Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 104

Author Topic: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.  (Read 553452 times)

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SoundSense: a sound engine for dwarf fortress.
« Reply #75 on: July 11, 2010, 05:07:29 am »

For the list of sounds we need, how about some alert for when important things like bags, barrels, coal, and wood run out? It'd probably have to be a spoken alert - I don't think I know what a lack of wood sounds like.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #76 on: July 11, 2010, 01:52:58 pm »

Release 10: http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/soundSense_10_27.zip

Added weight paramenter to sound file so that we have have "rare" sounds which will have less of chance to occur. (demonstration in intruder pack.)

For the list of sounds we need, how about some alert for when important things like bags, barrels, coal, and wood run out? It'd probably have to be a spoken alert - I don't think I know what a lack of wood sounds like.

Problem is that only log lines about material quantity are "Dorf cancels job: Need stuff.". I would be warning a bit.

You can either have "ding" sound as it is which is basically reminder for player to check log (as it currently is) or some kind of spoken anouncement which could be problematic because of possible spam (say, you order 10 skull totems and have no skulls - cue in ten job cancel messages.).

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 11, 2010, 02:07:23 pm »

Added weight paramenter to sound file so that we have have "rare" sounds which will have less of chance to occur. (demonstration in intruder pack.)

Problem is that only log lines about material quantity are "Dorf cancels job: Need stuff.". I would be warning a bit.

You can either have "ding" sound as it is which is basically reminder for player to check log (as it currently is) or some kind of spoken anouncement which could be problematic because of possible spam (say, you order 10 skull totems and have no skulls - cue in ten job cancel messages.).

Is that list of needed sounds on the previous page up to date? I'd be willing to contribute but don't want to work on something already done.
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Passive Fist

• Bay Watcher
  • Builds everything out of cobaltite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 11, 2010, 05:59:32 pm »

Wow this is pretty great stuff. I wish I wasn't inept at software so I could help out :P

Lawec

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Goblinslayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 12, 2010, 05:07:59 am »

What about some sort of announcement when a dragon or a forgotten beast arrives?
Like "I HAVE COME!" or "Protect the hoard! A dragon has been spotted in the horizon!" ?
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #80 on: July 13, 2010, 02:36:49 am »

Is that list of needed sounds on the previous page up to date? I'd be willing to contribute but don't want to work on something already done.

It is mostly up to date. Do not worry about contributing something that someone else might be doing because one thing i really want are few variants so that sounds do not get too old too fast.

I will, work on much detailed plan when i get time.

What about some sort of announcement when a dragon or a forgotten beast arrives?
Like "I HAVE COME!" or "Protect the hoard! A dragon has been spotted in the horizon!" ?

Megabeast arrival currently uses same music as ambush. Somehow I think that epic music (we need epic music :) ) is more suitable. I can imagine "Protect the hoard! A dragon has been spotted in the horizon!" underlined by some music thou.

Since megabest species is mentioned, making dragon-specific sounds is definitelly possible :) .

Lord Herman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 13, 2010, 01:21:18 pm »

How about adding different 'moods' of music to SoundSense? You could tag music with, for example, [battle], and if certain conditions are met - a certain amount of battle-related messages within a short time - it'd play battle music. Maybe even with mixed tags, so a [battle][winter] music would play if there's a battle going on in winter.

Another idea I had was to have beginnings and ends to looping sounds, so when it starts it'll first play the beginning, then loop the body of the sound, and when it ends it'll play the end bit before stopping. I don't know if it's possible, but being able to tell SoundSense to fade in or fade out a looping sound over a certain amount of time would also be nice. That'd make for a less jarring start and end of a looping rain sound.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2010, 03:50:45 am »

How about adding different 'moods' of music to SoundSense? You could tag music with, for example, [battle], and if certain conditions are met - a certain amount of battle-related messages within a short time - it'd play battle music. Maybe even with mixed tags, so a [battle][winter] music would play if there's a battle going on in winter.

Another idea I had was to have beginnings and ends to looping sounds, so when it starts it'll first play the beginning, then loop the body of the sound, and when it ends it'll play the end bit before stopping. I don't know if it's possible, but being able to tell SoundSense to fade in or fade out a looping sound over a certain amount of time would also be nice. That'd make for a less jarring start and end of a looping rain sound.

First one: That basically requires app to understand state of game and do a bit more processing than "dumb" log reading and matching patterns.

It is possible to some extent with resolvable issues: For example, if you are ambushed, you want to know when ambush is done with to stop combat sounds; you can get rough idea from cancel job/combat messages spam, but you can very well sound end of battle because player paused game and combat messages stopped flowing.

Seasons are great for this because you have clear indication when it ends and starts and such state is easy to manage, ditto for moody dwarves or caravans, but "being in combat" is not really well defined.

This is where i would like some enhancements:

Log messages relating to, for example, all ambush squads being eliminated, mega/forgotten beast being downed, etc ... would go a long way towards this.

---

As for looping, yeah, it is possible to have warmup/cooldown segments.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2010, 07:32:38 am »

release 11:

* redone music param a bit, SS now supports several channels which you can use to loop sounds.
 * added tool to parse log files for messages that ss does not have sounds for.

tyrspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2010, 07:44:25 pm »

For all people who replied offering contributions for this mod, stand by, I am currently setting up a system which will make development easier.

I am also going to be acting as a team organizer. Hope to talk with all of you soon. Rock on.

- Chris Krause
Chris Krause
Soundsense Mod Community Organizer
http://df.zweistein.cz/soundsense/

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2010, 09:32:21 pm »

I can't get this to work. It says that it cannot finnd gamelog.txt. I placed the files from the archive in the main df folder.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2010, 02:54:05 am »

I can't get this to work. It says that it cannot finnd gamelog.txt. I placed the files from the archive in the main df folder.

Try putting it inside its own fodler, it expects gamelog.txt one folder up from soundSense.cmd by default, or you can edit soundSense.cmd and replace "../gamelog.txt" with full path.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2010, 02:57:29 am »

That worked.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2010, 03:05:55 am »

Sooooo....
Does this work or Rickroll me?
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

shibdib

• Bay Watcher
  • How much for Goat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2010, 03:11:24 am »

Sooooo....
Does this work or Rickroll me?

works fine, problly one of my favorite mods. Made a video of it in action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&fmt=18
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 104