Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 365

Author Topic: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD  (Read 648378 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: [MODDING] CREATURE & ENTITY QUESTIONS THREAD
« Reply #855 on: August 01, 2014, 01:04:02 pm »

It's not in the arena because it has no [CASTE_NAME:singular:plural:adjective]

Are you generating a new world before attempting to adventure?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: August 01, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »

Also, it still has the old SPEED tsg from pre-40 versions.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: August 01, 2014, 02:37:54 pm »

Things without [CASTE_NAME:::] still appear, but are named "nothing", and you get messages like "average sized for a nothing".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: August 01, 2014, 02:42:22 pm »

So, I used the more leather mod that makes skin into a blob and tweaks the tanning reaction to use the skin blobs, to get leather proportional to creature size.

But it got me thinking: how does the current body tissue system work? you get bones and meat and fat in proportion to body size, and a collection of other organs if they're large enough to count. But: you get one skin, and one 'hair', unless you dismember the food first, in which case you get one skin and one hair from each body part butchered. Shells from large creatures drop in stacks.

So my question is this: what governs this behavior? What is different in the tissue layers that makes skin and hair so different? The tissues are defined in the raws, you can change their strength and temperature and add or remove them if you want. Wool is sheared in stacks, even. (I think a stack of any size gets spun down to threads anyway, but I'm not certain about that...)

It's not the tissue layers, it's the butchering process (the items made, specifically), thus why making skin butcher into globs makes stacks.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: August 01, 2014, 02:52:52 pm »

Making a race of centaur-gecko creatures again, hoping to take advantage of climbing being a thing now.

body_default has "[BODY:HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR_NECK]", which looks about what I want.

It occurs to me that while the right arm is on the right, and the left arm is on the left, tag-wise, the lower body isn't... anywhere relative to the rest of the creature?  How would I make it suck that attacks from behind more often hit the quadruped centaur lower body (and rear legs?)

EDIT:  Overall body shape is something like this, but with less tail:

EDIT2: Okay, so there's BP_POSITION and BP_RELATION... which don't seem to get used for much for areas other than the head?  Shouldn't every body part have a relation to the other parts?  This is a bit confusing.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 03:37:58 pm by Nil Athelion »

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
  • [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_BARE_HANDS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: August 01, 2014, 04:21:14 pm »

Making a race of centaur-gecko creatures again, hoping to take advantage of climbing being a thing now.

body_default has "[BODY:HAND_FOOT_CENTAUR_NECK]", which looks about what I want.

It occurs to me that while the right arm is on the right, and the left arm is on the left, tag-wise, the lower body isn't... anywhere relative to the rest of the creature?  How would I make it suck that attacks from behind more often hit the quadruped centaur lower body (and rear legs?)

I'm unsure whether or not we can make it so that attacks from behind will hit certain bodyparts easier than others

You could increase the DEFAULT_RELSIZE of the lower body but that has the unfortunate effect of making ALL attacks against it more likely to hit
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: August 01, 2014, 07:03:44 pm »

I thiiiiink that [BP_POSITION:BY_CATEGORY:BODY_LOWER:BACK] does what I want.

How would I test that it's working, though?

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: August 01, 2014, 07:06:30 pm »

Give your abomination immensely long attack recovery times. Then you can just walk around it and pummel it from all sides at your leisure in the Arena.

Nil Athelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: August 01, 2014, 09:29:21 pm »

Give your abomination immensely long attack recovery times. Then you can just walk around it and pummel it from all sides at your leisure in the Arena.
That's... really clever.  The old speed thing is gone, which is what I would have done.

What controls how many clutches of children a Fortress Civ creature has?  Is it possible for them to keep on breeding and having kids forever?  I seem to recall that's not possible.

Perhaps it would be possible if, after a certain amount of time, it reached a new life stage (or caste, I guess) that re-wrote the child-bearing attributes?  That wouldn't break up the marriage, would it?

Also, last time I tried this, I made the females large, and the males small, but everyone wound up using the same weapons as if they were large, so Durumgir ran around with a pike in a single hand.  That isn't fixed, is it?

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: August 01, 2014, 10:15:07 pm »

What controls how many clutches of children a Fortress Civ creature has? 

Is it possible for them to keep on breeding and having kids forever?  I seem to recall that's not possible.

Perhaps it would be possible if, after a certain amount of time, it reached a new life stage (or caste, I guess) that re-wrote the child-bearing attributes? 
That wouldn't break up the marriage, would it?

Also, last time I tried this, I made the females large, and the males small, but everyone wound up using the same weapons as if they were large, so Durumgir ran around with a pike in a single hand.  That isn't fixed, is it?

1) If your creature lays eggs use the token [CLUTCH_SIZE:min:max]
If they give live birth use [LITTERSIZE:min:max]

2) I don't think so

3) I'm not sure how you would go about this
but I don't believe the marriage will break off

4) I have no clue if that is fixed (nor did I know there was such a problem)
The bag weighs twice my dwarf right now, containing nothin but guts, vomit, and a dead kobold.

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: August 02, 2014, 12:20:55 am »

With armor/clothing and the like, does setting it to FORCED in the entity raw will mean that any migrants will show up wearing it, even if it's military-grade armor? 

What about the starting dwarves on a new embark, will they end up wearing such things instead of (or on top of) their standard clothing?

greatconcavity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: August 02, 2014, 04:04:32 am »

Not sure if this belongs here, but anyway: My fortress has some problems with buzzards inaccessible at the edges of the map, so I want to remove the FLIER-token. Problem is: I can't seem to locate the BUZZARD in the raw files. A search for buzzard only returns language files. Do you guys know where it is located? Thanks in advance!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: August 02, 2014, 05:39:29 am »

Something i really dislike in new version is that goblins now go live into dwarf fortress without any problem, evil killing machine that goal is about torturing and murdering are living next to everyone in peace in the same group.
It does not make any kind of sense to me and ruin a bit of my immersion to the game world when playing adventurer.

To my surprise i found out that the solution was as simple as removing the 2 tokens :
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
from the goblins entry in the entity file.

Worked really great in worldgen.

But i'm wondering , isn't there going to be some bad side effect regarding bandits you can find terrorizing towns and hamlet that have usually lots of goblins inside, will it still make the goblins want to send war parties to attack other civs, etc ?
Basically, will the goblins be interested in going out of their overpopulated dark fortresses to bring war and destruction as expected from them ?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 05:47:29 am by Robsoie »

Coidzure Dreams

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: August 02, 2014, 08:12:40 am »

Something i really dislike in new version is that goblins now go live into dwarf fortress without any problem, evil killing machine that goal is about torturing and murdering are living next to everyone in peace in the same group.
It does not make any kind of sense to me and ruin a bit of my immersion to the game world when playing adventurer.

To my surprise i found out that the solution was as simple as removing the 2 tokens :
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CITY]
   [TOLERATES_SITE:CAVE_DETAILED]
from the goblins entry in the entity file.

Worked really great in worldgen.

But i'm wondering , isn't there going to be some bad side effect regarding bandits you can find terrorizing towns and hamlet that have usually lots of goblins inside, will it still make the goblins want to send war parties to attack other civs, etc ?
Basically, will the goblins be interested in going out of their overpopulated dark fortresses to bring war and destruction as expected from them ?

My recollection is that unless they have [TOLERATES_SITE], then they won't take over a site of that type, they'll just make it into a ruin if they continue to successfully attack and sack it.  So you'd have more ruins due to Goblins than you might otherwise run into as one possible side effect.

I think they should still go to war though, as don't they go to war with Elves even without tolerating hippy communes?

jax3639

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: August 02, 2014, 08:44:45 am »

Not sure if this belongs here, but anyway: My fortress has some problems with buzzards inaccessible at the edges of the map, so I want to remove the FLIER-token. Problem is: I can't seem to locate the BUZZARD in the raw files. A search for buzzard only returns language files. Do you guys know where it is located? Thanks in advance!

I believe you mean a vulture?
those are in creature_large_tropical
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 365