Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should freshly entering mages be given +10/+10 worth of random essences?

Yes
- 19 (46.3%)
No
- 9 (22%)
It should be more than that
- 6 (14.6%)
It should be less than that
- 7 (17.1%)

Total Members Voted: 41

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 506

Author Topic: Roll to Magic: Turn 268 The finish line  (Read 1192732 times)

ATHATH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Roll to Magic: Turn 134 Plots and Conflicts
« Reply #4050 on: December 09, 2015, 10:54:51 pm »

((I'M GOING TO WIN!))
Any particular reason?

Well, I'll say its obvious, unless affinity things work when they are doing something they should not.
May you pm me more details? F.E.C.E.S. may be able to assist you.
Seriously, ATHATH, we need to have an intervention about your death mug problem.
*slow clap* Well ATHATH congratulations. You managed to give the MC a mental breakdown before we even finished the first arc.
I didn't even read it first, I just saw it was ATHATH and noped it. Now that I read it x3 to noping

thegamemaster1234

• Bay Watcher
  • [LINUX_USER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: December 10, 2015, 02:30:00 am »

Jiksap knew of diving barrels, of course, but was very disappointed to find a lack of an opening through which to breathe from. In fact, it appeared that there was no obvious way to open this container at all! Either someone lacked common sense in the purpose of a barrel-shaped hollow object, or there was more to this barrel than meets the eye.

Use machine sense on the barrel. If I can open it for the purpose of a diving barrel, dive after the meteor. Otherwise kick the stupid useless barrel around and call the creator of this entirely pointless three-dimensional mass some very bad names. Nerdy engineer bad names, of course.
Create 1 essence.

Trewque

• Bay Watcher
  • Revan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: December 10, 2015, 11:29:19 am »

Tell my raptors to start investigating the nearby area, and to inform me if there is anything unusual, amiss, or interesting.

Craft 3 essences.

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: December 12, 2015, 07:34:53 am »

No turn yet, but I have some news.

First, prototype legend.
Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)

I'd like some feedback on that, especialy if you want something else added.

Then, it seems that votes on opinions on nerfing Essences have been exhauseted, with 8 to 15 in favor of nerfs, with the most popular nerf choice being SPD/DEX penalties. I will remake the pool with option of no nerf removed so that those who voted for no nerf could chose a nerf they find least terrible. The nerf will become active at the end of next turn.
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: December 12, 2015, 08:53:25 am »

Thanks a lot for the legend, seems like I have some more time to chill out and ignore my pet project (Grand Compedium).

I'm quite sure that new poll options would have no clear winner. But I might be mistaken.
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Atomic Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: December 12, 2015, 10:46:22 am »

PM'ed turn

The legend's excellent!
As mentioned in the previous turn, the most exciting field of battle this year will be in the Arstotzkan capitol, with plenty of close-quarter fighting and siege warfare.  Arstotzka, accordingly, spent their design phase developing a high-altitude tactical bomber. 

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: December 12, 2015, 01:15:32 pm »

((The legend is good.))

((Very good.))

((Note that using essences to fight will become difficult at the end of next turn, so if you want to take advantage of that, you should.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: December 12, 2015, 02:11:40 pm »

i don't like dis nerf. I guess I will go for ritual though just to still be able to do complex things.

wait no.... I'm going with cap
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:15:05 pm by endlessblaze »
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: December 12, 2015, 02:24:21 pm »

"Wizard" isn't capitalized. Looks great, though!

Edit: I may have already mentioned this, but SPD/DEX penalties

• still allow for +10/+10 doomspells, if you can survive one turn of combat (you likely can)
  • still require you to post "+3 essences" every single turn
  • still aren't as interesting as rituals could be

If we're doing SPD/DEX penalties, a SPD roll of below 0 should cost you your turn, to prevent deathspells, but I still think rituals are better. They have so much potential: you could sacrifice objects or players; long-term cooperation would be encouraged; gods could get more involved. SPD/DEX penalties are also less meaningful outside of combat, and while out-of-combat essence use isn't as much of an issue as in-combat essence use, you really shouldn't be create a large-scale spell with one turn and the spell's description, regardless of how many turns you spent grinding for essences.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 02:30:07 pm by Elephant Parade »

DreamerGhost

• Bay Watcher
  • Seems legitimate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: December 12, 2015, 04:40:59 pm »

((If two mages both go into negative spd in combat the one more negative moves last. No bottom to eqalize, meaning that +10/+10 doomspels can be prevented by +7/+7 doomspels nine times out of ten))
The point of keeping the golems on fire isn't for the value of fire as a weapon. It's more to keep the golems functioning at a reasonable speed.
It was never a promise. It was a dirty lie, and you all knew that. You should all know by now that you can't trust a word I say.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: December 12, 2015, 04:49:42 pm »

But (one of) the problems is it's still all doomspells.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 04:58:38 pm by NAV »
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: December 12, 2015, 04:58:49 pm »

((The thing is, you don't need to kill them in one hit. You just need to interrupt their spell via unconsciousness or extreme pain.

When used properly, that weakness would give small, clever spells a big advantage over meteor impacts.))

Elephant Parade

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: December 12, 2015, 05:31:01 pm »

((If two mages both go into negative spd in combat the one more negative moves last. No bottom to eqalize, meaning that +10/+10 doomspels can be prevented by +7/+7 doomspels nine times out of ten))
But (one of) the problems is it's still all doomspells.
Also, not everyone has the resources for even +7/+7 doomspells, meaning we're back to where we were before: those with essences have a colossal advantage over those without.

Whisperling

• Bay Watcher
  • Indefinite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: December 12, 2015, 05:51:58 pm »

Also, not everyone has the resources for even +7/+7 doomspells, meaning we're back to where we were before: those with essences have a colossal advantage over those without.

((I'm going to answer this by restating my previous argument.))

((The thing is, you don't need to kill them in one hit. You just need to interrupt their spell via unconsciousness or extreme pain.

When used properly, that weakness would give small, clever spells a big advantage over meteor impacts.))

((A +2+2 distraction could potentially make your opponent fumble a much larger spell. Once you're guaranteed the time to work, it's all about tactics and creativity- essentially, the art of stopping your opponent with as little power as possible.))

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: December 12, 2015, 05:53:55 pm »

((If you use a +7/+7 doom spell in combat, you're basically going last. All it takes is one "ranged(-1) shatter(0 or -1) skull(-1)" to put an end to that doom spell. So yeah, what Whisperling said.))
((Or better yet, summon a sword ahead of time and stab stab.))
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 506