Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre  (Read 95004 times)

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Relativity; The Dwarven Knowledge Centre
« Reply #45 on: July 16, 2011, 12:03:26 am »

Oh dear, I think I may have a few of my own topics that might have a place here if I may be so immodest.

My baby, one that i've come to love even more with the advent of arena mode and all the community topics that spawned from it is Warriors of Armok: Magma of Life. Though not as well known as the community forum standards, as far i'm able to tell it's the original dwarf vs. dwarf combat tournament community thread, which should count for something. Done in 40d long before arena mode was even mentioned in the dev log. Dwarf companion was used to make the dwarves fight each other in a massive aboveground stadium. Unfortunatly it proved to be too much work on my part to keep going and it ended with the story not fully complete. It was also home to an epic showdown between Captain Ironblood and Morul, with permission from the creators of each. You can read the fight commentary here.

Complete geneology of a Dwarven Monarchy over 249 years might be weird and obsessive dwarf disorder-ish to belong here. It doesn't really fit into any of the catagories... maybe one for legends mode topics?

Then there's The Over-Under Water Reactor. Upwards of 13,500 uristwatts in a massive yet scalable and compact reactor design. Fits in Water related if worthy enough.

Cheers

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 16, 2011, 03:08:33 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87424.0
i feel that this elfslayer should be added, with his thousands of elf kills
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 16, 2011, 02:31:12 pm »

I thought it was here already but no. Got to include the Dwarven Computer, basically the most !!science!!y thing out there.

-EDIT-

I understand why only essential community topics are being put up, so if Warriors of Armok dosen't quite belong because of its nature then it could also count as a megaproject. It was done on this fort:

Spoiler: The City of Worship (click to show/hide)

(yes, that's a magma chamber constructed over a volcano)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 02:51:10 pm by BloodBeard »

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 16, 2011, 07:10:06 pm »

Oh my lordy.

On topic: How science must science be? I'm particularly interested in agri-science and I think I could dig up a lot of crap on that. Egg-production, milking and stuff.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2011, 09:34:02 pm »

There haven't been any definitive conclusions on anything regarding milking, egg-laying, shearing, and the like. At least, as far as I'm aware. That grazing table is about as experimental as it's going to get, I think.

Manic Typist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2011, 11:56:28 pm »

Not sure if this is a new contribution to knowledge or not..... but the clowns just taught me that:

Even if a piece of rock is directly below a downward staircase, it does not prevent movement via the opening created by the staircase. Flying things will move upward diagonally through the gap and into your fort.

Yeah....

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2011, 12:28:17 am »

Not sure if this is a new contribution to knowledge or not..... but the clowns just taught me that:

Even if a piece of rock is directly below a downward staircase, it does not prevent movement via the opening created by the staircase. Flying things will move upward diagonally through the gap and into your fort.

Yeah....

If you're playing a flying adventurer, pressing alt+1/end will allow you to move to the area to your down-right, the z-level below that, or the z-level above that. So yes, all creatures can move in all directions, orthogonally and diagonally, including vertical ones.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 17, 2011, 01:48:37 pm »

Here's a few threads I've bookmarked that may prove helpful as references.

Mist generator design and discussion

how to get your adventurer knocked up in few easy steps (Make babby!)

Pick and Axe : building and living in a home (constructing and retiring a fortress for use by your adventurer)

Urist McTzu's Art of War (A spoiler: Guide to defeating hfs. Old and i doubt it's been updated, but helpful if you're new)

Infinity Project: Experiments in modding and HFS (SPOILERS!) Had some success, but thread died and research halted. Information may be outdated but we'd have to actually perform more research anyway.

I would have requested my mod thread be added to the list of mods too, but I seriously doubt it qualifies as nobody has shown actual interest.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 17, 2011, 01:54:37 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=88592.msg2428162#msg2428162 - Dwarven Optometry: Targetted Bioweapons is a must read, although to conserve the awesome I will not post any info on it here. You HAVE to read this.
This is a blank sig.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 24, 2011, 05:20:30 pm »

This thread demands a necro. We demand a library of all scientific and architectural information.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 24, 2011, 06:35:55 pm »

As it's a repository of knowledge, why don't we just get it stickied? Seems logical to me.
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 24, 2011, 06:36:52 pm »

Nothing gets stickied here.

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 24, 2011, 08:34:38 pm »

but... but... facepalms did...

IT HAS PRECEDENT!!!
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

LilGunmanX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 24, 2011, 10:59:06 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=70153.0

Since others have posted their own business here...

It is essentially three (3) pages of Dwarven Science at its finest. A working end-result was achieved, albeit using a monster with weak breath, so it would be good to preserve this for future generations of Labsdwarves.

Feel free to necro it or add to it if anyone here is able to figure it out.

tripcode

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 25, 2011, 06:35:17 pm »

I'd like to pop this up to the top for those coming from the recent publicity from BoingBoing and the NYT.
Electrum, pedophilia, and necrophilia at the same time!?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9