Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46

Author Topic: The Great Heavy Metal Thread  (Read 145300 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: The Great Heavy Metal Thread
« Reply #661 on: June 08, 2018, 04:57:31 pm »

Triple-post because what the fukk, why had this thread sunk to such a depth? Each day its absence from the frontpage saddens me anew.

Anyway, just came across these guys. I saw they were supporting Bell Witch and so decided to check them out.
Goddamn, this is good stuff. Slow, filthy, doom-ridden death metal is my favourite kind of death metal. ^-^   
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: June 08, 2018, 05:59:59 pm »

To be fair, Yoink, we usually use the Music thread for our metal postings.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: June 11, 2018, 05:28:47 am »

I know double post, but my fiance found these guys a few weeks back. She listens to far heavier music than me. :3

Ex Deo - I, Caligula

(Yes, I misspelled the song.)
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: June 13, 2018, 05:02:38 am »

If they got rid of the symphonic stuff that song would be pretty rad! Some nice riffs and rhythms buried in there.

As for my recent musical finds, I discovered this band the other day: Evil - 邪悪を讃えよ (full album).
Black thrash from Japan, very much in the vein of Sabbat but with lyrics in Japanese instead of Engrish, which is interesting!

Also, Aura Noir - Merciless (full EP). More black thrash, I guess.
I've never really listened to these guys much despite their popularity, but they're touring down here next month (along with a lot of excellent bands) so I'll most likely go and see them, assuming I can get tickets to one or both of their shows. One's a sort-of festival-type deal with a few rather big acts, so it's pretty damn expensive. Definitely plan on at least going to the other one.   
They sound pretty decent so far, not sure why I've never really given 'em the time of day. I guess I just assumed they were as bland as their name suggested, haha!
Booze is Life for Yoink

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: June 13, 2018, 05:23:06 am »

Triple-post because what the fukk, why had this thread sunk to such a depth? Each day its absence from the frontpage saddens me anew.

Anyway, just came across these guys. I saw they were supporting Bell Witch and so decided to check them out.
Goddamn, this is good stuff. Slow, filthy, doom-ridden death metal is my favourite kind of death metal. ^-^   
Have you ever heard of Autopsy? They are a classic death metal band that have a fair bit of slower, doom'ish songs. Not full blown Doom-Death or Funeral Doom, though. One of my favourite songs from the fantatic album, Mental Funeral.

LOL, wrong song. I was actually thinking of Robbing the Grave
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:31:15 am by George_Chickens »
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: June 13, 2018, 07:34:14 am »

If they got rid of the symphonic stuff that song would be pretty rad! Some nice riffs and rhythms buried in there.

Blashphemy!

I love symphonic metal tho. BTW, what's your policy on quality metalcore in the thread?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: June 13, 2018, 07:44:35 am »

IMO, metalcore should be allowed if it's actually more metal than it is post hardcore, but post it anyway because having too many rules in a simple thread is stupid.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: June 13, 2018, 11:51:19 am »

Alright then:
Blood Brothers

MidnightJaguar

• Bay Watcher
  • This god shows no mercy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: June 13, 2018, 12:00:54 pm »

Uncle acid and the deadbeats. Very fuzzy Doom metal. Would definitely recommend.
23:31:46 <pancaeks> "Today on mystery science with the eggheads: we created these sentient crystal people, now we're going to find out if they explode!"

MainPiston: Epilogue.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: June 13, 2018, 07:45:01 pm »

Have you ever heard of Autopsy?
Yeah man! Autopsy are legendary!
Admittedly I haven't listened to nearly as much of them as I probably should have... probably just an album or two, and only once or twice. I'll definitely check those links out once my internet is being less awful. I really need to get a shorter, more portable cable for my headphones so I can use them with my phone or ipod more conveniently.

BTW, what's your policy on quality metalcore in the thread?
My policy...? This isn't my thread, haha.
I personally dislike metalcore (it's what the cool kids in highschool listened to, referring to it simply as "metal", and that whole ordeal biased me against heavy metal as a whole for years) but I don't see any reason not to post it in the thread if ya want.
There was this one "metalcore" band I met in Arizona who were actually pretty great, but I don't think they actually sounded much like metalcore so I dunno. Also this was in Arizona, so I would have been extremely drunk.

Right now my laptop is failing to internet (I'm posting this from my phone) so I'm listening to stuff in my library. Blood Offerings by Necrot, currently. Such a badass album!
I hope they still have some longsleeve shirts left by the time I get paid.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: June 13, 2018, 08:06:14 pm »

Yeah, for some reason I forgot that you weren't the OP. Go figure. I think it's because you're one of the more visible metalheads here and you dredged this thread up.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 13, 2018, 05:35:13 am »

I intended to open the main page of Youtube to search for something, but it took me toThe Apocalyptic Triumphator instead. Thanks, Youtube! That's one of those albums I just never tire of.

Yeah, for some reason I forgot that you weren't the OP. Go figure. I think it's because you're one of the more visible metalheads here and you dredged this thread up.
Haha... funnily enough, back when this thread started I had a rather poor opinion of metal! I still thought punk was the be-all and end-all. :-[
I supposed dragging this thread endlessly back up from the depths can serve as my penance for that earlier foolishness.
I started typing up some rambly mess of excuses here, but suffice it to say I'd never really heard metal - apart from the loathesome death/metalcore the "cool kids" at school were into, referring to it misleadingly as metal. Whoops. At least I can say I already dug Black Sabbath, I just had no idea they were actually heavy metal and not just some extremely weird '70s rock. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: October 22, 2018, 06:47:50 pm »

Sorry for digging this up yet again, but a friend convinced me to start at the beginning of Yob's discography and work my way through.
Previously, for the longest time I hadn't really bothered to check them out. I think because they came to play Australia and I didn't really know them, and for whatever reasons (probably a combination of lack of interest and lack of money) I didn't go, and after that I didn't really want to get into a band that I'd just missed out on seeing, y'know?

Then this friend had me listen to one of their albums and... it was okay. I really, really dug the last couple tracks or so, but the rest was a bit meh. I said as much, and she insisted that I start from the start. Okay, I really liked their demo, but it hardly sounds like the same band, really. Their sound has definitely evolved over the years.
Then the first album, which was also good, though I just gave it the one listen-through before moving on, whereas with the demo I listened to it a few times. Now, though, I've come to Catharsis, both the album and the song, and... wow.

I see it now! I see what they're going for and why people love this band so dearly. I think.
I'm hesitant to link it, since maybe the progression through their discography was important for making this song seem so amazing. I don't know. Most folks reading this thread are probably far more knowledgeable of Yob than I am, anyway, haha.   
It's good stuff. Really a unique sound that I would struggle to explain. Musical sorcery.   
Booze is Life for Yoink

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: November 06, 2018, 05:50:57 am »

So I found the ideal combination between electronica, noise, post-metal, and dark jazz.

It's Called Terminal Sound System

Another Song

Another quality song is entitled 'Tides'

Also, Atreyu has been making new music again.

Fun Fact: Uncle Acid and the Deadbeats came through town recently. Didn't see them though.
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46