Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846420 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #945 on: December 17, 2014, 07:28:40 pm »

Wallbuilding (and roadmaking) uses a seperate, skill-less labor in the next update! Now I won't need eighty masons running around!
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #946 on: December 17, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »

Wow, Toady, way to shut all the fortress-only whiners up, heh. This is a gigantic quality of life update.

Zarathustra30

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #947 on: December 17, 2014, 07:51:47 pm »

Is there anything more that needs to be done? Is 40.20/41.01 coming out tomorrow?

But I just generated a 1050 year world...
How did we pass from inns with merry songs and happy music to temples of doom and medieval torture with so much easiness and eagerness??

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #948 on: December 17, 2014, 09:15:55 pm »

But I just generated a 1050 year world...

It'll probably be save compatible.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #949 on: December 17, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »

Hehhehehehehehehehee HAHAHAHAHAHAHHA....MWHAHAHAHAHA

IM FEALING EVIL

Somewhat pointless right now as this update does not seem to affect evil potential.... Maybe with the hauling a job updates I will be able to build death traps better.....I have never been able to make them work right aside from weapon traps.....I want to make a death pit but my miners tend to kill themselves.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #950 on: December 17, 2014, 11:51:25 pm »

Wallbuilding (and roadmaking) uses a seperate, skill-less labor in the next update! Now I won't need eighty masons running around!

And I won't have to suspend masonry activities while I'm doing wall building. I can just have my masons churn out blocks while the plebs (haulers and stuff) go about building the walls. I assume floors are included in this, right?

Doesn't seem like theres much left to add for job priority rewrite. Plus the significant hauling overhaul on the side.

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:17 am »

hauling overhaul

Haha. Ha.

Sounds like there will be a lot less micromanaging in the new version. If masons/carpenters/whatever aren't necessary to build things, then we can indeed just have random people who aren't busy doing them rather than temporarily suspending all mason/carpenter/whatever jobs, enabling the labor on everyone, then disabling it on non-mason/carpenter/whatever dwarves when finished. Similarly, we won't have to constantly re-designate ore or stone for the miners to mine; we could simply tell them to mine the entire cluster/vein without tedious supervision. With any luck we won't have to un-designate all ore-mining jobs when we, say, want more rooms dug out; I assume we can just designate a higher-priority level to important jobs. Then, the miners will just do the high priority job and go back to work on the magnetite cluster afterward. I hope.

This all sounds much less tedious and unpleasant!
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: December 18, 2014, 07:42:54 am »

Looking at the dev. page, looks like everything is "Done, next release."

This may have been the smoothest development cycle I've ever seen from Toady. Maybe it's because the features added this time were very technical, giving no room for creative feature creeping. I wonder if the next one (taverns and inns) will go as smoothly.

But either way, thank you for your hard work guys! Here's a couple of questions, though:

Will wall/road building jobs ever go back to having skills associatted with them (that actually influence in the quality/ speed of the job)? I mean, it does make sense to have your guys need some skill in masonry if they want to build a stone wall... it's not exactly unskilled labor like hauling.

Actually, considering that even jobs like pump operating have a skill associated with them, will hauling jobs ever get a skill?

« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 07:47:39 am by Ribs »

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: December 18, 2014, 08:10:12 am »

Excellent! I hope this brings the game towards a more friendly, less unforgiving gameplay, that, as undwarfy as it might sound, could actually help to drawn more people into the game.

Now only rest to have the manager keeping stocks of certain things at certain levels and being able to set the material employed for furniture/crafts (ie specific woods or stones) directly on the workshops without needing stockpile tricks! That would make life far more easier to a lot of us.

Toady, this changes with the hauling and all that sounds like something serious, will it be savegame compatible? I'm kind of in the middle of a huge fort (450+ seats dining room with granite pillars) but also would love to have the new features you have implemeted.

Will wall/road building jobs ever go back to having skills associatted with them (that actually influence in the quality/ speed of the job)? I mean, it does make sense to have your guys need some skill in masonry if they want to build a stone wall... it's not exactly unskilled labor like hauling.

My guess is that masonry is still influential for the speed of everything and the quality when applicable (roads for example), only that just as hauling, now its a separated labor masonry for crafting things as furniture and for building things like walls, that's it, if you want to only your masons to build things then disable "build constructions" from everyone else. On the contrary if you don't want your legendary mason to be bothered building a wall then you disable the labor for him and let anyone else do it.

That way you get to decide who is actually going to be constructing stuff. Just like deconstruction works right now, with the only difference being that the masonry skill might still be important to the speed/quality of the job.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 08:35:08 am by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: December 18, 2014, 08:39:45 am »

Toady, are building jobs like walls and floors now decoupled from the workshop jobs that used the same materials? Like, will I still need to have my manager restrict the masonry workshops so that all my wall-building grunts don't also build my chairs and tables, or is that gone?

Never mind- all power to the Toad!

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: December 18, 2014, 01:29:16 pm »

Now military bugs? Pretty pretty please with cherry on top?
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: December 18, 2014, 04:00:17 pm »

like the bug were if you give a miner in the military a pick he will go put his up and fight with his fist or get another that you did not assign.....PLEASE FIX THAT! we need to have multipurpose miners without the hassle
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Uronym

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: December 18, 2014, 04:18:03 pm »

Or maybe the lack of sieges? There was a thread about it in the Dwarf Mode subforum, but it has since flown off of its rails.
What I think we're saying is we need dwarves to riot and break things more often.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: December 18, 2014, 04:40:16 pm »

like the bug were if you give a miner in the military a pick he will go put his up and fight with his fist or get another that you did not assign.....PLEASE FIX THAT! we need to have multipurpose miners without the hassle

Here's the bug report.   It would be helpful to upload recent-version saves to DFFD and the post the link at the report.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: December 18, 2014, 07:29:11 pm »

so does anyone know what's next, after 0.40.20 ? Curious.

Also there are a few military issues that need to be solved. Lack of sieges maybe, kill/move orders not working certainly. It's making fort mode unfairly and excessively FUN.
Pages: 1 ... 62 63 [64] 65 66 ... 306