Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515]

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3626204 times)

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol thread
« Reply #52711 on: April 25, 2024, 09:41:40 pm »

Bah, they want to protect him? Fine, just give him a nice chill in solitary then. :V
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52712 on: April 25, 2024, 10:08:37 pm »

The plan here is how they would interface with the regular staff, because they're required by law to provide a specific guard detail for any living person who's held the office of President.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #52713 on: May 03, 2024, 02:33:16 am »

While I am pleased by the impact on researches, I am somewhat concerned that the lower scheduling of marihuana at 3 will lead to very large businesses that morph into something closer to big tobacco or the labcoat gangsters in some small parts of the pharma industry and distribution chain, which clearly was the top cause of the opioid epidemic. I would rather it be regulated in a way that small businesses (including cottage industry) of a limited number of plants provide much of the supply to dispensaries and probably also processors in a relatively local area rather than very large grow businesses. The relative value of marihuana is attractive to the small farmers and I think that their economic ability to compete in limited quantities should be preserved and even encouraged while relatively much more care should be taken in regards to the establishment of very large grow businesses, who I would rather see in the role of filling in supply gaps that local growers aren't capable of filling rather than dominating distant markets.

In addition I think that encouraging smaller producers rather than concentrated production could result in less negative international impact. For example, after Thailand legalized recreational weed it was flooded with Cali. I am unsure if these were grow companies or a dispensing company as I couldn't find the article I read about it in, but that drove the price down by a third and the illegal imports were used as a campaign issue by the winning party in elections, who then restricted recreational use (but allowed medical). In this way, the businesses involved in illegal exports sort of shot themselves in the foot (unless the high price of $22 a gram after price had already fell by a third made the short term gain worth it to them I guess), made the US look reckless, and did so while at least partially stifling local to the market growers in the exact opposite of what I would like to see.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52714 on: May 03, 2024, 12:00:03 pm »

You can be sure that the politics of lowering the scheduling only went forward after those who were financially vested could finagle how to capture the new market. The triangle of politicians, gangsters, and big-business owners already has multiple plans laid out to put themselves in control of the profits or "taxes" (of whichever type).

It is like how the US healthcare system was captured. The healthcare payouts from the government flow into the insurance companies and then into the healthcare systems, and whether patients receive the correct treatment can become less important than whether they receive the more profitable treatment.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52715 on: May 03, 2024, 07:46:17 pm »

Don't be stupid. The big corporations have had plans to take advantage of legalized marijuana for decades, they didn't wait until it might possibly happen to come up with it.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52716 on: Today at 12:04:18 am »

You really think controlling a market could be something other than a constant and evolving process? The plans are *always* there. It is control over the supply chain and the control over the politicians that is not always there.

Something changed in the background of the supply chain for these chemical aberrations of cannabis, like a consolidation between some of the investors or a finalizing of cooperative agreements about stuff like price-fixing. The market controllers have control, so their politicians are pushing forward what they previously held back, a change to the scheduling of the drug, which will give those still in the market a tax benefit.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
Pages: 1 ... 3513 3514 [3515]