Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Game mechanics?  (Read 2827 times)

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Game mechanics?
« on: October 20, 2015, 05:15:19 pm »

There is always that one game mechanic we refuse to dabble in... for me it's patrols --I haven't used them in a very long time! However I am addicted to minecarts.

What is your favorite and least favorite game mechanic?

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Game mechanics?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 05:42:09 pm »

I haven't played enough to determine a favourite, I don't think :|a

My least favourite at this point is probably bins and barrels because they KEEP BUGGING OUT X| I just wanna store more stuff, stop saying we don't have X when it's very clearly in that barrel over there ;;
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 06:38:34 pm »

I haven't played enough to determine a favourite, I don't think :|a

My least favourite at this point is probably bins and barrels because they KEEP BUGGING OUT X| I just wanna store more stuff, stop saying we don't have X when it's very clearly in that barrel over there ;;
The big items to avoid using Containers are; Seeds (naturally stored in bags), Lye, and Bolts (maybe ok with Bins, definitely not Barrels/Pots).

SyrusLD

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 06:47:17 pm »

Favorite? Minecarts and quantum stockpiles.

I really dislike the inconsistency for "user interface interactions" though. One time a list is scrolled by using 2/8 and 3/9, another it is scrolled using +/-. Or another example, designating up/down stairs is i while constructing them is x ... If that counts as "game mechanics". Still annoys me quite often though. And I can't be bothered to change the key bindings because at some point I'll reinstall again and all will be lost again and I'll just be even more confused... D;
In Remembrance of Bengel Hairybasement,
Strangler of a Sasquatch, Troglodytes and a Cyclops,
Slayer of a Giantess, whom he burned alive.
Died in a Heroic Fight with a Grizzly Bear.

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2015, 06:49:38 pm »

Favorite? Minecarts and quantum stockpiles.

I really dislike the inconsistency for "user interface interactions" though. One time a list is scrolled by using 2/8 and 3/9, another it is scrolled using +/-. Or another example, designating up/down stairs is i while constructing them is x ... If that counts as "game mechanics". Still annoys me quite often though. And I can't be bothered to change the key bindings because at some point I'll reinstall again and all will be lost again and I'll just be even more confused... D;

You can save your custom keybindings in the User content folder of LNP and transfer it to the new install

neblime

• Bay Watcher
  • More GG more skill
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2015, 07:43:35 pm »

I don't think I've ever hit any creature with a catapult or ballista, and yet I keep building them.  They just seem exciting!
I also have not used patrols for a long time, never use minecarts.
http://i.imgur.com/Gv6I6JO.png
I am quite looking forward to the next 20 or 30 years or so of developmental madness

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 07:50:40 pm »

I don't use minecarts. I never once even tried to use them. Don't know why.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:28 pm »

I find stockpile links very convenient for managing item collection and industry.

I've never bothered with burrows beyond civilian alert. Too much hassle.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2015, 10:23:56 pm »

I hate stockpiles. The constant hauling and the delay on making an item and doing anything with that item drive me insane. I use a food stockpile to keep things from rotting, but usually just let things accumulate in workshops. I usually don't make enough things to make the workshops too cluttered, and if I do, I just deconstruct and reconstruct it and leave all the stuff on the entrance tile of the workshop.

I love making traps. Simple weapon trap hallways filled to the brim with serrated discs, drowning chambers, atom smashers, rerouting the invader's path through a room full of supergoblins. Its just fun. Watching legendary whateverdwarves disembowel is fun, but I generally feel less invested in that because all I did was give them weapons and armour and a weapon rack. I build every trap myself and therefore **I** am defending my precious little dwarves from assault rather then having them face danger on their own.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2015, 10:57:53 pm »

Whats a patrol? Me just send everyone on that Forgotten beast...
and
How Minecart work? Me never know.

(And NO the wiki isn't help full in these regards)

Best feature, Arena mode, Where I can get rid of the caveman thing when it comes down to the game and figure things out Normally.
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2015, 03:02:09 am »

Favorite mechanic?

Dumping and by extension, quantum stockpiles.

Besides its basic use as a way to separate trash from stuff, its versatile as a way to get items where you want them to be. I often resort to it to disentangle stockpiles that get stuck (soap in buckets in barrels) or even to mass remove XXclothingXX that are still claimed and dump them on the trade depot itself for easy trading later. Same thing with invader clothes and such.

Least favorite mechanic?

I would vote patrols, but since I don't even use it, it barely counts. Ditto for stuff like routes and such.

I would say Beekeeping and by extension, all the kitchen stockpile stuff that requires specialized containers like jugs and vials.

Marginally useful when setup, but its just such a pain in the ass to do.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2015, 03:42:54 am »

Favorites: Quantum Stockpiles, (cage & menacing spike)traps, bridges, impulse ramp driven repeaters, obsidianization. Ballistae are great for removal of trees in water and camping creatures (just got rid of 3 albatrosses camping for 5+ years), but rather useless for "normal" use.

Don't cares: Patrols, traffic designations, X-bows, dyes, fancy glass, pottery, decorations.

Hate: Undead invaders that refuse to let go of the map edge. FPS death.

Dislikes: Inability to tell dorfs which side to build walls from. Treesplosion. Moronic dorfs that insist on dropping worn clothing to block building sites. Inability to order dorfs to absolutely keep away from places that will get them killed. Inaccessible campers, like many of the sphere creatures entering in water. Cancellation spam due to civilian alerts or lack of buckets (if the latter is a "give water" one it can cripple the whole fortress because nobody is doing any work, just spamming).

escondida

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 07:38:49 am »

I find it pretty rewarding to run as many industries as possible in a given fort; it gives your dwarves something to do and fills your fort with masterpieces. It always makes me a bit sad when an industry is impossible (e.g., beekeeping on a glacier), but I'll go out of my way to purchase sand or clay if they aren't available on the map. Later in a fort's life, I even like to allow a single dwarf to become the designated Trapper--there's no real need to capture, tame and sell/extract from vermin, but I like that the option's there. I've never delved into dwarven computing, just minecarts in general and power generation.

As far as the military goes, I find just about all the options to be really useful--if you set up rotating patrols around your various gates into the fortress (I prefer to have squads go on patrol duty the month before their yearly vacation), you don't have to worry about, say, manually un-caging captured blind cave ogres for them to slaughter in the arena, they just take care of 'em in the cavern. The one exception to all the options being useful is my favorite mechanic to ignore: lawdwarves. Seriously, those brutal pigs have no place in my forts. I'd much rather a noble have a sad thought than a useful craftsdwarf be crippled or killed because I forgot a mandate, and when it comes to actual criminals, like vampires, I'm much better at actually ridding the fort of the menace by means of traps than they are by means of beatings.

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 07:52:58 am »

I like burrows.  They take time to set up but worth it when there is an invasion.   :)

I hate minecarts - tried to use them once and totally screwed it up.  Waste of time.  Also never used patrols.  That's why I have walls, stationed dogs, and kids running around - great early warning systems.     :D
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

lion95

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 10:22:28 am »

Ballistae are great for removal of trees in water

I had not thought of that... that is brilliant!
Pages: [1] 2