Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Combat strategies?  (Read 8168 times)

vintermann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Combat strategies?
« on: June 08, 2011, 03:46:12 am »

What do you do to win, assuming you're not too overpowered, and not too overloaded with companions?

Is stuff like pommel strikes ever worth it? Is dual-wielding whips and spears? Any special considerations you should take when fighting specific types of enemies?

Share your combat strategies with a relative newbie at Adventure mode!

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Combat strategies?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 04:08:40 am »

pommeling is fun when you can bash your enemies skull through their brain.

but as of strategies, i usually aim for upper- / lower body or head unless they are really hard to hit. against humans i sometimes try to hit their weapon arm so they cant kill me :P
it would be also quite handy to break legs so your enemies cant run away and you can move on to next target, as it takes quite a while to crawl anywhere, bleeding.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 04:13:40 am »

The trick to killing crowds is to seperate them and kill them one by one. The trick to killing things faster and stronger than you is to TAKE OUT THE LEGS, take out the arms and then go in for the kill. I usually have more luck dual wielding swords than having a sword and a shield, too.

Oh, there's one more thing. NEVER, EVER GET SURROUNDED.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2011, 04:23:59 am »

Putting all your points in ambush and then throwing rocks at things until they die is a good strategy.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 04:28:42 am »

i think every adventurer is a legendary wrestler so for roughly human-sized opponents it's just as easy as grab throat -> choke throat -> strangle throat. just 3 moves make anyone unconscious and defenseless.
With bogeymen gouging eyes helps and with larger monsters you have to hurt their feet or legs so that they fall over and stop bashing you to the ground.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 05:12:18 am »

The trick to killing crowds is to seperate them and kill them one by one. The trick to killing things faster and stronger than you is to TAKE OUT THE LEGS, take out the arms and then go in for the kill. I usually have more luck dual wielding swords than having a sword and a shield, too.

Oh, there's one more thing. NEVER, EVER GET SURROUNDED.

I agree with this.  Breaking or cutting the legs so severely will usually make the enemy fall down, and you can hit them easier as a result.  This is great against enemies larger than yourself, such as horses. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 05:20:23 am »

Disabling feet/hooves/whatever is the most effective strategy to make them lose the ability to stand.
If you're fast, you can get 10 hits in for every one you take. If an enemy is next to you, back-step and wait. When they move in, hit them and back-step again. This also helps with not getting swarmed.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2011, 07:29:19 am »

keep moveing, dont  stand still.
the legs are a second target to the weapon arm, if both attacks are the same.

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2011, 07:33:36 am »

Hey, does dual-wielding swords give any bonuses? I always use a shield because they've saved me in the past against titans and dragons, but are there any good points about dual-wielding?

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 07:46:04 am »

If you get a chipped bone, you are completely screwed. There is nothing you can do except try to crawl away and get bludgeoned to death by whatever caused the injury.

Anyway, I just spend a few turns going for 'easier strikes', to immobilise/neutralise the target before moving on to the next one. Then I come back and play with them until they die :D
[Signature]

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 08:36:06 am »

Hey, does dual-wielding swords give any bonuses? I always use a shield because they've saved me in the past against titans and dragons, but are there any good points about dual-wielding?
it does when your right hand sword gets stuck in the enemy (which is surprisingly common)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 08:38:39 am »

it does when your right hand sword gets stuck in the enemy (which is surprisingly common)
It only takes 1 turn to free your weapon, and you can use it to put yourself in a more favorable position, as moving also frees your weapon.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2011, 11:17:57 am »

pro tip 1: head shots are not all ways a one hit kill, i just got reminded the hard way,got the sword lodged as well.

pro tip 2: after an attack wounds on the enemy there guard lowers, use this operning to kil them.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 11:44:28 am »

My method, when using an axe, which I usually use?

Go for the legs until they fall down and can't get up, and then hack off any limbs until they bleed to death, go for the head if it's open. The upper or lower body aren't ever good targest unless you have a spear or blunt weapon.
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2011, 02:04:21 pm »

Don't forget thrown weapons! aside from throwing bolts and arrows one by one (you get them for free when you visit bandit camps), you can and should throw anything at enemies (especially bosses) to soften them up... by "anything" i mean:
- any weapon you don't plan on using in melee (you can always collect it later if you want)
- chopped body parts (even yours, don't be shy!)
- corpses (I normally carry in my backpack a megabeast corpse that I throw as my first combat action, then retrieve at the end of the fight)
- misc. objects from lairs and fortresses
- butterflies
- rocks (possibly sharpened)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5