Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 324

Author Topic: Gaming Pet Peeves  (Read 501077 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming Pet Peeves
« Reply #3945 on: March 16, 2017, 05:38:36 pm »

Man, Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich was such a good game. It was so silly. You could turn nazis into potted plants and throw them around. Great stuff.

Speaking of superhero games

Gritty dark superhero anything
Come on guys you're talking about people who dress up in colourful spandex and punch people dressed in similarily colourful spandex. I'm not saying that you can't do gritty dark superhero shit but there's such a lot of it about nowadays and I'm really tired of it.

Just yaknow, just for a change have fun with your people dressed in colourful spandex wearing masks and punching evil criminals into jail. Have some fun with the concepts instead of going on and on about how terrible and moody these people are despite being literally better than everyone else both physically and morally. Have a sense of goddamn fun about these wacky people.

Now that you mention that, I'm kind of wanting videogames to be videogames again. Not interactive grimdark fiction.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3946 on: March 16, 2017, 05:39:31 pm »

Please no one wants to play games anymore. They just want to watch a movie.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3947 on: March 16, 2017, 05:54:53 pm »

Man, Freedom Force vs. The 3rd Reich was such a good game. It was so silly. You could turn nazis into potted plants and throw them around. Great stuff.

Speaking of superhero games

Gritty dark superhero anything
Come on guys you're talking about people who dress up in colourful spandex and punch people dressed in similarily colourful spandex. I'm not saying that you can't do gritty dark superhero shit but there's such a lot of it about nowadays and I'm really tired of it.

Just yaknow, just for a change have fun with your people dressed in colourful spandex wearing masks and punching evil criminals into jail. Have some fun with the concepts instead of going on and on about how terrible and moody these people are despite being literally better than everyone else both physically and morally. Have a sense of goddamn fun about these wacky people.

Now that you mention that, I'm kind of wanting videogames to be videogames again. Not interactive grimdark fiction.
I don't mind grimdark, but I do mind perpetual misery. Have a sense of humour about the entire thing and I'm willing to forgive a lot of things to a miserably dark and gritty story. And no "world-weary cynicism" doesn't equal a sense of humour.

Also started playing the new Doom and holy crap it's been ages since playing a game has filled me with so much pure joy. lovely stuff.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #3948 on: March 16, 2017, 06:42:10 pm »

It's amazing how DOOM is innovative simply by going back to the arena shooter style of FPS. So many these days are 'cinematic' corridor shooters that the old school feels new and fresh again.

That said I love DOOM to pieces.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3949 on: March 16, 2017, 11:06:27 pm »

OK, I'll say it.  Batman.  We're all tired of Batman.  Lego Batman, Arkham Batman.  Too much flippin' Batman.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3950 on: March 16, 2017, 11:09:34 pm »

OK, I'll say it.  Batman.  We're all tired of Batman.  Lego Batman, Arkham Batman.  Too much flippin' Batman.

Don't forget Injustice

Half the roster is Batman characters
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3951 on: March 17, 2017, 04:42:57 am »

Batman is DC's flagship character, so they'll not stop pumping out Batman-related games/films/comics/etc until people actually stop buying Batman-related stuff. The reason why he is the flagship character is because he's what TVTropes calls "Badass Normal". Thanks to this trope, it's much easier for the average human to relate to Batman than, let's say, Superman or Green Lantern. It goes to ridiculous heights with some writers writing Batman as an overpowered Marty Stu who can beat everyone and everything with enough "prep time".

@ Grimdark

I dunno, a lot of games I enjoy are "gritty". Hell, Dwarf Fortress is a pretty gritty (dismemberment, kitten butchering, unfortunate accidents, tons of blood, merfolk genocide for profit, mass murders, sadism, That-Who-Did-Unspeakable-And-Thus-Shall-Not-Be-Named, a lot of other things) and dark game, yet it's enjoyable as hell.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3952 on: March 17, 2017, 04:48:51 am »

Again, the problem isn't in the presence of dark elements or "gritty elements" or whatever. The problem is that there's often nothing else to it. Nobody seems to have a sense of humour or have something good or funny happen to them. It's just constant misery and pain and darkness and at some point, constant tragedy ceases to be tragic and just becomes boring.

You need some ups to balance the downs because that makes the downs much more emotionally resonant. Without moments of levity in Dwarf Fortress, the game would be a miserable slog to play.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3953 on: March 17, 2017, 04:56:59 am »

Again, the problem isn't in the presence of dark elements or "gritty elements" or whatever. The problem is that there's often nothing else to it. Nobody seems to have a sense of humour or have something good or funny happen to them. It's just constant misery and pain and darkness and at some point, constant tragedy ceases to be tragic and just becomes boring.

You need some ups to balance the downs because that makes the downs much more emotionally resonant. Without moments of levity in Dwarf Fortress, the game would be a miserable slog to play.

Basically games that think just because they are dark they are automatically deep and provide nothing else but a dark atmosphere and usually pessimism and dreariness so thick that it just leaves you feeling drained having nothing to show for it.

As if you had to eat ten pounds of gruel.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3954 on: March 17, 2017, 04:58:47 am »

IMMITAION gruel.

(9 out of 10 orphans cant tell the difference.)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #3955 on: March 17, 2017, 05:09:03 am »

What are you talking about is basically grimderp (Warning! Very addictive and kinda NSFW), it was one of the reasons Batman: AK sucked. It was trying to be "gritty and dark" so much that I didn't give a shit about anything.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3956 on: March 17, 2017, 05:44:33 am »

Batman is DC's flagship character, so they'll not stop pumping out Batman-related games/films/comics/etc until people actually stop buying Batman-related stuff. The reason why he is the flagship character is because he's what TVTropes calls "Badass Normal". Thanks to this trope, it's much easier for the average human to relate to Batman than, let's say, Superman or Green Lantern. It goes to ridiculous heights with some writers writing Batman as an overpowered Marty Stu who can beat everyone and everything with enough "prep time".

I think CorrosiveChains may partially be including the Batman-expy characters as well.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

RazielReaver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3957 on: March 17, 2017, 06:00:32 am »

Games that use the same key to skip dialogue, that you also make dialogue choices with.

94dima94

• Bay Watcher
  • For !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3958 on: March 18, 2017, 05:45:42 am »

Every time people talk about grimdark in videogames, I remember the Zero Punctuation episode about Bayonetta 2, which I think describes it best:

The main character "does give a much needed representation to a severely neglected demographics, and that's people who are able to enjoy themselves!"

I would not be so upset about stuff being dark and gritty if there was anything else different from that. We are at the point when a game like DOOM is not only great (which of course it is), it's "innovative" and "interesting" because it actually acknowledges that stuff can be fun.
The worst enemy you'll ever meet is the little voice that says Hey, this would be a cool/awesome/funny thing to do!/I wonder what happens if...
"Rock needs a nerf! Paper is just fine, IMO." - The Scissors.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3959 on: March 18, 2017, 06:18:22 am »

What are you talking about is basically grimderp (Warning! Very addictive and kinda NSFW), it was one of the reasons Batman: AK sucked. It was trying to be "gritty and dark" so much that I didn't give a shit about anything.

It's also why WH40K attracted a horrible fanbase.  It's supposed to be a ridiculously dark satire and instead, most of the people who play it now take that shit as seriously as it's possible to take it, and it is basically the definition of grimderp.
Pages: 1 ... 262 263 [264] 265 266 ... 324