Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23

Author Topic: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [SUCCESSION_FORT][NEED_OVERSEERS]  (Read 32282 times)

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icemachines, saving the world from starvation [COMMUNITY_FORT]
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2011, 03:16:04 am »

You got pretty lucky with the adamantine! I never had adamantine on the third cavern.

At least twenty dwarves and not a single weaponsmith, I'll have to wait for the next wave.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2011, 06:52:53 am »

First of all, there is a speardwarf among the migrants, which I believe is something I pretty much originally asked for (the original dwarves' list showed their skills, not preferences, which is why I asked for one who liked spears as opposed to was already skilled with them). Why give me a mason (granted, one skilled in wearing armour) when a more fitting candidate is present?

Secondly, at least one more person has asked for a marksdwarf, of which there is one among the new migrants.

Thirdly, I asked for a non-username-name. I originally went for Ninugog, but how about Kalugog?

The concept remains as originally intended, a dwarf who dreams of leading an orderly army, a neat, unbreakable and well-disciplined phalanx against all enemies. She's humourless and dislikes the normal 'just charge them like barbarians' tactic. If there will be axedwarves under her command, she will try to arm them with halberds, even going so far as to pressure brokers into buying halberds from human traders if the craftsdwarves don't make any. While she has great respect for general Mebzuth, she believes that the poleaxe is just plainly a far superior weapon to the handaxe and that dwarves should learn to reorient themselves to the two-handed weapon - she is certain that fine dwarven armour is more than enough to render shields redundant for those soldiers who have the heaviest plate.

If Hatebeard is the militia leader of the group, she will be glad just to lead her own squad and will take even more pains to ensure that they are well-trained and examplary, intent to prove her superiority through a show of leadership skill rather than posturing or sabotage, which she sees as dishonourable. She will still see phalanx tactics and reach weapons as the epitome of a true soldier and will risk her and her followers lives to prove her beliefs to others.

Unlike what seems to be the norm for namedwarf warriors, she will shun the idea of fighting enemies by oneself for personal glory and see leading a unit of skilled soldiers into battle as the more worthy deed - good leadership and discipline is more valued than individual combat skill. This should be a nice change from the normal dwarven glory-seeking, methinks.

That speardwarf being a siege engineer as well is excellent. She might alternate between those tasks, or at least be interested in elaborate, ballistae-rich defensive structures.

She resents her past training as a cook and while she might prepare rations for herself and her fellow soldiers, she considers making elaborate meals undwarfy.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 07:58:39 am by ushilzagith »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2011, 08:26:21 am »

Sphala's journal.

How things have turned around!  Just a year ago we were set out to this bleak and frozen land, to die we all thought.  And then those two unfortunates died to cavern monsters so early on.

Well look at me now!  Married to my beloved Yerp, in a lovely cavern under a glittering outcrop of the most magnificent mineral there is.  It's a fine joke on the Queen that we've found such bliss here.  Word must have spread, or perhaps the Queen found an excuse to exile some more unlucky hungry mouths out here, for we have a wave of immigrants!  We even have a replacement farmer, and to my delight Arzun has her planting pig tail along with the food crops.

I just with Arzun could be happier for all us.  He's been so on edge lately.

(sigh)  With the new immigrants, I expect Arzun will want me to make more stone furniture.  I admit it's practical, but I had a lot more fun making the statues.  There's just not much room for creativity in tables and cabinets.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2011, 09:20:55 am »

Ahras journal,
goddammit now im doomed, those who discovers the miners bane dies, one way or another before their time armok gave us have passed.
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2011, 05:44:16 pm »

First of all, there is a speardwarf among the migrants, which I believe is something I pretty much originally asked for (the original dwarves' list showed their skills, not preferences, which is why I asked for one who liked spears as opposed to was already skilled with them). Why give me a mason (granted, one skilled in wearing armour) when a more fitting candidate is present?

Secondly, at least one more person has asked for a marksdwarf, of which there is one among the new migrants.

Thirdly, I asked for a non-username-name. I originally went for Ninugog, but how about Kalugog?

The concept remains as originally intended, a dwarf who dreams of leading an orderly army, a neat, unbreakable and well-disciplined phalanx against all enemies. She's humourless and dislikes the normal 'just charge them like barbarians' tactic. If there will be axedwarves under her command, she will try to arm them with halberds, even going so far as to pressure brokers into buying halberds from human traders if the craftsdwarves don't make any. While she has great respect for general Mebzuth, she believes that the poleaxe is just plainly a far superior weapon to the handaxe and that dwarves should learn to reorient themselves to the two-handed weapon - she is certain that fine dwarven armour is more than enough to render shields redundant for those soldiers who have the heaviest plate.

If Hatebeard is the militia leader of the group, she will be glad just to lead her own squad and will take even more pains to ensure that they are well-trained and examplary, intent to prove her superiority through a show of leadership skill rather than posturing or sabotage, which she sees as dishonourable. She will still see phalanx tactics and reach weapons as the epitome of a true soldier and will risk her and her followers lives to prove her beliefs to others.

Unlike what seems to be the norm for namedwarf warriors, she will shun the idea of fighting enemies by oneself for personal glory and see leading a unit of skilled soldiers into battle as the more worthy deed - good leadership and discipline is more valued than individual combat skill. This should be a nice change from the normal dwarven glory-seeking, methinks.

That speardwarf being a siege engineer as well is excellent. She might alternate between those tasks, or at least be interested in elaborate, ballistae-rich defensive structures.

She resents her past training as a cook and while she might prepare rations for herself and her fellow soldiers, she considers making elaborate meals undwarfy.
Whoops. My apologies. Fixing it now.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2011, 08:14:32 pm »

Arzun's Log, Spring - Summer, 2nd year of Exile:

Oops. It appears I mixed up the identities of a few dwarves in my last log.

Well, this season was rather noteworthy. A peasant of little worth suddenly began whispering to himself, talking to noone. He rushed down to the crafter's shop and kicked Ahra out, then locked himself inside with some stone and wood.

He ended up building the most useless object he could possibly come up with, a wooden bracelet. It's not even all that good to look at.

Yerp had just stepped out into the snow to get a look at the area. Sphala had claimed that it was more beautiful than any of her statues if you looked at it right. He had no idea how she came to this conclusion; the landscape was a dull white, the area near the entrance covered in troglodyte blood from the dwarves who hadn't bothered to wash it off since last year.

As he stared into that desolate whiteness, he began to hear...music? Was he going crazy? It was as if a wooden flute were being played somewhere nearby. Yerp looked all around him, and saw nothing.

Then, several figures came over a slope. They stood tall, had blonde hair, and their ears seemed to be sharpened to points. One played a flute as they traveled. The pair of elves had mules, loaded with goods, in tow.

Of course, as it was their duty to produce food for the mountainhomes, Arzun reluctantly traded many stone crafts and masterwork statues for the elves' entire food supply, and some miscellaneous wooden items like Crutches.

Arzun's Log, Supplemental:

Well, the trade with the elves was...successful. Their music was just awful, and I managed to get most of their caravan for a steal.

In other news, the Hall of Legends is complete.

Here, we shall bury those that die in battle. They shall rest eternally in a room full of masterwork statues(courtesy of Sphala) and engraved floors and walls(courtesy of Wes). In fact, here are a few engravings from the hall:

After this had happened, one of the dwarves had a kid. And then a horde of unwashed foo- I mean, a group of migrants arrived.

Ahra struck the stone with his pick, glad to once again feel the vibrations of the deep earth around him. It was quite warm down here, and Ahra had to wipe the sweat from his brow several times. This was by far the deepest they had ever dug.

Ahra took one more strike into the stone...
And the pick came back glowing a reddish-white from contact with something extremely hot.

Arzun's Log, Supplemental(Again!?):
Well, we've finally done it. We've struck the magma beneath the third cavern. More magma than we could ever possibly find a use for, actually. But enough of that.

Icemachines finally has it's own militia.

I originally had two dwarves in the militia, Hatebeard and Kalugog, but although they both had great respect for Id Asol's general(damn spies), they disagreed greatly in preferred tactics. Hatebeard had her own modification of the traditional dwarven teachings, using the rage of the warrior to fuel powerful attacks with a sword. Kalugog preferred tactics, and preferred to use her spear with deadly accuracy and finesse to finish the enemy off. So, I split them into two squads, with one under each. Kalugog became the commander, and Hatebeard a captain. Mainly because I agree with Kalugog's views more than Hatebeard's.

The pair of dwarves stood in the barracks, swords drawn. Hatebeard and Likot were ready
to fight eachother.

Likot took the initiative, slashing forward with his wooden sword several times in succession.
Hatebeard dodged the first two slashes, laughing at him. "I didn't know they recruited blind
dwarves, Likot!"

The untrained dwarf then stabbed at Hatebeard, and his blow was easily parried. It was her
turn to attack, then, deftly slashing at Likot and landing a blow on his foot. When he attempted
to regain offense, Hatebeard parried the attack and hit him twice, forcing him backwards.
"You fail to understand, Likot. You'll never win if you can't harness your anger."
Likot responded with a growl, and charged forward. He tripped, hit Hatebeard's foot with the
pommel of his sword, and they fell over. She instinctively rolled around to Likot's side, and
poked him with the wooden sword.

This continued for quite some time, the clack of wood on wood echoing throughout the fortress.

Yerp and his new..."friend", Datost(who had stolen his job due to being a Grand Master Carpenter)
approached the cavern gate. As they did so, there was the grinding of an immense mechanical creation,
and the drawbridge lowered itself. Yerp took the liberty of admiring his wife's masterful stonework
before continuing onwards.

Apparently Datost wasn't only better at carpentry than Yerp, but she was also better at cutting trees down,
as she took her axe in hand and felled the mushroom caps with incredible speed. As he cut the
final tower cap, Yerp left his axe in it's stump and took a moment to wipe the sweat off his brow. At
that exact same moment, a huge orange-and-blue bird barely missed his head with it's talons.

Yerp dove forward, grabbed his axe, and chopped at the majestic beast, but he only severed a few of it's
tail feathers. The Giant Cave Swallow got the message, and flew away into the caverns.

PHEW. Long update. Anyway, any complaints about assignment should be reported to me immediately.
My Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 02, 2011, 09:11:20 pm »

I thought I asked for a milita dwarf? (Was hoping for the commander of military.)
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Firelordsky

• Bay Watcher
  • Moogle!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 02, 2011, 09:32:43 pm »

Maybe I'll just be apart of the militia.
Country Name: Lindiria
Name: Sir Alexei Robret
Region: North
In Thirteen Colonies Game

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2011, 09:43:45 pm »

I thought I asked for a milita dwarf? (Was hoping for the commander of military.)
I haven't found an Axedwarf yet. I could make Likot into one for you, though.
My Sig

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2011, 10:19:09 pm »

Do so.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

Roboboy33

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENJOYING_CATS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2011, 11:06:25 pm »

I can't help but seeing that the artifact bracelet is called "The Umbral Toe"
Anyways, love your writing.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

SHUT UP AND ENJOY THE CATS

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 12:45:22 am »

Cool, where's my booze? I'm off to hunting!
... uh, do we have crossbows, quivers and bolts?
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 03:25:50 am »

Kalugog is restless in her new bed, thinking about her past, present and future.

Unfit for service for reasons of lackluster physical capabilities.

Twenty-six years ago, that was what they told her in Hammerkills, the principal military outpost of Profanemachines. The reply was the same three years later, despite the goblins recent vicious attacks towards most of Profanemachines' fortresses. During the fifteen following years, the same result came to be in several other fortresses. She was kept from her dreams of glory. Her studies on lore regarding tactics was useless. She turned to several fortresses, but was always sent to mere cooking duties, something she never really had talent for or interest in. It was the temple to Asёn Gemmined in Ironchills which proved to be the answer. The temple guard could do with some soldiers and they were less demanding than most. Yet just when she felt she was making progress in her training, her squad was called to the capitol. Ironchills is far from goblin lands and safe. Other outposts were not and they needed fanantical troops there. Again, she was held back, not sent to the front from the mountainhomes, for reasons of being hardly more skilled than the average peasant.

When the mountainhome's food supplies were destroyed, they nearly recalled her from the force. She had to leave to pursue her calling, or so Kalugog told herself. When there was talk that they were sending more peasants to that fortress designed to act as Profanemachines' future breadbasket, she was among the first to volunteer to act as a guard to these migrants.

The overseer of this village was said to be an insolent prat, so she steeled herself for the worst, but she did not find him all that unpleasant. Seeing as they did not have a proper military beyond a lumberjack doing double duty as an axedwarf and a miner or two, she eagerly talked about her ideas regarding a military where the strength of the individual is insignificant compared to the strength of the whole, a military which fights as one body instead of a rabble. The other warrior she had travelled with, Hatebeard Mörultenshed, is very open about being a berserker at heart, so Kalugog knew she had to win this overseer's favour to get her way.

She did not really expect to succeed. Dwarves, even those who are interested in new ideas as she is, are still a mostly traditionalist bunch. That the temple guard of Asёn Gemmined shave their heads was seen as blasphemous by most of Profanemachines' population. Her ideas regarding formation warfare would surely be likewise discarded; she should be happy just to be part of an army and overjoyed when she gets to train and lead a squad, but she had to try to get her way after these years.

Now suddenly leader of a military, even if it is just two real warriors, a hunter who could easily be a fine marksdwarf and a couple of recruits, she is almost at a loss. She needs to learn how to actually use those military tactics she had read about so often. She needs to learn to lead, both verbally and by example. And, of course, she needs to make sure she can hold her own against goblins, trolls and worse foes. She also knows that Hatebeard is the better fighter of the two and might yet contest Kalugog's position. She needs to make sure her sister in arms becomes more of a comrade than a rival. Throughout history, the famous heroes of the dwarven civilization have been those few who score killing blows on titans and hold back demons. She finds herself wondering if, even if she manages to reach her goals, she will fade into obscurity within the generation. She considers if she even cares, as long as she herself and her deity are pleased with her acts and skills.

OOC:
Thank you.
Might I get information about Asёn Gemmined? If Kalugog is this fervent a worshiper, I should probably know who and what she worships.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 03:36:14 am by ushilzagith »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #43 on: September 03, 2011, 11:59:29 am »

Great story so far.

I'm noticing that a fair number of the dwarves have clean-shaven scalps, in particular all the religiously inclined dwarves.  (At least of those you've posted).  Seems to be a trend here.

I also notice that Sphala is listed as worshiping Asёn Gemmined twice, although not very seriously either time.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

ushilzagith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 03, 2011, 12:26:02 pm »

Given how Hatebeard is likewise a faithful shaved double-worshiper of Asёn Gemmined, I would like to ask from Masked Hunter if it is OK for Hatebeard and Kalugog to have both trained at the same temple-complex.

Perhaps the shaved head is a symbol of orthodoxy within the church of Asën Gemmined?
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 12:31:46 pm by ushilzagith »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23