Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 879

Author Topic: Things that made you laugh today: some people notice when 1 change the title  (Read 1562505 times)

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you laugh today: 10101 bits and counting
« Reply #10530 on: March 20, 2020, 10:04:17 pm »

https://isitbetterthanimaginepartybabyz.tumblr.com/
I don’t understand, why is it funny?

The joke is that every game is worse that the dumb party babyz game, which that tumblr holds up as some sort of Gold Standard of gaming.

Why do you say K is crazy?

He means he puts crazy stuff in his games.

Although I'd say that great creators need to be a bit "mad" in their ideas, but they often lack an appropriate filter - it's the lack of the common-sense filter which made them great creators in the first place. That's why you need someone on the team to tell you when your ideas stink, and for very respected high-level creators (especially in a place like Japan where there's a very hierarchical culture) there can be a lack of people to tell you "no, that idea is just dumb"

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10531 on: March 21, 2020, 06:10:40 am »

BTW funny:

https://games.slashdot.org/story/20/03/21/0026226/bethesda-apparently-broke-its-own-denuvo-protection-for-doom-eternal

According to users on Reddit and ResetEra, Bethesda launched Doom Eternal with a DRM-free copy of the game's executable sitting in plain sight amid the download package. Ars Technica reports:

Forum users on Reddit and ResetEra were among the first yesterday to report on the "official" DRM-free leak, which sat in a sub-folder titled "Original" for the Bethesda Launcher version of the game. That 67MB file can reportedly replace the 370MB, DRM-protected executable in the main game folder with minimal effort and no practical effect on playability.

The most interesting thing there is that the DRM version of the new Doom weighs in at 370 MB and the build without any DRM only weighs in at 67 MB. So they accidentally made ripper's jobs a shitload easier, and saved 300 MB on the pirate file size to boot.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10532 on: March 21, 2020, 09:05:12 am »

The joke is that every game is worse that the dumb party babyz game, which that tumblr holds up as some sort of Gold Standard of gaming.

Isn't the joke here not that "partybabyz" is the gold standard of gaming but that it is an awful game?

BTW funny:

https://games.slashdot.org/story/20/03/21/0026226/bethesda-apparently-broke-its-own-denuvo-protection-for-doom-eternal

According to users on Reddit and ResetEra, Bethesda launched Doom Eternal with a DRM-free copy of the game's executable sitting in plain sight amid the download package. Ars Technica reports:

Forum users on Reddit and ResetEra were among the first yesterday to report on the "official" DRM-free leak, which sat in a sub-folder titled "Original" for the Bethesda Launcher version of the game. That 67MB file can reportedly replace the 370MB, DRM-protected executable in the main game folder with minimal effort and no practical effect on playability.

The most interesting thing there is that the DRM version of the new Doom weighs in at 370 MB and the build without any DRM only weighs in at 67 MB. So they accidentally made ripper's jobs a shitload easier, and saved 300 MB on the pirate file size to boot.

That is the best ever. Well done, Bethesda. It just works.
Love, scriver~

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10533 on: March 21, 2020, 09:17:46 am »

Isn't the joke here not that "partybabyz" is the gold standard of gaming but that it is an awful game?

That was already implied.

"Partybabyz is an awful game" isn't a joke at all, it's just stating a fact.

"Partybabyz is the gold standard of gaming" is the entire joke.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10534 on: March 21, 2020, 10:21:55 am »

No, the real joke is obviously IGN.

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10535 on: March 21, 2020, 11:24:42 pm »

Quote from: Doom Eternal
This facility will self-destruct shortly. Please save your work before finding an emergency exit.

It sounds like it'd be a Portal quote.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10536 on: March 21, 2020, 11:35:11 pm »

This facility will self-destruct shortly. Please save your work before finding an emergency exit.

it does, except for GLaDOS is the place and she wouldn’t self destruct herself

Eschar

• Bay Watcher
  • hello
    • View Profile
« Reply #10537 on: March 22, 2020, 09:30:51 am »

it does, except for GLaDOS is the place and she wouldn’t self destruct herself

There is a self-destruct (the Reactor Explosion Emergency Uncertainty Pre-emption Protocol) in Portal 2, but it's activated by the facility emergency systems and while Wheatley is in charge instead of GlaDOS.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10538 on: March 22, 2020, 09:57:31 am »

the REEUPP?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10539 on: March 22, 2020, 12:46:17 pm »

How are they finding so many games that IGN didn't rate at least a 9? I thought they went with decimals as part of their score so the scale ran from 9.0-10.0.

Edit: Also, automatic first aid machine.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 01:54:30 pm by Iduno »

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10540 on: March 22, 2020, 01:36:52 pm »

The fact that you'd be hard-pressed to find a review below 6.0 or something gives me the feeling that IGN is literally just the game industry's advertisement engine.
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10541 on: March 22, 2020, 02:13:33 pm »

How are they finding so many games that IGN didn't rate at least a 9? I thought they went with decimals as part of their score so the scale ran from 9.0-10.0.

it appears the machine is filling cups, how is it first aid?

Iduno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10543 on: March 22, 2020, 02:21:09 pm »

it appears the machine is filling cups, how is it first aid?

I don't know. That's just what the machine says.

Emergency vodka.

Haha, first aid machine goes brrr.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10544 on: March 22, 2020, 09:09:03 pm »

The fact that you'd be hard-pressed to find a review below 6.0 or something gives me the feeling that IGN is literally just the game industry's advertisement engine.

Those scores tend to become norms: only meaningful relative to other scores under the same system.

Also, user-scores tend to skew high as well. Look at IMDB scores, almost no scores < 5.

I think this is actually a common phenomena with all rating systems where it's out of 10. People have a hard time when you say to sort things into 10 levels of quality, so they tend to hover in the 6-10 range, with 5 or less only reserved for truly abysmal fare, but if you give them a 5-star system instead, they're much more willing to grade across the full 5 ratings.

There's also a herd mentality. If you watched a show, and you think it's pretty bad, but still better than something others have rated 6.4 on the site, then you'll feel bad giving it a below-6.4 rating, regardless of what "actual" rating you think either show truly deserves. So you'll give it a 6.8 purely because it's better than that show others graded as 6.4.

So, for example, if you gave Star Trek Discovery 4/10 (techincally just below-average if you assume 5/10 means "average"), people would ask "you really think discovery is worse that Corey in the House (5/10)?" And then you could point out that, no, you would (probably) give Corey in the House 1/10, if you had actually seen it ... which you won't. But at this point, people are just going to label you an asshole, not a discerning person of taste with a well-calibrated scoring system.

So: psychology. You should give someone a 5-star system instead of a 10-point system, but optionally allow half-stars.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 09:25:03 pm by Reelya »
Pages: 1 ... 701 702 [703] 704 705 ... 879