Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Best free roguelike game?  (Read 11691 times)

Fishersalwaysdie

• Bay Watcher
  • Slayer of Threads
    • View Profile
    • http://chupacabra
Re: Best free roguelike game?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2008, 07:58:06 pm »

The description in the main post doesn't sound like a roguelike either if you say so.
Cannot find self-destruction button, could have sworn it's somewhere here...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2008, 08:02:53 pm »

Unreal World, it's not exactly free, in fact it's probably the reason why you added 'free' in the topic title, but don't happen to care.

Oh yeah, correct it's not free, but that is not a roguelike at all. + It's hella cheap anyway.  ;D

oh, thanks for reminding me of it. I have an installation on my old computer. It was great to hunt things, build a small homestead and die for stupid reasons :).
« Last Edit: December 20, 2008, 08:04:50 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2008, 08:21:41 pm »

I'd go for Unreal World too. It's barely a roguelike, but then again it could be. I've been eager to buy it, until I came across DF :P

My favorites are IVAN and ADOM. I'd still be playing both all the time, but I prefer DF more these days ;)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2008, 08:28:33 pm »

The description in the main post doesn't sound like a roguelike either if you say so.

True...I think that the OP is looking for an RPG game which has some strategy elements in it also.  ;)

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2008, 08:31:46 pm »

True...I think that the OP is looking for an RPG game which has some strategy elements in it also.  ;)

Please if it was that easy Xenosaga, or anything by Nippon Ichi would suffice.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2008, 01:56:16 am »

Gearhead. Thats the best I can figure. Has a storyline that is fairly random but seems good (note that I haven't gotten anywhere do to my mech blowing up and all the replacement mechs sucking.), mechs, party system, almost every NPC can give you quests, and duct tape robots.

Gearhead II is under development, but is arguably worse for the whole you're-screwed-if-you've-no-mech syndrome. There's some really slick stuff in GH2, but even factoring in that it's incomplete I'm not sure I can say I like it better than the original (though in fairness that may just be a lack of Martian princesses).

And I don't know where you get off talking about duct tape robots. Everyone knows that robots should be made out of superglue. Well, superglue and chainsaws.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2008, 02:02:41 am »

Incursion...and also what?! There are any non-free roguelikes at all?  :o

It depends on what you consider to be the "essential" characteristics of a roguelike. If it's an RPG with randomized dungeons and a concern with e.g. item identification, something like the venerable Dungeon Hack could most certainly qualify (indeed, the very name suggests it was intended to, as was its arbitrary quest for an unnamed magical doodad). I've seen one or two other commercial ones over the years, but none that merit mention. Generally, they're not ASCII graphics, so if that's an essential in your eyes, you'll find far fewer.

firefly28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2008, 11:48:01 am »

I plan to revisit ADOM again and I have never heard of that IVAN but shall try that. (After complete majesty)

Loads of great stuff though! I will have plenty to do over christmas, thats for sure!

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2008, 12:20:33 pm »

I can't remember it's name, but someone else might. It was a RL that focused on story, and you did magic with a paintbrush or something like that. I know that's not much help, but I swear it exists.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2008, 12:45:55 pm »

It was a RL that focused on story, and you did magic with a paintbrush or something like that.
Legerdemain.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2008, 01:23:29 pm »

I only ever got out of the dungeon before dying. That was my best attempt. Right now I am wrestling with ADOM (So far, I think I prefer magicians), but I am getting just a little farther. Damn werejackles...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2008, 01:48:40 pm »

Just about to check out ToME...  I have to say, that symbiant character class is a remarkable idea, one that I strongly approve of.  Anyone know of other games that have something similar?

I'm going to see if it's possible to create a death mold symbiant.  A mold that sticks other molds onto itself.  Brilliant. 

I'm going to become a gargantuan collection of sentient molds that kills everything in its path in the quest for...  Something.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2008, 01:50:19 pm »

I'm going to see if it's possible to create a death mold symbiant.  A mold that sticks other molds onto itself.  Brilliant. 

I'm going to become a gargantuan collection of sentient molds that kills everything in its path in the quest for...  Something.
I'm downloading ToME again.

Dwarfaholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://(none)
« Reply #28 on: December 21, 2008, 01:52:33 pm »

Just about to check out ToME...  I have to say, that symbiant character class is a remarkable idea, one that I strongly approve of.  Anyone know of other games that have something similar?

I am going to download this game now.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2008, 04:17:00 pm »

Wait...  Why are there only five races to choose from?  More importantly, why is death mold not one of them?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4