Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1165812 times)

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #690 on: June 01, 2011, 06:06:45 pm »

in my opinion goblins not needing to eat and them being immortal is a good thing. not only does it make a single goblin seem better and therefore a more fearsome enemy but it also helps in keeping their numbers up. it only needs a satisfying reason and im happy (theyre all plants/mushrooms | theyre all distant offspring of some daemon | ...)
concerning the artefacts any effects and interactions probably need the item-rewrite where they get multiple materials(although i dont know what this ones schedule is), because a sword giving power and/or burning the ones being killed? how does it discriminate between the one wielding and the one "touching the other side really hard" if it cant even discern its own handle from its blade? but on the other hand this raises the problem with a power-granting chair, what if someone uses it in a bar fight to bash someone? will the one getting bashed get power too? so maybe all effects also need to be bound to certain actions(if its only bound to actions, and no material-contact, then touching the blade of the "sword of lightning" would be harmless), but then again i guess this means major (or at least _not_ minor) changes to whats in for now. therefore i guess: we still have to wait for that for some time

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: June 01, 2011, 09:16:10 pm »

it only needs a satisfying reason and im happy (theyre all plants/mushrooms | theyre all distant offspring of some daemon | ...)

I think it's funny how it's a big deal that goblins don't need to eat, but it's a given that demons don't need to eat.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: June 01, 2011, 11:26:53 pm »

Alright, so each of the last few kinds of things Toady's added (basic curse framework & evil regions, necromancers, monuments/mummies, werevarmints) all took about a week, give or take a day or two. Assuming vampires, ghosts, and frankensteiny things all take about the same amount of time, and factoring in all the housework and loose-end-smiting at the end, I predict a release before July's half over.

Unless he's going to add in more things after the frankensteiny things, of course. Odds of that? Did he mention anything in the Talk? Haven't read that yet, waiting for the transcript.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: June 01, 2011, 11:34:55 pm »

it only needs a satisfying reason and im happy (theyre all plants/mushrooms | theyre all distant offspring of some daemon | ...)

I think it's funny how it's a big deal that goblins don't need to eat, but it's a given that demons don't need to eat.

I always figured demons were just able to subsist on RAW EVIL- then again, most demons don't do things like form societies. For humans, one of the reasons we all get together in societies is because it helps us to produce more food, more efficiently. If goblins don't need each other in order to form farm communities and hunting tribes, then why DO they hang out? They don't really seem to be very social, what with the constant murder and all, and they aren't terribly taken with art or trade either. About the only real benefit for a big group of gobbos is mutual protection, and goblins could probably get enough of that in a small tribe-like structure instead of these ravening hordes we've got.

So right now, one of the only reasons they form armies is, well, for the evulz. But I seem to recall Toady saying that he wants his goblins to be a little more thought out than just an Always Chaotic Evil race, with the potential for peaceful goblin civs. It'll be interesting to see how he tackles it.

bitterhorn

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Rage Against Dying of Light: Burritos
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: June 01, 2011, 11:37:13 pm »

When listening to Toady talk about the idea of someone modding in reactions that result in a gaseous substance that causes a syndrome of ones choice, I could only think CRAZY SHAMANIC RITES INVOLVING THE SMOKE OF A DEADLY CONCOCTION OF HERBS.  Exciting!
It is a world built on pillars that descend into hell itself, yet there is no heaven above to look to. A world where pain and death await all, with little to no salvation from the horrors of the world. There is no true peace, no true saviour. Dwarf fortress is a game about an eternal struggle that you can never, ever win.

Also, valkyries are cooler then angels...

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: June 01, 2011, 11:56:16 pm »

Just thought of this:

In the future, will randomly generated lunar cycles (such as having two or more moons, that sort of thing) become an important feature Re: werecreatures?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: June 02, 2011, 12:09:52 am »

I guess there could be more work done with the lunar and solar cycles as a whole. I reside in Alaska and the sun doesn't always rise in the morning or set in the evening. Its more like 20 hours daylight and 4 hours of dusk/dawn at the moment.

I think it might take some tweaking of the worldgen. Having a pocket region where an adventurer can go from freezing tundra to tropical rainforests within a single days travel is silly. A pocket region should represent a... region, like Belgium or The southern half of Florida. Not so much, a planet's hemisphere with ice on one side and sweltering tropics on the other.

Though, tying that into lunar and solar cycles would probably complicate things further if the region you worldgen is separated from the planet and its celestial cycles.

Hellome

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: June 02, 2011, 12:19:41 am »

Did Toady make any indication of what will become of the present iteration of the werewolf with the new night creatures release?

tHe_silent_H

• Bay Watcher
  • Did you win?
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: June 02, 2011, 03:18:21 am »

Just thought of this while reading the misc weapon thread:

If you're using a severed arm as a weapon can it be raised while you are still wielding/have it in your inventory or must it be on the ground?

Did you know that if you write 3.14 on a piece of paper and hold it in a mirror, it will say pie? And if you divide 42 by 3.14... you get 13.37!

It is incredibly satisfying to kill a man with a butterfly.

eux0r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: June 02, 2011, 09:47:02 am »

...(goblins)... then why DO they hang out?

goblins not eating is no big deal at all, it would just be nice to have some more fluff around them in general and i guess they hang out because at first, being a hand full of individuals is simply better(in terms of survival rate) then being alone. and with them being so good at surviving in the first place their numbers simply grow easily enough for them to be able to sustain a big group, which can surely not being taken care of so easily by, more or less, _any_ enemy, which is still better then being a whole lot of single guys who everyone wants to kill, even when killing each other quite a lot inside that group. and then with them just being like that, they can decide "hey, i know everyone loves fighting and killing and see others die and suffer in here, so how about we band together and go to war?"

Unless he's going to add in more things after the frankensteiny things, of course. Odds of that? Did he mention anything in the Talk? Haven't read that yet, waiting for the transcript.

youre also thinking of the haunted mansions and furniture when you mention 'ghosts' and 'housework'? and there are also the markets that still need to be done in this release(at least i think he said so in the df-talk)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #700 on: June 02, 2011, 10:13:37 am »

Just thought of this while reading the misc weapon thread:

If you're using a severed arm as a weapon can it be raised while you are still wielding/have it in your inventory or must it be on the ground?

This is a question that can only be asked about dwarf fortress.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

h3lblad3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 02, 2011, 10:39:24 am »

They don't really seem to be very social, what with the constant murder and all, and they aren't terribly taken with art or trade either. About the only real benefit for a big group of gobbos is mutual protection, and goblins could probably get enough of that in a small tribe-like structure instead of these ravening hordes we've got.
Why do they hang out? Looting!
They aren't very artistic, and not the terribly organized/industrious creatures dwarfs and humans are.
So how do you get this stuff for yourself?  You steal it!  And it's easier to do with a group than alone.

Just give it up already and realize the truth:  Goblins. Are. Vikings.
I was talking about importing alimunim.
And we were hypothesising about the sexual relations between elves and trees.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 02, 2011, 06:36:37 pm »

I have a question but I guess it is a long long distance question.

I guess I can hold off on it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 02, 2011, 07:10:33 pm »

Goblins. Are. Vikings.
Vikings had farms in their own nations, and valued poetry and song very highly.
Also they were not immortal and had to eat to not die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 02, 2011, 07:12:01 pm »

Goblins are more specifically...

Magical Teeth

Yep, the best description.
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 298