Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Fey moods  (Read 2119 times)

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fey moods
« on: November 01, 2007, 10:11:00 pm »

I think the concept behind fey moods is neat, but I find them to be frustrating. Most of the time I don't have what the dwarf needs (and absolutely no way to get it). I've lost 2 of my best dwarves so far this game because they went berserk. I doubt they'll be the last either.

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fey moods
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2007, 10:46:00 pm »

All I need was rock crystals...ROCK CRYSTALS!! Now I lost one of my legendary miners.  :( I'll never forget the day.

MindSnap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2007, 12:07:00 am »

In this new version there are so many more type of items that completing a mood will be a miracle. That's why I turned them off.

Locus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2007, 12:52:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MindSnap:
<STRONG>In this new version there are so many more type of items that completing a mood will be a miracle. That's why I turned them off.</STRONG>

Nah, two for two successes so far over at my fortress, both legendary miners now. Rock is rock, generally.

[ November 02, 2007: Message edited by: Locus ]

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2007, 01:07:00 am »

I think they only pick items you actually have a reasonable chance of getting.

Beleghoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

My first artifact in the new version required iron bars [which were available] and chert blocks [which i didn't have but made right away since i was sitting on a load of chert]. I can't remember the second artifact but i think it was a similar setup. So yeah, just like Lightning4 said, they choose stuff you already have or can make  from what you've got. I don't think they'll require gold nuggets, which you don't have yet but somehow the dwarf knows they're on the map somewhere.

Just my 5 cents.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2007, 08:29:00 am »

Both times my dwarves wanted things I couldn't get.

Sparksol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2007, 09:14:00 am »

A friend of mine had some trouble with moody dwarves on an aquafer map...after training a dog or two, she ended up using the premature burial method by digging a trench under them, and putting a floor over it after making sure they were in there.. This was in the main dining hall, by the way.
Religion, over time, tends to diverge. Science tends to converge.
Funny thing about magic, it doesn't consistently go either way.

elipsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 09:38:00 am »

I've had two fey moods.

One was a jewler who would not use a jewling shop or a clothing shop (he was pro jewl cutter, pro setter, and dabbling clothes maker) and he went berserk.

the other was a cook, pro cook, novice farmer. He claimed a kitchen (or farmer's workshop i forget) but didn't get his materials and went emo after a while.

if i get a few more no-goes I'll most likely disable them.

aeroue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2007, 10:59:00 am »

I have had about 5 i think. 3 of them worked perfect. The other 2 I did not have the workshops and they bummed around till they went mad.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2007, 11:40:00 am »

I'm on my 4th fey mood. He's going to die because I have found no gems to cut.  :(
My first mood was okay; but the three after that were pretty much dwarf death sentences.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 11:56:00 am »

Guess that fey moods is something that needs a bit of reworking :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 12:11:00 pm »

By the sound of things they seem to be working fine, to me at least.

Me, I saved last night after getting my first new-version fey mood.  I *think* I have enough wood to make the metal he's after, as long as I can figure out what it is.  (I'm sitting directly on nickel and such, but there's veins of native gold and silver exposed all over the cliffs.)

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

Might anyone have a clue why my fey metalsmith (ver 33a) won't claim a workshop?  I've built nearly every type of workshop.  The only things I don't have are a millstone and an alchemist's shop.  I didn't yet have a forge constructed when he went fey so I built one, but he doesn't seem interested now that it's there.  Do I have to build it in a subterranean zone or something?  I know previous moody dwarves were happy enough with above-ground facilities, but...

Even though I finally got him to claim a forge by building one centered on him, the fact remains that he refused to move toward one.

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]

FFLaguna

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2007, 11:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Earthquake Damage:
<STRONG>Might anyone have a clue why my fey metalsmith (ver 33a) won't claim a workshop?  I've built nearly every type of workshop.  The only things I don't have are a millstone and an alchemist's shop.  I didn't yet have a forge constructed when he went fey so I built one, but he doesn't seem interested now that it's there.  Do I have to build it in a subterranean zone or something?  I know previous moody dwarves were happy enough with above-ground facilities, but...

Even though I finally got him to claim a forge by building one centered on him, the fact remains that he refused to move toward one.

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: Earthquake Damage ]</STRONG>

Did you build magma variants, too? I bet that's what has you caught up...  :(

Pages: [1] 2 3