Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7

Author Topic: Duelyst - F2P Tactical CCG - New Expansion due 11th July  (Read 14007 times)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

So, most people seem not to fill up their decks. I tend to, for no particular reason. I guess I should develop specific strategies and synergies that are more likely to occur by having fewer cards?

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

What do you mean? Don't you have to put exactly 39 cards plus a general in each deck?

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!

What do you mean? Don't you have to put exactly 39 cards plus a general in each deck?

I thought I saw folks with fewer cards in their decks, but I could be wrong?

Reyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Beginner decks (the ones the game start you with) begin at a lower amount, and as you level up the faction, the cards unlocked are added to the deck.

In my opinion those are bad decks, it's best to make your own. If you use your own deck, you're forced to put in 39 cards.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Every deck has to have 40 cards in it(1 for the general, 39 playable cards) and even the starter decks have 40 cards. You can check that just by spectating bronze games, or just play them yourself ;p
Start Duelyst with a bonus 100gold, use referral code: Buttfungus
Enter during signup or ingame under Settings.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

Sometimes the cards don't fall in your favour and they do for your opponent and you can go on loosing streaks, it happens, happened to me end of last month where i lost 6-7 or so in a row.
Magmar is my main so if you posted your deck here i'd be able to advise you. You can use the deck builder here: http://manaspring.ru/deckbuilder/
Ahh but i see you said Starhorn for Magmar, hmm he's still considered the weakest general and i've never reallly played him, people mainly go Mechaz0r for him or a pet based build. But still post your deck and i should be able to offer some insight.
Vetruvian is extremely strong atm, probably the best overall unless you're a demon with songhai. Kara still very strong and consistent.

Here's some upto date tier lists:
https://zyxthezyx.wordpress.com/2016/10/02/a-working-class-tier-list-tierlyst/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYbNtszLdwk

Solid decks for a budget amount of spirit are listed here by one of the S-Rankers: http://imgur.com/a/XOhvF
Those may give you an idea.
Well, actually, my Starhorn deck is going fairly well now. I use battle pets, but I mainly use the drawing cards to either power up my Visionar, or destroy the opponents cards (when they have a full hand). It's also just a handy last-ditch attempt. I sort of main magmar, but I switch between using that, Abyssian, Vanar, and Vetruvian. The Abyssian is currently my weakest deck, and my top two are either Vetruvian and Magmar or Vetruvian and Vanar.  I can PM you with the decklist.

Yes Starhorn is going well enough now since J won the recent Eyos tournament with it last week, i was debating posting it here but wasn't sure if it'd be out of budget for him esp as Jax isn't exactly meta atm, then it slipped my mind in the end. So i'll add links now:

https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/561p90/js_eyos_starhorn/
Deck: https://gyazo.com/3aa39b2d6e2fd934d71041aeb4fe11f0

Budget version: http://i.imgur.com/4d2sAvR.png
Well, I switched to Vaath now :p

That's going pretty well for me, and my Vanar deck is pretty good atm. It's currently a Mechaz0r deck, with all the required mechs, as well as one Z0R. Z0R gave me mechaz0r once  when playing against friend :D
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile

New patch out, thoughts?

I definitely think the Kara nerf was a good idea, and now the ability is a lot more interesting, as it effects non-action bar minions.

In other news, Vetruvian is my current main, but I feel like using a bit more Abyssian, and some Magmar.
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Overall good changes i think, didn't change much for songhai, Reva is still nr 1. Lots of salt on the forums/reddit about some of the changes though ;p Vet dispell nerf, i always thought it should cost mana, 0 cost for a ranged dispel, err yeah gg. Maybe a slight overnerf.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bumping this since I started playing about a week ago.

I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on deck-building. Not links to pre-built decks, but just basic advice on how to go about building my own. I got the 20 free spirit orbs from the humble code and want to try out some of these cool new cards, but... well, I really like card games in concept but have probably never built a half-decent deck in my life.

Stuff like... should I be adding a lot more low-cost than high-cost cards? How do you choose which general to use? What the heck are battle pets supposed to be good for, anyway?

Most of the "Beginner's guides" I looked at seem to expect a higher level of familiarity/competence than I actually possess, since they use a lot of card game terminology that doesn't mean much to me. Common advice was "choose a win condition and then build your deck around it", which seems like good advice, but there was no elaboration on what a "win condition" actually was (I'm guessing "get rid of the opponent's general's HP" isn't what they were referring to). Can anyone explain that in terms of the starter decks, since those are what I'm familiar with right now?

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

When they say a "win condition" it could be anything from how your deck plays out over time, or down to a single card or combo of cards that give you that finishing blow. Card examples could be Magmar's Bounded Lifeforce (make yourself into a 10/10) or Abyssian Obliterate which deals damage based on how many creep tiles you have on the board, or Vanar Playing Jax Truesight followed up by a Razorback(adds +2 dmg to all minions on board, making that Jax drop deal upto 15 dmg assuming they all live)

Any deck you make, make sure it has a nice curve that gives you a solid start to the match(ie you want to be able to play 2 drop turn 1, hopefully a 4 drop turn 2) and then a nice selection drops or answers to problems which the enemy may play.
There are so so many better guides on this than i could ever write so use them, pay attention to your mana curve, keep your deck consistent, run 3x of each card. For your 1st deck you want 9 2 drops this will ensure a good start, you do not want to not play your turn 1 to you can contest a mana tile turn 2 with a strong 4 drop maybe 5 drop right side.

https://zyxthezyx.wordpress.com/2016/05/15/principles-of-deck-building-in-action-i/
https://zyxthezyx.wordpress.com/2016/05/27/principles-of-deck-building-in-action-ii/

http://turn1mystic.weebly.com/

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hey, thanks. Wrapping my head around it all is still a work in progress, I think...
My one free Gauntlet attempt was a learning experience. I managed one win before being trounced. :P Not sure I like it as much as the ladder, since I prefer using my own cards, even if they kind of suck right now.

Right now I've managed (somehow) to reach rank 16 with a slightly modified Vanar starter deck. I like Vanar the best thematically, but I kind of expected them to be a bit too complicated for me. I'm actually really enjoying the position-dependent stuff though... the way you can punish the opponent for their positioning no matter where they are on the board, with Avalanche and Infiltrate and the general's bloodborne spell.

I don't really want to craft any cards until I'm further along, so I've just been using stuff I pulled from booster packs... I swapped out some of the high-cost cards for 3 Azure Horn Shamans and added my 1 copy of Frostburn, among a couple other changes I probably forgot. A lot happier with how the early game goes now than I was with the default deck.
I still have a Dragonbone Golem in my deck as my only 7 cost... but today I got a legendary "Pandora" as an achievement reward, and it looks pretty fun. Any reason why I shouldn't swap her in instead of the golem?

My biggest weakness in card games is I always want to pick the cooler monsters over the more useful ones. :<

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yes, gauntlet will be very rough until you get used to drafting well and understanding the game more, i would avoid it a bit until you're a tad more used to the game. But for future reference this is the goto guide with card rankings: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r3tX0myAjXHo-EzGmQ2v3E-P2fLCB-8lcCdKkRzeQq0/edit

The Vanar starter deck was actually very solid when i started back in May, and got to like rank 13/14 before i switched and stuck with Magmar.

For the 1st 2 months or so i never crafted anything but essential whites that were run in all factions at the time like primus fist/dancing blades/jaxi and just made do with whatever dropped and just did quests to open packs. Then i had enough Spirit for my 1st big purchase which was the glorious 3x Makantor Warbeast. To this day i still don't DE anything unless i get full value from it, so i do have like 13k spirit just in garbage legs, but one day, one day those awful Golem Vanquishers may be viable! or changed :) Not to mention all the purp/blue/white duplicates.

A patch hit last week which changed the meta from being tempo/agro to more mid-rangey for most factions unless you play Argeon. Check the cards that were changed and unless you're using them just disenchant them for full value, you have like 2 days left todo this. I DE'd everything but Skorn as a Magmar player, got like 4k spirit nom nom.
https://news.duelyst.com/duelyst-patch-1-76/

Pandora was a meta card that was run a lot a few months back before the meta sped up a lot, now it's slowed down a few decks have started running her again so you got a great card potentially there, defo one to use. Usually you do want to avoid one-ofs for more consistency unless it's a killing blow type card like Obliterate which will only be used 8+ mana anyways, or Bounded Lifeforce etc but lower down in the ladder it's fine for great cards like Pandora. On my smurf i got one of the worst cards in the game as my free legendary reward, Envy Baer :D horrendous.

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Intrinsic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

*snip* ...but today I got a legendary "Pandora" as an achievement reward, and it looks pretty fun. Any reason why I shouldn't swap her in instead of the golem?

This may interest you as you got Pandora: https://www.reddit.com/r/duelyst/comments/5eolqq/daily_card_discussion_thread_1_pandora_november/

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Duelyst - F2P Tactical Board CCG - Next expanions due mid Dec
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2016, 09:20:37 pm »

Cool, thanks. I threw her in my Vanar deck back when I mentioned it. I haven't gotten her on the board many times, but when I have I've usually won or at least come very close.

I've still been playing this every day. Been hovering around 17-15 silver rank, and don't have much hope towards hitting gold rank before the end of the month. Which is fine, I guess. At this point I'm mostly concerned with finishing missions and getting booster packs to fill out my collection. Is it weird that I almost wish the expansion was further away? Feels like I still have a ton of stuff I want to get my hands on from the first two sets and now I'll have even more to catch up on. I'm also... kind of annoyed about the change from 2 wins to 3 wins for free gold, since it feels like it came right around when I started actually winning regularly. :P

Speaking of missions... So far, I've only built decks for Vanar and Magmar, since those are the two I'm most interested in. The daily "play 4 games with [faction]" missions are a bit of a crapshoot, in that case...  I have zero interest in Lyonar and Songhai and very little confidence with the other two. I'd like that 20 gold, but I'm not sure it's worth 4 probable losses on the ladder. What do most people do?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7