Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 510

Author Topic: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say  (Read 999670 times)

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
Re: Amazingly Stupid Things You've Heard People Say
« Reply #5340 on: June 27, 2013, 10:36:31 am »

LW is a fixture of the community, Tylui. You damn well better like him. :V
A "fixture of the community" doesn't have to be likable. :I
Protip: If I end a sentence in ':v' or variants thereof, I'm kidding.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5341 on: June 27, 2013, 10:38:48 am »

LW is a fixture of the community, Tylui. You damn well better like him. :V
A "fixture of the community" doesn't have to be likable. :I
Protip: If I end a sentence in ':v' or variants thereof, I'm kidding.
Semi-protip: Not everyone jokes about stuff like that.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5342 on: June 27, 2013, 10:41:18 am »

Also, the phrase 'check your privilege' says nothing and a lot o things at once. S: It apparently originated from a nice intellectual essay some years ago, but eh.
It's a useful statement in contextually relevant situations, i.e. in situations where a privileged person is advocating a sensible course of action available only to those who share said privilege, and presenting it to an audience who does not as the solution to their problem.

Which is a really annoying and fairly common thing. Most people don't stop to take into account whether or not their "solution" actually works outside the context they are familiar with, after all, or makes sense if looked at from a different environment.

At least that's where I think something like that would be appropriate, a reminder for someone to check their privileges, but even then I doubt those exact words would do anything but make the person defensive unless they were explicitly expecting to hear them if they stepped into such a situation.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5343 on: June 27, 2013, 11:00:12 am »

I'll pop in again and point out that bringing up tumblr crazies when discussing trans issues is like bringing up Andrea Dworkin when discussing feminist issues. Don't assume everyone in a group is just like their most insane members. This warning isn't totally applicable in the current discussion due to said crazies actually being part of the original problem and the fact talking about them is probably fit for this thread, though.

Just don't turn your nose up at people who use the word "cisgendered." That's dumb.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5344 on: June 27, 2013, 11:03:17 am »

I just turn my nose up at people who are obviously just trolls.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5345 on: June 27, 2013, 12:15:29 pm »

Damn fucking straight. He's one of the few Bay12ers you are meant to be able to identify on sight!

Him having dozens of different avatars doesn't make that easy at times...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5346 on: June 27, 2013, 12:37:36 pm »

Look at all those labels. S: Cisgendered? Demiplatonic? Aromantic? Panwhut? >_>
The 'about' is 75% labels...

I think I can speak the language enough to decipher those:

22: Confused.
Cisgendered: A source of privilege of which she is ashamed.
Transabled: She isn't actually disabled but pretends she is.
Pansexual: Effective the same as "Bisexual" but inclusive of all the various newfangled gender permutations.
Aromantic: An excuse to fuck people without caring about them otherwise.
Asensual: I don't know. This is a hapax legomenon in the corpus of the Ta'amb-lr language.
Demiplatonic: She thinks she is special because she only has "real" friends, not "fake friends".
Turtle/tortoise in a past life: She both believes in the load of hooey that is reincarnation and in some otherkin bullshit.
Member of a multiple system: She claims to have multiple personalities but was never actually diagnosed with this problem.
Gainer: She justifies gaining weight by claiming it's part of her identity.
Fat activist: She thinks "fat" is a bigoted label and that there are no health problems associated with being fat.
Transfat activist: Either she is against margarine or, more likely, she claims to be really fat despite not being - and for her being a "gainer" is like a transexual getting a sex-change operation.
Vegan: Because it placates the hippies. It also makes "gaining" hella harder, but whatever.
Feminist: Because she's a woman, and she's on Tumblr.

Oh, and by the way, if you want to follow the further adventures of "Jenn" and "Justice" in their eternal quest for the Oppression Olympics gold medal, here's the original Tumblr: http://x-trung.tumblr.com/

EDIT EDIT:

Jenn here. Sorry I haven’t been posting. I recently suffered a terrible injustice at the hands of a bunch of singletist, ableist bigots. It all started when I was having dinner at my parents house. My mother inevitably made several cruel remarks about my weight, my veganism, and the amount of food I was eating. She started talking talking about the possibility of decreasing my food allowance even more or cutting it all together and buying all my groceries herself. Eventually, she told me I needed to see a different therapist as well as a nutritionist because apparently purposefully gaining weight is insane. According to her transfatness isn’t real and I am just addicted to food.

I was furious but I tried to stay calm for the sake of my headmates as well as for the sake of my food allowance. Derek was present and listening the entire time. Derek hates the body and resents being trapped in it. He is also very prone to harming it. At some point I lost control. Derek took over and swore at my mom then ran to the bathroom. Algoral, Carlotta, Momo, Toshi, and I were present the entire time. Derek found a razor and started cutting. He hadn’t bothered to lock the door. My mom found him and wrestled the razor out of our hand while my dad dialed 911.

I ended up fronting at the hospital. A lot of what happened is a blur. I tried to explain that I wasn’t self harming and that I am part of a multiple system. The doctor had no idea what I was talking about and asked my parents if I had been evaluated for schizophrenia. My parents basically told the doctor that I fake DID for attention.

The doctor forced me to be put on a 72 hour hold. The mental hospital was a separate hospital so I had to be taken there in an ambulance. I honestly don’t want to recall too much about it. Let’s just say that the medical and mental health system in this country is deeply, deeply ableist as well as singletist. I had to lie about my multiplicity, a large part of my identity, just to get out of there. I had to tell my headmates to lay low. They were not allowed to front for 72 hours. If any of them did, we all would have been forced to stay in that prison where we weren’t allowed to be ourselves and where some of us weren’t even allowed to merely exist. Not only that, but they had me on a reduced calorie diet while I was there… (scoff) no surprise, really.

We were released some days ago. The others have been fronting a lot to make up for lost time. My parents are angry at me and insisting that the whole ordeal was just me being attention seeking and taking it too far. They keep telling me that I don’t have DID and when I tell them that I in fact do not— that I have what is called natural multiplicity— they tell I’m making up illnesses. Natural multiplicity is real and it is not an illness or a disability! I wish they would allow me to educate them about these things since I actually know a lot about them seeing as I experience them ONLY EVERY DAY OF MY LIFE. Yeah, obviously I’ve been fighting with my parents a lot more than usual, but they haven’t decreased or cut any of my allowances so I guess I can still handle all this arguing for now.

Again, I’m sorry for my absence but I’ve been a bad place, both literally and figuratively, and I have a lot to think about. I should be posting more regularly now. Thank you all for bearing with me.

Yup, we have a mental case.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 12:41:53 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5347 on: June 27, 2013, 12:41:02 pm »

Feminist: Because she's a woman, and she's on Tumblr.
Someone needs to sig this.

The label 'feminist' does not describe very much. I could mean people who are fighting for women to be equal to men (despite the fact that they basically already are), people who think that women are better than men, or people who think that women and men should be segregated.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5348 on: June 27, 2013, 01:03:50 pm »

On her blog she now claims to be a "singlet" and no longer a "member of a multiple system".

She still claims to be "transfat" and a "gainer", a reincarnated tortoise, "demiplatonic", "aromantic", and "transabled". We can still freely mock her.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Grand Nagus

• Bay Watcher
  • A Ferengi without profit is no Ferengi at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5349 on: June 27, 2013, 01:10:55 pm »

'The fact that we live on a planet that can sustain human life proves divine providence'

The sad thing about this comment, is not only is it monumentally stupid and illogical, it's the most common 'proof' of god that I come across in discussions/debates.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 01:13:50 pm by Grand Nagus »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5350 on: June 27, 2013, 01:21:05 pm »

'The fact that we live on a planet that can sustain human life proves divine providence'

The sad thing about this comment, is not only is it monumentally stupid and illogical, it's the most common 'proof' of god that I come across in discussions/debates.
Lvl 666 axiom
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5351 on: June 27, 2013, 03:18:46 pm »

While it's certainly not "Proof", you have to admit that the chances of life on a planet are vastly improved if divine intervention were involved.

Calling it stupid and illogical, however, is just trolling.

Edit: Typo. And, sorry, I'm not trying to start an argument. I do find people ragging on others' beliefs just to rag on them irritating, though.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:26:29 pm by Knight of Fools »
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5352 on: June 27, 2013, 03:21:46 pm »

While it's certainly not "Proof", you have to admit that the chances of life on a planet are vastly if divine intervention were involved.

Calling it stupid and illogical, however, is just trolling.
Please don't start an argument.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5353 on: June 27, 2013, 03:23:59 pm »

the chances of life on a planet are vastly if divine intervention were involved.
Is that a typo or omitted word or something? Because I can't really parse meaning from that.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2013, 03:25:34 pm by Graknorke »
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5354 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:51 pm »

Jenn here. Sorry I haven’t been posting. I recently suffered a terrible injustice at the hands of a bunch of singletist, ableist bigots.
This is where I stopped reading and knew the rest was nonsensical bullshit.

While it's certainly not "Proof", you have to admit that the chances of life on a planet are vastly if divine intervention were involved.
Er...not really. You see, life is made up of a set number of chemicals, which happen to be, for the most part, the most abundant in the universe. To improve our odds, space is also hugely vast and has been around a long, long time. The number of possibilities for life to arise over the past 14 billion or so years is positively staggering, even if most of them didn't take. Eventually, one was going to hit.

It is highly improbable that I am going to paint an exact replica of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel while blindfolded, probably doubly so because I don't particularly care for the iconography. However, given enough time, canvas and paint, it's pretty much inevitable, because there are a limited number of ways that paint, canvas, and a brush can be used, even if it seems like a lot of combinations from our perspective.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting
Pages: 1 ... 355 356 [357] 358 359 ... 510