and unusual, allowing the Supreme Court to put the smack-down on a bill like this (assuming that it somehow managed to pass, which isn't going to happen, even in Georgia).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile

I'm not worried that this law might pass. Because it will not, clean and simple. No way no how! What worries me is that there is somebody is a high enough position of power to suggest such a thing.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

What worries me is that it doesn't even surprise me in the slightest.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile

vote Shithead.
Or outlaw the Cthuthu party.
Hey! The C'thulu party is a reasonable political party with clear goals. Praise C'thulu!
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well it can disbar this member.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

vote Shithead.
Or outlaw the Cthuthu party.
Hey! The C'thulu party is a reasonable political party with clear goals. Praise C'thulu!
Fhtagn!

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us

I can totally see the new republican party slogan being "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I can totally see the new republican party slogan being "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"
Even Cthulhu has standards you know, SO STICK TO THEM!  :D
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Do you consider it cruel or unusual to punish and criminally convict women for having miscarrages in any way, death penalty nonwithstanding? I would imagine the answer is yes, and that's the answer you'd get from the vast majority of people in the Western World. Under that logic, any sort of conviction would be cruel and unusual, allowing the Supreme Court to put the smack-down on a bill like this (assuming that it somehow managed to pass, which isn't going to happen, even in Georgia).
Yes, it would be cruel and unusual (and retarded and unfair and so on).  But it wouldn't be a cruel or unusual punishment.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5