Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: General Weapons Discussion  (Read 3316 times)

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
General Weapons Discussion
« on: September 10, 2010, 08:00:59 am »

Since you can have access to a greater amount of weapons in Adventure Mode, as you have the choice of three races instead of just one, I figured this would be a good place to discuss all the different kinds of weapons and what they're good for.

For instance, what are the advantages to investing in the Maceman skill vs. Hammerer skill? If you're a human, is it better to use a crossbow or a regular bow?

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: General Weapons Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2010, 08:21:21 am »

From what I've seen and heard, blunt weapons aren't that great at all in this version. If you're going to use them, go for whichever you can get in silver first, the weapon density improves the hitting power greatly. The mace's smaller contact area improves the chance it'll critically hit and break a bone or a skull. Contact area has become so much more a significant factor that even barehanded striking becomes more lethal than either of those. But overall, the encumbrance and speed penalty is too high for the range of creatures they're really effective against, and there's no creatures I would call them ideal for.

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 08:28:40 am »

^If contact area is that important, I'm guessing a maceman should choose a morningstar (10) over a mace (20) or flail (200) and a hammerer should choose warhammer (10) over a maul (100).

On a different note, I'm just going to check: whips are as lame a weapon as they sound like, aren't they?

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 08:31:54 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:23:35 pm by Bronimin »

Comrade_Fregge

• Bay Watcher
  • Buggrit, millennium hand and shrimp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 09:23:45 am »

The best weapon category must be the axes. When you have a good axe and a good proficiency, you can both tear through several tissue layers, and chop off body parts. They are good against people and FBs, and perfect against undeads and BCs, since they chop off their body parts, rather than being painful.

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 09:34:28 am »

Ohyeah, axes for maximum dismemberment. You could have a decapitation from the start of battle. If you're training butcher, you'll have a lot more parts to practice on.

And whips are slower to kill but quicker to disable. They're more effective on armored targets than you'd think, though they're definitely best against squishy organics. They can immobilize a bronze colossus very quickly, but you'd have to switch to a different weapon to get a kill. It may be possible if you're really persistent, but when all their limbs are broken, you're no longer gaining skill from the exercise.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 09:36:26 am by Dok Enkephalin »

Kaeoz Crimson

• Bay Watcher
  • Strike The Earth Until It Bleeds!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 11:48:52 pm »

As a personal choice, I choose swords, axes, and other bladed weapons over blunt objects: currently, most creatures won't die until they bleed to death, meaning that hammers will do great for disabling, but you'll exhaust yourself bashing enemies to death unless you manage a head blow.  Meanwhile, a blade will cut off pieces, score bleeding wounds against living enemies, and all in all mince your enemies effectively.  Wrestling, though, is a little better, since a skilled wrestler can gouge the eyes out of enemies effortlessly, then break their arms and legs.  At that point, all you need to do is strangle, or you can pull out a weapon and finish off your helpless opponent.  Whips, meanwhile are good for torturing enemies to death, but it is possible to whip an enemy for DAYS without killing him, so once he passes out from pain, grab his throat and strangle him to death.  It'll go a lot faster.  And for a bronze colossus?  I'd recommend gravity: a 1 Z drop will kill a bronze colossus, or at the very least disable it almost completely.  They're too heavy to handle even a short drop. 
Violence, Fire, And Duct Tape Have One Thing In Common: If They're Not Solving The Problem, Then You Need To Use More!
Dwarf Fortress: Proving That Violence IS The Answer Since 2002.
And a thought occurs: if you made soap out of those poison demon squirrels, wouldn't it dissolve your flesh when used?  I THINK WE HAVE OUR NEXT EXPORT TO THE ELVEN KINGDOMS, GENTLEMEN!!!

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 11:54:26 pm »

If you use an arrow, bolt, or ballista arrow as a (non-thrown) weapon does the damage depend on the spear skill or the miscellaneous item skill?

Bronimin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2010, 06:56:02 am »

-
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 04:23:10 pm by Bronimin »

Dok Enkephalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2010, 07:31:46 am »

Check skill exp in status, hit something, check which skill is increased.

Golcondio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2010, 08:00:45 am »

Trap components are amazingly effective ; they use the misc object skill

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2010, 09:18:43 am »

A gold barrel filled with gold bars sounds pretty brutal to me.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »

I'd prefer to throw large, serrated steel disks for the awesome mental image. Also the whole potential for instant decapitation is pretty useful.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:39:54 pm »

I personally use halberds, more variety ;D

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2010, 10:06:10 pm »

Something I'd like to discuss is when to use the different weapons used by each skill, if one isn't completely superior to other and available.
  • Sword: I'm sort of puzzled by this one. Does the increased penetration from the long sword and 2-handed sword make up for the increased weight and contact area? Also, besides a slightly better pommel strike, how is a scimitar different from a short sword?
  • Hammer: The maul being over 3 times the hammers weight helps (since that increases damage), but does it make up for having 10 times the contact area? It it that one is better for killing and the other better for stunning?
  • Mace: Mace or Morningstar seems to clearly be on whether you want to disable or injure (as maces are blunt, and morningstars are edged), but what does that leave the Flail for?
  • Axe: Battle Axe vs. Great Axe brings up the same questions as the swords. But from what I can tell, a halberd should be better than either because it has the best penetration, the smallest contact area, and the ability to stab.

On a completely different note, is it even possible to get a pick to fight with in Adventure mode?

And why do Pikes and Spears use different skills? They're more similar than axes and halberds or maces and flails.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:15:20 pm by Knigel »
Pages: [1] 2 3