Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher  (Read 27814 times)

jcd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ☼GUI☼ - Everything about the Launcher
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2014, 11:40:17 am »

i've been exporting all the options and their details for a while now. if you don't want to use the exe you could use this to determine what settings you'd like changed and write your own scripts.

this is really very useful, i have indeed started to work on a python script to act as a backend, dependent on a config file that's based on your JSON. (i hadn't realized that there were ~400 option variables currently on the GUI. wow!)
Anyway, the idea is to read the options from the config, then parse the JSON for info on how to apply changed options.
Hopefully i will complete it and will be able to provide it as an (much uglier) alternative to the GUI, but OS-independent.

I have three questions though:

What about the "AffectsGraphicPacks" and "HasFileOverrides" variables?

A. AffectsGraphicPacks: Does it mean that by enabling an option (that has AffectsGraphicPacks set to true), the way the graphics pack works changes? If so how?
Is it also used when installing new tilesets?
Can you explain how "AffectsGraphicPacks": true, is processed by the GUI?

B. HasFileOverrides: Same deal here, but i understand it even less. What happens when its true?

C. From what i saw, the json hasn't info on how to change tilesets and colorschemes. These aren't hard to do, but did i miss any other important GUI options that the JSON lacks?
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 11:43:44 am by jcd »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »

i've been exporting all the options and their details for a while now. if you don't want to use the exe you could use this to determine what settings you'd like changed and write your own scripts.

this is really very useful, i have indeed started to work on a python script to act as a backend, dependent on a config file that's based on your JSON. (i hadn't realized that there were ~400 option variables currently on the GUI. wow!)
Anyway, the idea is to read the options from the config, then parse the JSON for info on how to apply changed options.
Hopefully i will complete it and will be able to provide it as an (much uglier) alternative to the GUI, but OS-independent.

I have three questions though:

What about the "AffectsGraphicPacks" and "HasFileOverrides" variables?

A. AffectsGraphicPacks: Does it mean that by enabling an option (that has AffectsGraphicPacks set to true), the way the graphics pack works changes? If so how?
Is it also used when installing new tilesets?
Can you explain how "AffectsGraphicPacks": true, is processed by the GUI?

B. HasFileOverrides: Same deal here, but i understand it even less. What happens when its true?

C. From what i saw, the json hasn't info on how to change tilesets and colorschemes. These aren't hard to do, but did i miss any other important GUI options that the JSON lacks?
A: this means that the files in MasterworkDwarfFortress/graphics/<packNameHere>/raws are also updated when the option is changed. this is just to support tileset changing, as that's literally a copy paste of what's in the graphics pack folders to the main DF folder(s). the same thing could be accomplished by doing the copy/paste of the graphics pack files, and the reapplying the options chosen in the GUI.

Edit: i should expand on this. in addition to copy/pasting the files, Meph has now merged most of the tilesets. this means that to change a tileset, you'll want to toggle one tileset on, and the others off. the different types of tileset types are defined in the graphics_definitions.JSON. so for example to change from MDF to PHOEBUS you'd want to replace all instances of YESMDF_GRAPHICS[ with !NOMDF_GRAPHICS! and all instances of !NOPHOEBUS_GRAPHICS! with YESPHOEBUS_GRAPHICS[

B: this can be ignored. it's more for debugging/testing purposes to indicate that the GUI doesn't automatically search for the option pattern/tags in the files, but instead uses a specifically defined file.

C: the only thing not exported are the color schemes, tilesets, and the current world gen template selected.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 12:56:04 pm by splinterz »

urmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 01:59:29 pm »

Here's the current source to my quick-n-dirty option enable/disable:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash

if [ ! -d "Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects" ] ; then
  echo "Error: must run from the top level Mastwork Dwarf Fortress directory"
  echo "Exiting"
  exit
fi

cd "Dwarf Fortress/raw/objects"

if [ $1 == "enable" ] ; then
  ACTION="enable"
elif [ $1 == "disable" ] ; then
  ACTION="disable"
elif [ $1 == "list" ] ; then
  egrep 'YES|!NO' *.txt | perl -ne 'if ( (/(YES\w+)/) || (/(!NO\w+)/) ) { print "$1\n"; }' | sort -u
else
  echo 'Usage: mdf-config enable|disable <option>'
  echo "Exiting"
  exit
fi

shift
for cfg in $@ ; do
  cfgl=${cfg,,}
  cfgu=${cfg^^}
  if [ $ACTION == "disable" ] ; then
    echo "Disabling ${cfgu}"
    GRP="\bYES${cfgu}\b"
    PAT="YES${cfgu}\["
    REP="\\!NO${cfgu}\\!"
  else
    echo "Enabling ${cfgu}"
    GRP="\bNO${cfgu}\b"
    PAT="\\!NO${cfgu}\\!"
    REP="YES${cfgu}\["
  fi
  grep -l "$GRP" *.txt | xargs -n 1 sed -i -e "s/$PAT/$REP/g" &>/dev/null
done

jcd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »

@splinterz:
i see. thx a lot but i have one more question about the A:

Clear enough, the raws of the tilesets (or current tileset) need updating as per the option changes.
That JSON has info on how existing tilesets are named and their default colorschemes, ok up to here.

But where do we place/replace those instances of YESTILESETNAME_GRAPHICS[ and !NOTILESETNAME_GRAPHICS! ??
With a grep in the Dwarf Fortress folder i could find no instances of _GRAPHICS! or YESMDF_GRAPHICS
(i use the default tileset so i should have at least found somewhere a YESMDF_GRAPHICS[ , is this correct? )
are those tags only written if you change your tileset at least once?

@Urmane: no time to read that properly, i'll see later what i can use from it. ty too
EDIT - as far as i understand your script, this only enables you to change YES/NO values in the options.
Interesting but i shall aim for moar!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 05:32:20 pm by jcd »

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2014, 03:37:05 pm »

the new _GRAPHICS stuff only applies to 5.0.3 and later, you won't find them in the earlier versions.

in versions prior to that, it's just a simple copy/paste of the graphics pack directory files to the main df files. well, technically you want to do a merge of the d_init.txt for only the relevant tileset stuff, but you get the idea.

Blazebase

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »

I have a small problem on my hands with the V5.05 patch, I get the 7zip pack, extract it to a new folder which in this case we will call "Masterwork"

Upon extraction, everything seems to be operating well, until I try to click the launcher. It shows that something is loading, no visible screen tho, then it just stops loading, deletes the launcher and leaves me baffled.

What could possibly do this and how do I get it to run?

EDIT: Turns out my firewall was instantly taking this thing down due to part that it's a very new application to hit the web. So it thinks Defcon 2 has gone down and gets rid of it.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2014, 06:30:52 pm by Blazebase »
Playing with fire is bad for those who burn themselves.  For the rest of us, it is a very great pleasure.  ~Author Unknown

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 13, 2014, 12:37:23 am »

Could you put the tabs workshops and furnaces into a new tab named "Dwarfs" then make a tab for each race. Also in the warlock tab... can you make it so that vampire are optional?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #37 on: June 13, 2014, 09:24:13 am »

Could you put the tabs workshops and furnaces into a new tab named "Dwarfs" then make a tab for each race. Also in the warlock tab... can you make it so that vampire are optional?
If you give a list of suggestions for different races, maybe we can do that. But not sure what you'd want to change.

Warlock Vampires will be gone after the next update anyway, or at least slightly changed, because the current system doesnt work that well.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Omnicast

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2014, 05:28:34 pm »

Ah okay never mind then I wouldn't know what could be optional in the other races as I don't play them. I just wanted to kill off vampires in my game. Gonna post more about it in the warlock section as it's all about that race.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:36 pm »

I guess I'll put this here.  If you turn off harder mining, it messes up Tears of Armok.  Specifically they appear on the prospects and such as FROSTBRAND_DECO, since only the inorganic tag is getting removed.  I'm not sure what other effects this has.  I do know that in my last embark (with aquifers turned off) the Tears I found didn't have aquifers around them (though 4j did, even with aquifers off). Only other difference between this and the older versions was I turned Harder Smithing off, in case that matters.  edit: Starting an embark turning on aquifers, tears are now having aquifers so I'm guessing that was that.

There is also some oddness, which may be related, in that all the reactions that use the Tears of Armok will actually work with any rough gem.  So you can create waterlings using topazes.  I pretty much always have harder mining off, if that matters.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 06:51:45 pm by arbarbonif »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2014, 10:16:59 pm »

I'd love to see expanded combo boxes for the "other creatures" tab, just like it is in the civilizations tab.

That is all, love the work guys.  Hope to see a new DT soon!

Urist Mc Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2014, 02:56:21 pm »

How about an option to make differnet creatures tameable and trainable?

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 18, 2014, 06:11:01 pm »

I fixed the Tears of Armok in my local and the problems with waterlings being made from Topazes went away, so I'm guessing that is the problem with that as well.  Just remove the nowarp bit and everything is happy.

chaosfiend

• Bay Watcher
  • Hail the Cutebold Overlords
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2014, 07:37:50 pm »

Alright, I'm getting a really annoying problem with the GUI for version 5.07. I've done fresh new loads of the whole zip file three times, and each time I open the GUI, the icons above the Settings, Civilizations, Other Creatures Tab, ect, are all invisible. I can click on the direct dwarf Fortress Launcher where it chould be, but if I try click where the Manuals are, or the open folder button is, I get this message:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Afterwards, the GUI crashes, and I'm left feeling sad and peeved that my kobold friends will be unable to create a grand bone and leather fortress of wonderment.

Any one able to tell me what is wrong?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2014, 07:42:53 pm »

What OS are you using, did you run the GUI as admin, and is your .NET-Framework up to date?
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9