Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13

Author Topic: Elona - Roguelike JRPG  (Read 31430 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Re: Elona - Roguelike JRPG
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 01:53:00 pm »

ElonaCustom 1.85 isn't available for some reason...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 03:30:12 pm »

It is: Direct link to download

The main E+C page always shows the newest version here.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 04:48:59 pm »

I couldn't get the latest Elona Custom to download myself so I'm using the not-so-newest version, haven't run into any glitches or anything yet.

I just realized that I have skill points I can spend, and that the skill to increase carrying capacity has to actually be learned, so I went and did that since my guy is almost always burdened it seems. I'm just dropping stuff into piles in my house because apparently the only containers are bookshelves and the freezer.

Also, going to the pub and spending 140 gold doesn't make you drunk and completely fills your thirst it seems.

E: I think my bear has 2000 gold on him, is there a way to collect it from him or is it stuck there?
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:35:03 pm by Ozyton »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 06:48:43 pm »

Your pets will spend gold with trainers to improve their potential. They will also sell ores and gems to do so.

Weight lifting is easy to train, just walk around burdened. Pianists start with it iirc.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 07:40:34 pm »

Huh. So the latest E+ or whatev', you can still go catch a bell then give them something ranged and watch them sow the seeds of infinite destruction everywhere, right? I remember that being basically my one and only strategy to get anywhere the last time I spent any time playing elona. It was all slog slog slog BELL *carnage ensues, dungeons fall, everything dies*

Pretty sure it was a bell, anyway. Something stupidly fast, whatever it was.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 09:11:53 pm »

I did one of those when I played briefly last night. I literally traded all of the food cargo I'd started with for a collection of empty bottles.
Whoops. Well, at least highwaymen won't rob me I guess?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 10:29:32 pm »

I was able to move my house to a shack in between Vernis and Palmia, just south-west ish of the Crypt of the Damned (lovely name, I know).

After a few missteps here and there, I've been able to reliably complete Harvest Time quests! Now I'm interested in training performer (I didn't choose Pianist when I started out, so I don't have a piano), and just purchased the skill from a trainer.

So, where can I get pianos?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 12:48:46 am »

It doesn't have to be a piano, it can be any instrument.

You can occasionally find them in furniture shops, pickpocket them, or kill bards until they drop their instrument.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 04:23:23 am »

I think my last character was a dwarf that I was planning on having build a human ranch, so that I could sate my craving for mansteaks.

Got lucky and wound up with the cannibal trait on my first bite of the tutorial hobo meat, but I don't think I got very far in the sense of actually owning a ranch... Still didn't quite understand a lot of the game's actual mechanics.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 05:38:05 am »

I was able to move my house to a shack in between Vernis and Palmia, just south-west ish of the Crypt of the Damned (lovely name, I know).

After a few missteps here and there, I've been able to reliably complete Harvest Time quests! Now I'm interested in training performer (I didn't choose Pianist when I started out, so I don't have a piano), and just purchased the skill from a trainer.

You'll probably want something lighter than a piano, like a harmonica or recorder. Instruments do have quality modifiers to your performance, so low-end instruments are not ideal, but a new character is likely to be very overburdened by a piano until you get your strength and Weight Lifting up. Which is going to take a particularly long time for a new player (weight lifting does not train quickly even under the best circumstances, and stats take a bit of munchkin work to raise efficiently).

On the other hand, if you happen to get a scroll of inferior material (they are relatively common) and are playing E+, using it on a piano should change it into a paperwork piano, which will reduce its weight significantly. I don't believe it would affect its quality in terms of performing.

Instruments are classed as furniture, so vendors that sell such things (general store, and the furniture vendors in the embassy near Palmia) may occasionally sell instruments. With low shop rank the good ones will be very uncommon, but you won't yet have the money to invest in shops to any appreciable degree.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 06:01:56 am by Niveras »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:02 pm »

You can get instruments as loot, from furniture vendors, and from killing bards (who can also drop a certain unique instrument).

Be careful when training performer. Onlookers will throw rocks at you for bad performances -- playing badly around a high-level NPC can be an instant death.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2019, 05:47:23 am »

Question though... Does Elona actually count as a JRPG? I thought that specified a specific genre with identifiable mechanics, not just "RPG from Japan". Otherwise Dark Souls is technically a JRPG.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2019, 06:50:04 am »

Between the stats, party building, random encounters and general theme, I think you could really make a case for it being JRPG inspired, hence "Roguelike JRPG.".
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 10:15:49 am »

You can get instruments as loot, from furniture vendors, and from killing bards (who can also drop a certain unique instrument).

Be careful when training performer. Onlookers will throw rocks at you for bad performances -- playing badly around a high-level NPC can be an instant death.
There is also an instrument in the graveyard near lumiest. It's a horn i believe.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 09:42:41 am »

Started a completely new character using Elona+ Custom-G (as it removes the relatively recent additional tedious "hydration" feature, hunger was enough already) , and i'm having fun again as i see lots of things new since last time i had a run.

The putit quest was easy until you ran into the slimes, something i forgot completely been so long i didn't had a starting character :D so both my ally and myself died a few time to the acid before i decided to go make some levels and get better equipment to come back and get the quest done.
Still i was surprised by losing so many stuff when reviving, i thought when you're still so low level the death penalty was more generous, been a while i didn't had a character dying tough so i don't remember if it was like this on my last run.
Fortunately nothing you can easily regain at that point of the game.

Sadly failed the puppy quest when i judged my character was strong enough to get to the bottom of the cave, as after meeting him that insane doggy ran into a trap by himself and exploded, fortunately unlike the original quest of the game Elona is inspired by ( Adom ) the doggy will revive when you come back later, so i'll give another try and hope the dog will be more cautious this time.

Hunting missions are definitively a good source of early money, make sure to take them when they're available, at least the 1 star ranked ones as early game 2 stars ranked mission will kill your party, well your duo at that point of the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13