Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Karakzons: Miner/Millatery Uniform Error Work around. PICKS FOR THE PICK GOD!  (Read 5999 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile

Origonal post:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit:
Tests carried out with embark picks show their just not worth the bother. Use imported and forged picks. melt the embark ones when you have a surplus of picks to make sure you dont bugger up later on.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 07:21:33 pm by Karakzon »
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Oh my, thank you very much. I had been wondering how to use these effective weapons...

Front line for the opening of the circus, here we come!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Iren

• Bay Watcher
  • I BREW THE BEER I DRINK
    • View Profile
    • Blog

Heigh-ho, Heigh-ho
It's war from work we go
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile

My f'ing Armok. Does this actually work? Like, fail-safe, dwarven stupidity work?

And not only that, does it work for shielded and armoured wood-cutters and hunters?

Even if it works for miners it is one of the greatest achievements on "Killing random stuff in the caverns" since hyper-doggy-alligator-kitten invasions. So much better really.

Armed, shielded, miners........ Wow. Just wow......
:)
That's awesome.
It's a game. Have fun.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Would love to hear if this also works with axes (for woodcutters to be armored) and crossbows/quivers (for hunters to be armored). Can't test at the moment, I'm afraid, but if this really works, my haulers and civillians are going to be VERY happy.

I used to use hunters, but the absence of armor combined with the extreme distance back to the fort proved too lethal for my liking. A hunter who is skilled with his laser gun and armored to absorb some punishment, however....

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I'm not exactly sure I understand what's going on here.  If you assign a specific pick, they use it to mine and fight?

megahelmet

• Bay Watcher
  • *casts* Meteo!!
    • View Profile

I like where this is headed! But, if I assign 2 picks and 2 shields....will the dorfs sometimes be wielding shields instead of a pick and thus only shield bash? What would make the best pick? Candy for its piercing? Or something like silver for the weight? Lots of weight, tiny impact point is good, right?
Pylons on fire can stay, its awesome.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

[I've just made some grammar corrections and added a *little* witty comments:)]

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
[By the way, good job in finding this - I draft everyone into the army, and I always had my miners walk into battle with copper pick axes, while using steel ones to mine :(]
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 12:38:38 pm by Loud Whispers »

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I just realized that a candy shield and candy mace is basically a friendly riot police.  A lot of bruising, maybe a broken bone, unlikely to kill.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Could someone elaborate "up to two picks and two shields" thing does that mean I have to assign either 2 picks or 1 pick and 1(2) shields or exactly a pair of both? I recall achieving pick wielding for my dorf in one succession but I don't remember had he a shield or not.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Karakzons: Miner/Millatery Uniform Error Work around. PICKS FOR THE PICK GOD!
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:49:59 pm »

My pardon for clarification:

Yes it does work.
Select specific weapon, go down list, select pick of choice.
This will result in them using the same pick for minning and fighting, even when the pick gets a name and turns into a pesudo-artifact.
Sorry about the spelling, i think i writ it up when i didnt have any time to spell check it. i may get round to correcting my horrible mash of the english language. or i may not.
---
EDIT:

Also: when assigning two picks through this method, the dwarf will DUAL WEILD PICKAXES. Can also be used to dual weild any other weapon. This also works in combination of dual weilding sheilds for some odd reason, so you can have a dwarf that has a pick axe in each hand and a sheild strapped to each arm, though it is still held in the hand.
---

If it works for woodcutters or crossbow dwarves i should imagine so, but since minning is the only labour skill bar hunting (wich trains up crossbow skills) used as a weapon skill and is the fastest to train.

Also: so long as you dont end up assigning the same pick to each dwarf -wich auto deletes it from another dwafs equipment entry- then you can use this on as many dwarves as you like. Any way you do this with multiple dwarves will, i guarantee, result in frustration and repeats untill you work out a system to do it efficiently, since every time you assign something, it randomly shuffles it within the assignment list -so 3 -copper pick- are completely intellagebale from each other-
« Last Edit: September 29, 2011, 03:52:28 pm by Karakzon »

Teh_Havvers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Karakzons: Miner/Millatery Uniform Error Work around. PICKS FOR THE PICK GOD!
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 04:44:08 pm »

Hrm. Try forbidding the picks a dwarf grabs once he's grabbed them? That should ensure they don't show up on the inventory screen when assigning specific picks to later individual dwarves.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 04:55:17 pm »

Should work, since they dont put their picks down again, but its an awefull lot of mincromanagement, if youve got alot of miners and spare picks anyways. Otherwise its easy :)

Lamiales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »

You could try to distinguish the picks by decorating them. Preferably with the bones of your enemies.

Manae

• Bay Watcher
  • Smile
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 08:19:16 pm »

Would love to hear if this also works with axes (for woodcutters to be armored) and crossbows/quivers (for hunters to be armored). Can't test at the moment, I'm afraid, but if this really works, my haulers and civillians are going to be VERY happy.

I used to use hunters, but the absence of armor combined with the extreme distance back to the fort proved too lethal for my liking. A hunter who is skilled with his laser gun and armored to absorb some punishment, however....

Yes. Just assign them the specific items you want them to carry around with them and make sure they're set to wear uniforms when off duty.

I'm not exactly sure I understand what's going on here.  If you assign a specific pick, they use it to mine and fight?

I actually learned about this the hard way. In my current fort, I had a single axe. My woodcutter/militia commander had it assigned as his specific weapon. He carried it with him at all times, but would not use it to chop wood. Similarly, you must have as many unassigned picks as you have miners to make sure they all mine. So if you want three miner militia, have six total picks. Assign the three best weapon-quality picks, and let the worst three be unassigned so they'll be used as mining picks.
Pages: [1] 2