Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is there any way to stack stone?  (Read 4253 times)

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Is there any way to stack stone?
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 12:18:56 pm »

Does that work? I thought carts had to be moving for stops to dump stuff.

Using a cart to dump does work though, I use that for moving building materials close to construction areas.
Yes it does work, they will dump without moving.  I use the same kind of thing all the time.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

CRM114

• Bay Watcher
  • Rutile walls
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 07:22:27 pm »

Yep - the only situation that I believe requires a moving minecart is if you're dumping into a hole, in which case you'll need to set up a feeder stockpile, two squares of track, and two track stops in addition to the opening in the floor.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:12:09 pm »

Yep - the only situation that I believe requires a moving minecart is if you're dumping into a hole, in which case you'll need to set up a feeder stockpile, two squares of track, and two track stops in addition to the opening in the floor.
Nope. A standard quantum minecart dump next to a hole works just fine--I use one to autodump trash for an atom-smasher below.

TruePikachu

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished System Administrator
    • View Profile
    • cDusto (my personal server)
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »

I like how I suggested this solution several posts back and only now after someone else suggested it are there comments about it. Bay12 is silly like that.

CRM114: Even if you needed a moving minecart for dumping into a hole, only one stop would be needed - they aren't needed at loading stops if a dwarf is what brings it there.
He likes Pokémon, composing ≡«☼characters☼»≡, Windows for its compatability, Linux for its security, and Pikachu for its electric capabilities. When possible, he prefers to consume pasta. He absolutely detests Apple.

EvilBob22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 11:08:17 am »

I like how I suggested this solution several posts back and only now after someone else suggested it are there comments about it. Bay12 is silly like that.
I don't think that is what happened.  CRM114 kind of duplicated your suggestion (although adding the bit about multiple feeder piles so that you could use more than 3 wheelbarrows).  But, after that the discussion was all about how to make it work -- i.e. whether or not a minecart needs to be moving to feed a quantum stockpile.
I will run the experiment to completion anyway, however. Even if the only reason why there is a punctured equilibrium in the fortress is because I have been brutally butchering babies
EDIT: I just remembered that dwarves can't equip halberds. That might explain why the squads that use them always die.

Ravendarksky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • DFMon.exe - Get rid of DF SPAM
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 06:50:07 am »

I feel dissatisfied with the answers in this thread because no one has pointed out the fastest way to transport the stone (albeit not safely).

Dig a 111 Z level shaft (just designate a channel square the whole way down and one miner will do this fast)
Put a lockable door at the bottom and top
Designate the top as a dump and have all your rocks from above set to dump
Lock the door at the bottom so dwarfs don't get crushed by falling stones.
Periodically swap which door is locked and unforbid all the stone at the bottom

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 07:26:30 am »

make moar blocks, you never have enough stone blocks

alternatively do a quantum rock stockpile or just dig to the SMR and dump the rock there.

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 10:16:37 am »

I don't even use minecarts in my fort because I don't know how they work yet, will have to experiment... D-B-C did the trick though, no worries about hauling because i've got at least 40 haulers in my fort, I depend too much on single dorfs, will probably fix that if this fort crumbles... So many things in this game I don't know, we should have a major question thread somewhere.

I'm pretty sure I'll use TruePikachu's way of stone management, because having several hundreds of stone in one dump zone is a bitch, not to mention possible moving of the fortress even deeper down, I'm at 129z and the bottom is on +-240.

I feel really unbay12-ish, just learned how to channel magma so I can use forges and smelting, I don't know how to use traps, I never dipped a mayor in magma pool because I don't know how as well, all my artifacts are mugs and furniture, last time I've tried to build a bridge my mechanic almost drowned due to a cave in, I only farm plump helmets, 20% of my dorfs are legendary crutch-walkers D: I'm surprised that Townarrows even survived as long as 5 years already, with population of 140 and regular goblin sieges D:

Believe it or not, I play this game for a year already, but did only adventure mode
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:19:28 am by Ragnarock »
Dabbling Overseer

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 11:48:01 am »

I feel really unbay12-ish... I'm surprised that Townarrows even survived as long as 5 years already, with population of 140 and regular goblin sieges D:
Don't worry, if you were bay12-ish your fortress would already be flooded with forgotten beasts, goblins, kobolds and a couple of cave spiders while you poured magma on everything by the fourth year, at most.
In a time before time, I had a name.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 06:42:05 pm »

all my artifacts are mugs and furniture

Man, I wish I had more artifact furniture.  That's the best.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Ragnarock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2014, 05:32:18 pm »

They're coffins actually. ;)
Dabbling Overseer

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2014, 12:27:57 pm »

I feel dissatisfied with the answers in this thread because no one has pointed out the fastest way to transport the stone (albeit not safely).

Dig a 111 Z level shaft (just designate a channel square the whole way down and one miner will do this fast)
Put a lockable door at the bottom and top
Designate the top as a dump and have all your rocks from above set to dump
Lock the door at the bottom so dwarfs don't get crushed by falling stones.
Periodically swap which door is locked and unforbid all the stone at the bottom
Allow me to direct you to this elegant solution of mine.

It takes the minecart stockpiling method, and allows for macro and micromanagement, as much as you deem necessary. Just make sure to keep links semi-redundant, only enough for re-processing excess items from post-processing, but nothing that causes haulers to infinite loop their hauling.

It mostly relies on wheelbarrows, quantum-dumps via minecart, and the MASTER-IN allows for all items, and it's as simple as splitting the main pile into a series of separate ones to allow for more wheelbarrows for intake (and you can combine the mass-collector into a single collector to process as you see fit with fewer assignments); and it sorts out the MASTER-IN's intake to where they're needed in short order (cloths and such to clothiers, food from farms to processing places (stills/kitchens), armor and such to military, and so on.

No pits, no endangering your residents, wheelbarrows are nearly as good as minecarts, but more flexible, and renders the weight limit more trivial overall, and lastly, despite a limit of 3-wheelbarrows per stockpile, provided a large enough MASTER-IN or whatever, just divide it accordingly to multiply the amount of wheelbarrows you can use for hauling. Assign a trade depot or workshop area as you see fit to maximize/optimize your industries.

EDIT:
As for the main topic involving d-b-d dumping, another solution for moving every single stone using a similar method:
-Have a Bookeeper at maximum skill (or as much as necessary to make below possible)
  =Ensure you can see all stones in that value in the bookkeeper's stocks screen (No ?value like ?25000 next to the item type. It won't list for choosing forbid/dump)
-Mass-dump by keeping the setting simple (Stone type (Amount in embark area); not ...stone-stone-stone-stone... down the line),
-Enjoy a simpler method, you lazy bastard. :P
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 01:18:40 pm by Itnetlolor »

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

i reclaimed manually since like 2012

it's a shame i still suck at this game so much
You don't suck. This is Dwarf Fortress. lol

I'm still learning new stuff, and I was introduced to DF in 2010.
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand
Pages: 1 [2]