Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Simple Mod Manager  (Read 1651 times)

trainb0y

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A Simple Mod Manager
« on: May 03, 2021, 01:27:21 pm »

So...
A few hours into Dwarf Fortress, after only 1 berserk dwarf, and a couple of metal tools, I got into modding. I soon became frustrated with keeping them separate. I installed the PyLNP, but it wouldn't actually install mods. Probably PEBKAC on my part, but I completely overreacted and tried to make my own mod manager thing. 2 months later, here it is.

https://github.com/trainb0y1/Simple-Mod-Manager

Spoiler: Screenshot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Usage (click to show/hide)
If people use and like this, I can add more features such as mod merging and an easier way to reorder the mods, but for now I've moved on to other projects.
If you find any bugs or would like to suggest a feature, make a new GitHub Issue describing it; I'm not sure how active I'll be on these forums.
If anyone wants to help, please do! Also, forgive the messy code :)
This is not a Signature. I do not want a Signature. Signature is Bad.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: A Simple Mod Manager
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2021, 04:37:36 pm »

Posting to watch. And to remind me to check this out later and not forget it, because I’ve been interested in seeing a mod manager for a loong time.

myk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Simple Mod Manager
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 01:16:59 am »

For package management, mod reordering, conflict detection and resolution, etc. you might want to take a look and see what you can borrow from the Installers tab of Wrye Bash, one of the best mod managers for the Elder Scrolls series (and many other games). It handles loose files as well as archives. Written in Python 2.7, though, so it might need updating if you're using 3.

https://github.com/wrye-bash/wrye-bash