Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board  (Read 6126 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
(DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board
« on: July 12, 2014, 09:14:22 am »

== DF2014 (MEGA)PROJECT BOUNTY BOARD ==

Got an awesome idea, but lack the patience and know-how?
Are you an architect/engineer that is having a dry spell with ideas?

Well, look no further. You post them; you check them out.

Exchange ideas/challenges as to what you want to see be made;
and for the idea hunters that have the skills, here's where you can start paying your bills.

Need to see or do something interesting, but don't know where to start?
Your search is over; This is a good place to start.

In summary: Post what you want to see get built; and anyone up to the challenge, do so, and keep us posted; if you feel up to it.

___. . .,,--===:::::<( THE RULES )>:::::===--,,. . .___
1-- Be descriptive; provide (SFW) image references if necessary. Not everyone will understand what you have in mind.
  1a-- If it's anything spoiler-worthy based on a series or something (including DF-spoilers), keep that in mind, and respect the spoilers.
  1b-- In case NSFW material is inevitable; please, tell us ahead of time. If you leave any kinds of traps (like shock images and such),
         notification will be inevitable.
2-- Be (mostly) sensible. Converting a forest into a bunch of "Hardwood" trees is immature. I said it, so nobody else has to.
3-- If you have any engineering ideas that you wanted to experiment, but lack the proper means or skills, don't be afraid to post it.
  3a-- Just as well, be sensible with your ideas. Don't sound like the man with a paper-ass. Know your stuff, so other engineers can understand
         you, or your notes (if provided). Like for example, if something flies in your idea (or involve breaking the laws of gravity), shutting off
         [CAVE_INS] is always an alternative to make it happen. In other cases, like with images, link to references, if need be.
4-- In regards to reviewing other people's works (and even bounty posting): Consider your own skill level, and how long it took to achieve it.
  4a-- In other words: Critique, don't criticize. Just as well, Rome wasn't built in a day, so don't expect instant results.
5-- Be sure to reference what version of DF you want it done in (for cases other than the obvious (DF2014)), or if it can be done in said version.
  5a-- Consider your mods as they inevitably come; Knowing the version helps considerably for everyone. Thank you.
‾‾‾˙˙˙''--===:::::<( THE RULES )>:::::===--''˙˙˙‾‾‾

EDIT:
To clear things out of the way: Be elaborate, or think outside the box. There's the obvious treehouse and such; but a Treehouse of Horrors, that feeds off the blood of the executed (Fortress: Audrey II), now that's project-worthy.

BOUNTY IDEA: (DF2014)
I'd like to see if anyone's up to taking advantage of the new trees and remake Channelwood from Myst. And make it mechanically functional too if possible, in similar style (plenty of mechanisms and axles). Of course, Myst has a small location, so go nuts with the theme and make it a thriving metropolis.

Spoiler: Channelwood Age (Myst) (click to show/hide)

Sorry about the Elvish suggestion, but you can always follow the way of one of the characters of Myst, and do the Treehouse of Horrors thing still. Also, to replicate Channelwood more accurately, DROWN THE EARTH! In magma if possible.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 01:47:05 pm by Itnetlolor »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: (DF2014) Megaproject Bounty Board
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:15:45 am »

Man I could never get off that damn island :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 01:02:33 pm »

Man I could never get off that damn island :P
Consider it a Myst opportunity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 06:55:44 pm »

Consider it a Myst opportunity.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's a hammerin'
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
Re: (DF2014) (Mega)project Bounty Board
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:07 pm »

I have two things I'd love to see:

1) [least likely] Someone builds a fortress entirely within one of the adamantine space elevators if they somehow manage to find one. This thread describes them, but for whatever reason none of the pictures want to work. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61507.0 (Many apologies if this has already been done)

2) Instead of a dragon bunker, utilize fire breathing/fireballing HFS for a bunker. Bonus points for having a dragon bunker anyway or using other HFS abilities. (Again, I apologize if this has been done)
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2014, 08:17:32 pm »

I think the adamantine spire has been attempted, many times, and all were failures. Short story: Plenty of crashes or colonies of bugs occurring.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 08:19:39 pm by Itnetlolor »

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2014, 12:54:21 am »

The spire I attempted to work on had serious memory leaks or something, any entity moving into certain squares caused the game to crawl, in fact merely viewing those areas did the same. and finally I couldn't plug the continiously flowing magma leaking from the sky.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Girubev

• Bay Watcher
  • You can talk to yourself; just win the argument...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2014, 11:22:09 am »

I think the adamantine spire has been attempted, many times, and all were failures. Short story: Plenty of crashes or colonies of bugs occurring.
The spire I attempted to work on had serious memory leaks or something, any entity moving into certain squares caused the game to crawl, in fact merely viewing those areas did the same. and finally I couldn't plug the continiously flowing magma leaking from the sky.
I see. Ah well, thanks anyway.
Oh great, a Teddy Roosevelt Demon who can ban dwarves.
Just what you needed.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2014, 01:06:46 pm »

The thing I am going to attempt (though not just yet) is going to be a "Spartan Village".

Essentially the way I am going to handle it is simple:
Play as humans: This requires some modding but I will not add in things like steel making...Iron is the best the Spartans will get

Population cap will be set to 0: This is to force growth by birth...otherwise the system wont work and it would be too easy

The original 7 will be "spartans": Their offspring will also be considered spartans regardless of who they marry. Spartans will be required to join a squad as soon as they become of age (may mod this to 16 for extra difficulty) and will be required to train a minimum of 6-10 months out of a year. They will also be the only ones able to hold noble positions. Military will be male only consisting of full plate heavy armor and primarily swords and spears. Females will be doctors and mostly other noble positions.

The first migrant wave will be the Perioeci:  They will take on most jobs and are considered middle class. Farmers and Artisans. Exceptional military service can, on rare occassions, elevate them to Spartan status. They can join the military but will only be able to do so light troops and will not have access to iron unless there is a copious abundance of it. If they join the military they will train 3-6 months out of the year. They will use axes and spears

The second (and last) migrant wave will be the Helots: They are slaves. They do all the lowest and most dangerous jobs such as mining, wood burning, smelting, construction (by enabling carpentry and masonry but forbidding them from using the mason or carpentry workshops), tanning leather, hauling, etc pretty much every job where experience merely speeds up the process but has no other effect. They can join the military as archers and through exceptional military service they can move up to Perioeci

No Walls or Traps: Sparta didn't use walls and neither will these Spartans, traps are also for the weak.

All Spartans get at least a small mausoleum, Perioeci get standard below ground graves, helots get a mass grave if they are lucky.

There will be a large temple structure to Ares that will be highly decorated and very large. Made of stone.

All buildings will be above ground and the only underground structures will be for mining and graves. No building will be more than 2 stories high with a small basement. The basement must be smaller than the foot print of the building, made of stone, and have at least 1 support pillar. If a building is 2 stories high the first floor must be stone and the second will be made of stone or wood with wooden floors. Most structures will be made of clay bricks.

Spartans will have square homes with a small private courtyard of at least 5x5, Perioeci will get smaller 3x3-5x5 courtyards and Helots get basic small houses.

The barracks will be a U shaped building with the inside being a courtyard for training.

Economy will be agriculture trade based and the main exports must be farm based goods. The most common crops and livestock will be barley and wheat complimented by beans, lettuce, and a few other garden vegetables. Sheep and goats are the main livestock with chickens supplementing the food chain. There will also be beekeeping and its byproducts.

Trade should also be the main source of mined goods such as iron...but only with other humans. Consider the elves and Dwarves are considered foreign powers that are not to be trusted and Goblins are Persians.

I am sure there are more restrictions I will add later as well.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 03:25:49 pm by dennislp3 »

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2014, 02:11:23 pm »

The slaves should be sleeping in a dorm.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2014, 02:13:41 pm »

Spartan slaves were not treated like most slaves and were allowed to own small amounts of land and have houses so its historically accurate to have them living in houses.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2014, 02:34:55 pm »

Ah, ok, good to know.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2014, 03:09:17 pm »

They were however, seasonally and ritualistically slaughtered by their spartan "superiors", and murdering a helionaught (I think that's right..) was a right of passage in spartan society.

The spartans were really not very nice people.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »

Yes...if a Helot was caught outside at night they were essentially free game for murder and no one complained. there was even a "secret police" unit of spartans that would enforce this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypteia

This seems to fit perfectly into the fortress guard position.

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2014, 05:18:19 pm »

Here's a challenge for you guys that is dwarfy, yet not, in a way... make your own Divine Quarter for your dwarves.

What is a Divine Quarter?  Based on the version from my own fortress of Blackstone ages ago, the Divine Quarter is basically a section of the fort containing temples to each of the gods your Dwarves worship (Not Armok).  The key focus here is scale, grandeur, and creativity.  A trio of altars and little more barely counts.  Large open areas with pews, altars, statues, and even intricate groundwork, now that's the Divine Quarter.

Take for example the version I did once, posted here.  While it took a lot of work, I never QUITE finished it, having never gotten in the pumps to complete the water and magma pools.  But I dare you to do better.

Find the Gods of your fortress' world.  Then, design and build temples to each of them.  If you can outdo mine (A process that took a week of planning, and a month of building at 10 FPS), then well done!  Show your creativity, and show the Gods that your fortress is worthy of their notice.  Extra points for how themed you can make them.  Hell, build a temple to a God of Battle in the Circus, or a temple to the God of the Forge INSIDE a Magma Pipe, or even an outdoor shrine to the God of Forests, and you get bonus points.

Even MORE bonus points if your entire fortress revolves around it, complete with wide entryhall and grand entrance, for ALL to enter.
Pages: [1] 2 3