Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Designation problems  (Read 933 times)

Mirror Dust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Designation problems
« on: June 22, 2013, 11:18:55 pm »

I started playing Dwarf Fortress a couple weeks ago, and was hooked instantly.  However, when I began, I noticed I couldn't use the mouse for designation on the bottom couple rows of the grid.  This wasn't really a problem.  However, I started a new world, and it's not just the bottom couple rows anymore.

I am unable to use the mouse (but I can use the keyboard) to designate mines, channels, cutting trees, gathering plants, etc. on roughly the bottom two thirds of my viewscreen.  This is not unique to the world I just made, either; it affects my previous worlds. 

It is some setting I am unaware of?  Has anyone else had this problem?

tar88z

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Designation problems
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013, 01:00:07 am »

Its normal..

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:39:18 am »

Resize the window after the fort loads.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 11:36:30 am »

Its normal..
If you can't say anything useful, then don't say anything at all - this is most definitely NOT a "normal" thing.

What PRINT_MODE are you using? Are you running the game fullscreen or windowed? What is your grid size? If you're running windowed, is the game window always fully on-screen when it starts up or is part of it hanging off the bottom of your desktop?
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 11:57:49 am »

I did have the same problem and I think there was a solution (though I never used it), but I can't remember what it was (probably because I never used it)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Mirror Dust

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 06:15:18 pm »

Resize the window after the fort loads.

I tried resizing the window, and the issue went away.  Thanks.

What PRINT_MODE are you using? Are you running the game fullscreen or windowed? What is your grid size? If you're running windowed, is the game window always fully on-screen when it starts up or is part of it hanging off the bottom of your desktop?

Thanks you, quiestust.  I'm running windowed, and when I run the program, it begins as a much smaller, wider rectangle, but I resize the window to fullscreen.  But I did that before, too, and didn't have this problem.  I'm afraid I can't answer your question on PRINT_MODE, as I haven't really gotten into the more technical aspects of DF yet.  In any case, to avoid future problems of the same ilk, can you explain PRINT_MODE and any other relevant aspects to me? 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 06:48:41 pm »

I'm running windowed, and when I run the program, it begins as a much smaller, wider rectangle, but I resize the window to fullscreen.  But I did that before, too, and didn't have this problem.
Did you manualy stretch the window to fullscreen size, or did you just click the "maximize" button? Also, how did the "responsive" region (i.e. places where mouse designation actually worked) compare to the original window size - was it the same, smaller, or larger?

I'm afraid I can't answer your question on PRINT_MODE, as I haven't really gotten into the more technical aspects of DF yet.  In any case, to avoid future problems of the same ilk, can you explain PRINT_MODE and any other relevant aspects to me?
I was asking what you had configured the PRINT_MODE setting to be in data/init/init.txt - by default it's set to "2D", which has higher compatibility but somewhat lower performance.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.