Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 298

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1167679 times)

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2025 on: August 27, 2011, 06:45:34 am »

Its been strongly suggested that the player is armok anyways.

By who? Everything Toady has said about the matter directly contradicts this.

Not to mention Armok being called by name in some threetoe stories.

After that point Armok officially stopped being the player.

Yea, I gotta agree here.

When Armok was said by name in ThreeToes stories, it was no longer the player.

Toady has said that he wanted the player actions to always be represented through the dorfs own IC actions. Admittedly there are some glaring holes left for this, but they have been closing.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 27, 2011, 07:09:57 pm »

Officially it never was player to begin with

I am aware. It only was the player in light of the popular amount of cruelty I doubt Toady intended.

let me see so to formulate the Fortress talks question...

"What are your thoughts and tribulations on shore leave, or rather autonomous activity taken by charges within cities?"

No that isn't any good...

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: August 27, 2011, 08:36:57 pm »

Guys talk questions go to toady by email ;) just in case someone wants to write down another one in here.

I myself think of Armok as a constant in threetoes storys and only as Background figure in the game that as justification for some events.

[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: August 27, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »

Guys talk questions go to toady by email ;) just in case someone wants to write down another one in here.

I myself think of Armok as a constant in threetoes storys and only as Background figure in the game that as justification for some events.

I know, I just can't come up with a good way of saying it.

When I ask a question badly here Toady just answers it in a way I didn't mean.

when I ask a question badly in Fortress talks they just reject it and don't tell me. >_>

Unfortunately... I am not really getting someone jumping in like I thought so I have to think about it.

"Toady you spoke about giving characters orders and conditions they would disobey them. What do you think about the concept of allowing the characters in your party to do as they wish in town; such as shoreleave; to rest, relax, buy equipment, speak to others, and fulfill their own personal goals?"

Better but too wordy. As well it is structured as a suggestion, which is bad.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: August 27, 2011, 11:24:11 pm »

I know, I just can't come up with a good way of saying it.

When I ask a question badly here Toady just answers it in a way I didn't mean.

when I ask a question badly in Fortress talks they just reject it and don't tell me. >_>

Unfortunately... I am not really getting someone jumping in like I thought so I have to think about it.

"Toady you spoke about giving characters orders and conditions they would disobey them. What do you think about the concept of allowing the characters in your party to do as they wish in town; such as shoreleave; to rest, relax, buy equipment, speak to others, and fulfill their own personal goals?"

Better but too wordy. As well it is structured as a suggestion, which is bad.

I tend to wait on such things when I know it is (comparatively) right around the corner. Part of the reason we get evasive answers to some questions is because Toady himself hasn't thought it out more thoroughly yet, and isn't going to try since he is busy focusing on the current release.

This specific question, I'd wait until sometime after Release 2 to ask, since that will be when he starts devoting significant time to Basic Hirelings (Release 3,) and we'll be more likely to get a detailed answer. Bear in mind, half of your question also deals with the Personality Rewrite detailed for Release 8, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the autonomy questions get handled then.

I myself would probably ask something like "How autonomous will hirelings be? How much control does the player have over group inventory/time management?" once we get closer to Release 3. Depending on the answer to those questions I'd ask followups about how the personalities of your party members play into those decisions, and how much he expects that to change with the personality rewrite, so on and so forth.

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: August 29, 2011, 02:37:31 pm »

I tend to wait on such things when I know it is (comparatively) right around the corner. Part of the reason we get evasive answers to some questions is because Toady himself hasn't thought it out more thoroughly yet, and isn't going to try since he is busy focusing on the current release.

This specific question, I'd wait until sometime after Release 2 to ask, since that will be when he starts devoting significant time to Basic Hirelings (Release 3,) and we'll be more likely to get a detailed answer. Bear in mind, half of your question also deals with the Personality Rewrite detailed for Release 8, so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of the autonomy questions get handled then.

I myself would probably ask something like "How autonomous will hirelings be? How much control does the player have over group inventory/time management?" once we get closer to Release 3. Depending on the answer to those questions I'd ask followups about how the personalities of your party members play into those decisions, and how much he expects that to change with the personality rewrite, so on and so forth.

But just because Toady isn't working on a feature right now doesn't necessarily mean he wouldn't have anything to say about it. I think mostly anything is fair game.

LordMogra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: August 29, 2011, 03:30:36 pm »

This may have already been answered, but I could find it.

In Fortress mode, seemingly one "goal" to a fort is to become a capital. I can't help but realize I am trying to create a capital with at most 200 or so dwarfs when there are cities number in the thousands or more. Now, historically (real world), forts served as safe havens, strongholds, in the frontiers and cities developed around them. So how about that? Trading with a growing metropolis around you. Having to send your troops to defend the local city from invaders, etc.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: August 29, 2011, 03:52:25 pm »

This may have already been answered, but I could find it.

In Fortress mode, seemingly one "goal" to a fort is to become a capital. I can't help but realize I am trying to create a capital with at most 200 or so dwarfs when there are cities number in the thousands or more. Now, historically (real world), forts served as safe havens, strongholds, in the frontiers and cities developed around them. So how about that? Trading with a growing metropolis around you. Having to send your troops to defend the local city from invaders, etc.
This is pretty much exactly what is planned, the suburbanites are tentatively called "hill dwarves."  Check out DF Talk #12.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: August 29, 2011, 08:36:44 pm »

That, and forts aren't meant to become capitals when civs send dwarves out in the world. Forts for DF dwarves aren't just military facilities in strategic points, they're settlements. And since dwarves live inside mountains and under the earth, it would be silly if their cities developed around them rather then as part of them. The fort only becomes the capital if the king comes, and he only does if your fort is sizeably large (resumely larger then the old capital), produced alot of wealth OR has found adamantine, altough I'm not sure if thats true for the later version since I tend to dig a bit too greedily once I find it and the fort goes poof before it can happen :P
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: August 29, 2011, 09:01:46 pm »

How exactly does the syndrome and/or interactions involved in drinking vampire blood work? How much of that process is part of the interaction system itself?
And on a related note: How would an adventurer learn about the properties that a certain vampire type would have? Will there usually be enough information for an adventurer to make a decision dealing with whether he wants to drink the blood or not?

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: August 30, 2011, 09:44:22 am »

Toady One.

i have 1 small request.

Grabbing an ally....i want to be able to drag them out of harms way.

such as grabbing them underwater, and dragging them out of the water before they drown themselves.

Rockphed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: August 30, 2011, 11:54:52 am »

Toady One.

i have 1 small request.

Grabbing an ally....i want to be able to drag them out of harms way.

such as grabbing them underwater, and dragging them out of the water before they drown themselves.

Doesn't anybody except an adventurer currently leave water by ramps?  I agree that it sucks when your allies fall into rivers or murky pools, but otherwise they tend to get out themselves.

As for the other thing, there is a suggestion forum further up the main page.

Though that does bring up an issue:

Currently dwarves in fortress mode will carry other dwarves who are injured to their beds or a hospital.  What obstacles stop invaders and adventurers from carrying comrades?
Only vaguely. Made of the same substance and put to the same use, but a bit like comparing a castle and a doublewide trailer.

MASTER_PROGRAMMER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: August 30, 2011, 12:38:49 pm »

They don't get out by themselves when they're unconscious.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: August 30, 2011, 12:58:22 pm »

Currently dwarves in fortress mode will carry other dwarves who are injured to their beds or a hospital.  What obstacles stop invaders and adventurers from carrying comrades?
Aren't babies fullworthy creatures (as in the same kind as dwarves or animals) as well? And they get carried around all the time as well, I mean.
Love, scriver~

LordMogra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: August 30, 2011, 03:30:43 pm »

Aren't babies fullworthy creatures (as in the same kind as dwarves or animals) as well? And they get carried around all the time as well, I mean.
In my experience, even babies don't get carried out of the water if the parent carrying them falls in. The parent seems to just drop them in a panic and never go back.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 298