Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 222

Author Topic: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.37.0 | DF 42.06  (Read 969953 times)

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.20.1
« Reply #75 on: February 26, 2013, 04:49:35 pm »

ptw
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

adam35413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2013, 09:44:35 pm »

I fired up 0.20 tonight, and when the UI starts up there are no dwarves listed.  It shows the correct number, but no rows in the main table.  At the bottom of the screen I noticed it says "Setting up interface...", and it stays like that forever.

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2013, 01:40:17 am »

Stuff was said
Thanks for the reply and answers.

I try to set up my industry in sectors and set labours accordingly while also using quantum piles, so my tradesdwarves aren't running back and forth very far. I agree that strength and agility shouldn't be weighed for most trades, and instead those dwarves should be reserved for military or haulers.  But as you said, some trades benefit from speed and strength; certainly miners, but also mechanics, architects and siege operators, and maybe to a lesser degree growers, masons, stonecrafters, furnace operators, and milkers/shearers/butchers.  I think these attributes should add a moderate boost to the ratings for those roles.

As for other attributes, what I understood from the crafting skills and quality thread you linked is that attributes (including creativity) are not significant factors toward quality.  They have negligible gains and only at unrealistic levels.  And while it mentions creativity by name as an example, it doesn't necessarily give more importance to it than any other.  Going by those conclusions, I personally wouldn't include job-affiliated attributes for non-military roles at all if it wasn't for production speed, which is yet unquantified and arguably unnecessary.

Toady's test of creativity with carpentry quoted in that thread is too small scale to be conclusive and is at odds with Blue_Dwarf's take on it.  But assuming it was a simple demo of something Toady knows to be factual rather than a quick attempt to remember how it was implemented, while also accepting Blue_Dwarf's conclusions, all affiliated attributes should have an equal weight.  Likewise, I agree with Thistleknot that removing any contributing factors unilaterally is not a good idea.  Until proven otherwise, I think the assumption that affiliated attributes do affect jobs and do so equally is the logical approach.  As they do have some effect, many players will want them included for tradesdwarf roles, but we're on the same page in thinking the overall weight for attributes should be set quite low for those roles.  I'd pin it at 0.2, essentially serving as tie-breakers.  But this would have to be set in individual roles rather than the master weight control in options as it is now because of military roles.  An exception would be str and agi, where there are significant considerations outside the scope of direct bonuses to job performance.

I disagree with weighing preferences that low, however.  For players that wish to get the best dwarf on the job right away, high skill and low pref weights would be ideal.  But if that's your main concern, you can find those by sorting on the labour view rather than using roles.  I put greater importance on preferences and would rather train an unskilled dwarf with better potential from scratch, so I think roles should be used for facilitating that.  Again, it's personal play style and you can't please everyone, but I think that makes the most sense if you're carefully tuning roles for best overall matches.  That said, I was unaware that skill ratings are capped similar to attributes.  I never noticed that, but I haven't trained many dwarves to legendary other than miners.  And I thought variable skill learning rates was something implemented by mods, not in vanilla (beyond xp values of different products).  If xp rates and potential for skills vary dwarf to dwarf, then that certainly does far outweigh preferences for long term job matching, though I maintain that prefs far outweigh attributes. (BTW, I don't see skill potential or rate represented in the 20.1 options.)

I don't know what percentage of players use mods.  I haven't tried any yet.  I understand the desire to make the roles universal with broad preference categories, but IMO doing so breaks the utility of roles when they include many inapplicable materials/products.  Defining them individually is a bit of work initially, but that's the point of defining roles and is most ideal.  I don't know if it's possible to include materials for popular custom mods in DT without crashing, having it just ignore those which don't exist.  But that would put maintenance on your shoulders when mods evolve or new ones come out.  I think you should stick to roles for vanilla while promoting, documenting and facilitating custom roles so that modders and their fans can create and distribute them for specific mods.

Traits.  Yeah, beyond the little that we already know I think it will be hard to unveil these.  They are the most abstract.  Strength is straightforward as a concept, easy to associate and measure.  You might not have damage numbers and hit points, but there are hit ratios, arena outcomes, hauling distance/tick - measurable outcomes.  Things like endurance and focus are easy to qualify, but harder to quantify.  Measuring them usually requires observing processes rather than results, and is disrupted by too many factors like thirst, distance, and random "do something else now" AI.  Traits, such as modesty and dutifulness, are much harder to qualify beyond speculation and almost impossible to quantify.  The interactions of all these things with various aspects of the game are amazingly intricate.  I'm not surprised if strength affects muscle mass and therefore reduces critical wounds.  I am amazed that someone without a corkboard of post-its outlining design ideas (ie Toady himself) came up with that and possibly found evidence in game.  I think there are many other interactions, even for "understood" variables and principles, which will never be discovered without help from Toady.  Still, I believe people will find ways to measure these and discover more when they set down to it, either through ingenuity or painstaking trials.

Thanks for the info on happy thoughts from materials/products.  I'd appreciate if anyone can confirm whether or not anvils, buckets, etc used to build a workshop are physically present in the workshop location to be noticed and admired.

I know the inner workings of games generally remain a mystery, and discovery is hard earned by hackers and modders.  I guess there's a pride and possessiveness, as well as real intellectual property issues, with all the mathematical complexities that compose good AIs and artificial personalities.  Even if within game dev circles it's all straightforward math and code, it will be achieved in different ways to different effect.  For players, this instils mysticism and an archaic quality to games, allowing us to just enjoy the unpredictable experience rather than formulating win.  I'm all for that, yet I'm torn because this stuff kinda keeps me up at night, or stuck on pause for hours on end.  I'm like that, I over-analyze and try to understand mechanics of any game I respect.  I never got deep into programming, and have only been a moderate modder, but I like the puzzle and appreciate the art of how it comes together as much as playing the game itself.  So I kinda wish some of these basic things would just be revealed.

Anyway, I'd like to help draft some roles for public scrutiny, but first I'd like to establish some standards and get a sense of what's most appropriate and desired for defaults.  So I hope there's additional feedback on this discussion.

13thEssence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2013, 01:47:27 am »

Bug report v20.1:
Weights for individual items in preferences for custom roles are set globally.

Create two custom roles "Test 1" and "Test 2"
In Test 1, add plump helmets and cave wheat (default weight of 0.5)
In Test 2, add plump helmets.  Change plump helmet weight to 0.71
View Test 1.  Cave wheat is 0.5, plump helmets is 0.71

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2013, 03:16:58 am »

I fired up 0.20 tonight, and when the UI starts up there are no dwarves listed.  It shows the correct number, but no rows in the main table.  At the bottom of the screen I noticed it says "Setting up interface...", and it stays like that forever.
try changing the 'group by'

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2013, 06:45:56 am »

Stuff was said
more stuff was said
when i setup the default craft roles, i assumed that creativity would affect crafting quality, while spatial sense probably doesn't, hence the additional weight on creativity. however it does seem that this is such a minuscule effect that it's probably not worth having an increased weight.

removing, or reducing the weight on attributes with unknown effects on non-military roles is exactly what i meant when i mentioned removing kinesthetic sense from such roles. maybe i'm misunderstanding, but you seem to support this initially, and then in the next paragraph state that removing kinesthetic sense wouldn't be a good idea, so perhaps you can clarify.

the reasoning behind the lowering or removing of kinesthetic sense for non-combat roles is simply because it has unknown effects, but it's in just about every role. to me this is an issue because attributes with known effects, like strength or creativity in a role aren't as prominent in the final rating. that said, i agree that lowering the overall weight for attributes for non-combat labors, and setting them equal, is probably a good idea. while i'd still like to remove kin. sense due to the aforementioned problem, this will probably work as an alternative.

skill learning rates are all equal in vanilla, it's mostly in there to support mods. yes, you could consider preferences as an additional factor for the potential best fit for a role, since they should be cranking out a few more masterwork items, and possibly gaining additional happy thoughts from working with materials/items they like. i may have underrated preferences simply because of the overwhelming possibilities, i figured it was going to be incredibly rare to find a dwarf fit for a job with even one matching preference, let alone two or three. but if such a match was found, then it might make sense that it should give a significant bonus.

the weight for the attributes should be on the top right of the options->roles tab. the skill learning weight is only available when playing a mod that has multiple castes. skills are all still capped at +5 legendary, regardless of the mod, the only thing that changes in some mods is the learning rate which affects how fast they'll increase their level.

the other reason for not hand-picking many materials or items for preferences was simply due to time constraints. i'd just wanted to get some base preferences in there for the default roles, and tweak things later. it shouldn't break things to add specific preferences for mods and vanilla. i'm not opposed to setting up finely tuned roles for vanilla only and letting the modders define default roles themselves. the default roles are still stored in an ini file that's shipped with DT, so a modder could go through all the default roles and define their own materials/items for their mod if they wanted to, and ship that with the mod. the documentation is another issue i'm working on, it's just taking me more time than anticipated to figure out the best way to get some kind of integrated help going.

the only traits i think i've even setup are just for things like anger, which has a known effect and i still believe the doctor traits make sense, even if there haven't been quantifiable tests done, as it's so hard to test that.

i don't think the materials/items used to construct a workshop will give happy thoughts since i don't think dwarves admire workshops.

you're more than welcome to work on default roles. i'm going to fix up the bug with the preference weights, and then see about getting another update out. i've also added in importing/exporting for custom roles, so that should help facilitate sharing roles.

mSSM

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2013, 06:37:33 am »

I want to report a bug (or maybe a feature? You decide!):

Embarking, I wanted to look at my dwarves' attributes to check who is most suitable for some jobs, and I added the “Attributes” register to my list of grid types. 'lo! All attributes are displayed as 0 (some are actually red, some are black, but that's it).

I find that very unhelpful for what I try to accomplish. But maybe this is a feature? Relative gain of attributes w.r.t. starting value per invidual dwarf?

Here is a screenshot:

EDIT: I have just updated to branch 0.20.2, and the problem is gone. :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 07:43:29 am by mSSM »

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2013, 08:48:10 am »

How did you do that?  When did the 20.2 update happen?

splinterz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Therapist Branch
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2013, 09:00:32 am »

How did you do that?  When did the 20.2 update happen?
it's not 'officially' out. i still push changes to the repository while working on things to keep a backup and allow any users who want the absolute most up to date version (which is usually in testing and may have bugs). that said, expect an update soon :)

Arumba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Masterwork Guide/Videos
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2013, 01:20:30 pm »

Hrm, I'm interested, my playing is on hiatus while I wait for updates to masterwork and DT, how do you get the test version?

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Therapist (Maintained Branch) v.20.2
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2013, 06:32:50 pm »

qt creator. btw he posted v20.2

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2013, 10:07:24 pm »

I think in the order of bug reports it should be

mild (not really a big deal, generally aesthetic, obviously a work around)

annoying (work arounds exists)

and major (no workaround, obviously broken in an area).

I'd like to say I have an annoying

Custom grid view I added, doesn't show up in the grid view window.  I created a new "custom" named gridview that never appears to be edited, which means I have to recreate it everytime.

The grid view name also doesn't appear in the list of gridviews next to the add button
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 10:13:08 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2013, 10:27:19 pm »

Yeah, I've failed miserably to add a custom scripted role.

It would be nice if I could add a scripted role when: defining the grid view and adding a scripted role.  Instead I have to jump into the right .ini file and make changes...  and even when I think I make the right changes, I don't see the script showing as a role to add...

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2013, 11:07:41 pm »

another annoying bug

even though I can't see my grid views... rewriting them (or deleting them from the ini) doesn't seem to delete them from the add menu...
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:44:43 pm by thistleknot »

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2013, 11:12:35 pm »

argh...

I don't know what I'm fucking up, but here is my script that does show in the grid view but as nan (albeit the prior mentioned bugs)

//highest weapon, axedwarf (38), speardwarf (43), hammerdwarf (42), swordsdwarf (39), macedwarf (41), knife user (40)

Code: [Select]
var skills = new Array(d.skill_level(38,false,true), d.skill_level(39,false,true), d.skill_level(40,false,true), d.skill_level(41,false,true), d.skill_level(42,false,true),  d.skill_level(43,false,true));
//skills.sort();
skills.reverse();
skills[0];

I tested with vanilla, and then masterwork (that had some dwarfs with those skills, and it's not working (i.e. still nan)...

HELP ME SPLINTERZ,

i.e. test it, implement it, baby step me through it no?

btw, I even tried it with just the speardwarf, and it still showed nan, and I have dwarfs with spear skill

here's my script again just in case (btw, these two should be edited the same, i.e. role editor should map to a script editor if based on a script)

Code: [Select]
//highest weapon, axedwarf (38), speardwarf (43), hammerdwarf (42), swordsdwarf (39), macedwarf (41), knife user (40)

var skills = {
    new Array(d.skill_level(43,false,true));
    skills.sort();
    skills.reverse();
    skills[0]
    };

just fyi, I tried a return var as well as var[0]; at the end
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 11:34:19 pm by thistleknot »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 222