Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 178

Author Topic: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Ironhand - Discussion and Suggestions  (Read 438581 times)

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam/Itch.io tileset - Mayday/Meph - Discussion and Suggestions
« Reply #1260 on: March 28, 2020, 04:56:43 pm »

Too subtle, maybe? what about only on the dark checker board squares?
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Rekov

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Aficionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: March 28, 2020, 05:09:37 pm »

Yeah, but they rarely unless placed weirdly seem like a complete obstacle the same way an area being fully roped off does (especially an area which will have frequent traffic back and forth while carrying goods or carting around wheelbarrows etc). Bit harder to uphold suspension of disbelief basically.

What I was initially picturing as inspiration were these construction markings that you sometimes see, or an archeologist's grid. They're at most 30 cm off the ground and often much lower, so stepping over isn't a problem.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Pillbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: March 28, 2020, 05:53:59 pm »

I like both of these options a lot more than the constructed-floor-look from mockups. I lean towards the meph one, if you could designate the border color I think that would make people happier too.  Could you place this one in the inside neutral background image?

Slight change:

I'm not a fan of the ropes and flags option. Trying to make it look like a physical thing makes me think it should take labor and resources to make and that takes more changes.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: March 28, 2020, 06:25:53 pm »

I like both of these options a lot more than the constructed-floor-look from mockups. I lean towards the meph one, if you could designate the border color I think that would make people happier too.  Could you place this one in the inside neutral background image?

Slight change:

I'm not a fan of the ropes and flags option. Trying to make it look like a physical thing makes me think it should take labor and resources to make and that takes more changes.
To piggyback on Pillbo's post, how about removing the outside border and just making it a collection of dashed-line squares (but more visible)?  It's simpler perhaps. This whole discussion started when I mentioned making the stockpile squares partially transparent. It has snowballed into elaborate (although nice looking) stuff that maybe has gone overboard?  I'm not sure what to think, actually. Sleeping on this may help us all.
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #1264 on: March 28, 2020, 07:03:58 pm »

I added borders to stockpile mock-ups for SteamDF over a year ago. XD

Edit: haha! Fluid roller animation with a single chain. I'm finally happy with the result.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2020, 11:43:58 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: March 29, 2020, 12:39:11 am »

I like the middle (slightly slack) ropes best.

Could we see the checkered tiles on grass? Need to know how they look over a more complex tile.

How would the signs work (assuming they make it in?) Would they be user-selected?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 12:46:29 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: March 29, 2020, 03:06:27 am »

Almost happy with the chains ;)

I'd suggest one roller in each end rather than a single one in the middle (with power distribution from the center of the side), as that would tie in with the underlying conveyor belt logic, and also the possible misinterpretation of a giant cog in an axle.

The turning one is a challenge. I'd suggest an indication of something on the inside of the curve to make the chain follow a curve rather than a slanted line it would follow naturally (unless the chain is very stiff sideways), but that might be overdoing it.

Finally: I don't envy you artists, having to balance diametrically opposed comments from everyone and their dog. You're doing a great job.

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:26 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:48:54 pm by Toady One »
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

MoltenIdol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: March 29, 2020, 06:41:34 am »

We will do a few designs for trees, yes. Broadleaf, Conifer, Saguaro, Giant Mushrooms, Palms... not all trees for now, just the most different-looking ones.

Maybe a sign for the stockpile content? (Super rough mock-up)

Ooooh! Super nice.

Still my favourite. Its just the bare nescessities, which, to me at least, represents the amount of effort put into designating a stockpile pretty well.

No more Than a basic stick in the dirt with some thread wrapped around it. The sign is a plus too, Even if it means a more 'resource intensive looking stockpile.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 07:09:23 am by MoltenIdol »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: March 29, 2020, 08:11:14 am »

Finally: I don't envy you artists, having to balance diametrically opposed comments from everyone and their dog. You're doing a great job.
And between their own plan, what their boss(es) want and time limitations.

And what worse commenters are not representative of people who will be buying. In such cases commenters are always extreme outliers.

(response to removed comment removed)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:49:33 pm by Toady One »

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
« Reply #1270 on: March 29, 2020, 08:20:26 am »

Man, if you think the community has opposed comments, you should see our internal discussions :P
<3

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: March 29, 2020, 09:37:21 am »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:49:52 pm by Toady One »
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: March 29, 2020, 09:47:36 am »

I added borders to stockpile mock-ups for SteamDF over a year ago. XD

Edit: haha! Fluid roller animation with a single chain. I'm finally happy with the result.

The chain and mechanism looks good. There's still a bit that I consider short of perfect, though. This would require extra work from Toady, but it would look a lot better if adjacent cases didn't have those brown things. Perhaps not worth Toady's time just for this one case, but a more diverse and powerful system of conditional adjacency graphics would be very useful in general. Barring that, it might be good to reimagine that connection so it's at least not as obtrusive; they look a bit much (particularly with regards to implicit height) even when it's just one by itself.

Almost happy with the chains ;)

I'd suggest one roller in each end rather than a single one in the middle (with power distribution from the center of the side), as that would tie in with the underlying conveyor belt logic, and also the possible misinterpretation of a giant cog in an axle.
Is conveyer belt logic actually what underlies it? I'm pretty sure the rollercoaster-like design is still the most likely, so a single roller is appropriate. Plus, one at each end would tile poorly.

Finally: I don't envy you artists, having to balance diametrically opposed comments from everyone and their dog.
That's a pretty rare case, though. Most of these have way more than two suggestions going on. And it's not like they have to listen to anybody, so it's only a resource to make the quality better. Fortunately, both of the people are long-time modders who very evidently care about the quality of the final product.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:50:46 pm by Toady One »

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: March 29, 2020, 10:01:18 am »

« Last Edit: March 29, 2020, 04:50:59 pm by Toady One »

Manveru Taurënér

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile