Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1848387 times)

golemgunk

• Bay Watcher
  • you are melting!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2085 on: June 14, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »

... deliberately leaving a barrel of booze out to get and giants or ettins drunk before sending in the military.

That would be really cool, and it even has a precedent in several old stories. The cyclops in The Odyssey and the Japanese Orochi come to mind.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2086 on: June 15, 2015, 03:05:08 am »

I'm not sure how inebriation squares with the current relationship DF dwarves have with alcohol. Maybe dwarven drunkenness in Fort Mode will be restricted to "recreational" drinking a dwarf can do in taverns during their break (where they can presumably drink too much in too little time) while the "functional" drinking to get through the working day isn't counted toward them getting drunk? Otherwise I'd expect they'd need to drink water sometimes or dilute their alcohol.
Well, the dwarven liver is three times the size of a human one, implying that dwarves require much more booze to feel an effect. Given the pace of eating and drinking in fort mode it should be fine.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2087 on: June 15, 2015, 03:13:37 am »

I think the debugging-pre-release phase is coming very soon, and that the silence of Toady is a good sign of (pre-release) intense work.

Well, I hope.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #2088 on: June 15, 2015, 08:12:31 am »

I'm pretty sure adventure-mode performing at least isn't done yet. Perhaps some simple festivals visitable in adventure mode. There's probably a few things still to be done I'm blanking on. Simple temple praying for the adventurer perhaps (as opposed to "talk to your god").
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2089 on: June 15, 2015, 10:19:49 am »

Simple temple praying for the adventurer perhaps (as opposed to "talk to your god").
"O Armok, I live to serve you!  Are you pleased with my actions dispensing justice in this world?"

Segmentation fault (core dumped).
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2090 on: June 15, 2015, 12:26:34 pm »

curry(praiseToady, args.catcode)
return amen

/home/armoksbeard/.df/hack/scripts/scamps-is-best-coder.lua:43: attempt to index global 'tuna' (a nil value)
stack traceback:
          /home/armoksbeard/.df/hack/scripts/scamps-is-best-coder.lua:48: in function 'lkjser33333333'
          /home/armoksbeard/.df/hack/scripts/scamps-is-best-coder.lua:60: in function ',,,(^..^),,,'
          ./hack/lua/dfhack.lua:461: in function <./hack/lua/dfhack.lua:425>
          (...tail calls...)

RoaryStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2091 on: June 15, 2015, 12:35:52 pm »

Sorry if this has already been answered, but I can't find the information:

How do you handle events? Do you, say, loop through every/certain intervals of items/units/etc, or do you use another method?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2092 on: June 15, 2015, 03:14:34 pm »

How do you handle events? Do you, say, loop through every/certain intervals of items/units/etc, or do you use another method?

Define "events".

If it's something like when a party is started, there is a counter for those things on each dwarf, which is incremented every single frame.

In general, Toady seems to avoid scheduler-style updates for reasons I don't understand, and prefers update-every-freaking-item-in-the-game-every-single-frame methods, which help lead to FPS decay.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2093 on: June 15, 2015, 03:54:12 pm »

There are scheduler-type updates for a lot of things. If you look at a filling or emptying bunch of water, you can see the pattern of updates going over it. Items are checked for for pathability or w/e every 1,2,4,8, etc. up to IIRC 1024 ticks (said IIRC in an interview).

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2094 on: June 15, 2015, 04:15:32 pm »

There are scheduler-type updates for a lot of things. If you look at a filling or emptying bunch of water, you can see the pattern of updates going over it. Items are checked for for pathability or w/e every 1,2,4,8, etc. up to IIRC 1024 ticks (said IIRC in an interview).

He's done it for water, certainly, because it's such a massive hit to FPS if he doesn't that he pretty much had to. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

It doesn't happen for almost anything creature-related, and probably should, as there's little reason to update thirst, hunger, readiness to party and the like between actual turns within which the creature can actually make decisions based upon those properties.

Water, for that matter, could be handled differently.  Minecraft, for example, largely only checks when neighboring tiles are changed, rather than periodic polling.  (Although Minecraft's system obviously has bugs and serious exploits associated with it, especially since they don't handle flows well or units of water less than a block.) I'd also made a suggestion a while back on treating water as a whole body, rather than a series of tiles that individually flow, which should also preserve FPS, especially with large bodies like oceans.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2095 on: June 15, 2015, 04:49:13 pm »

Is there any likelihood of a more detailed relationship system e.g. social calls, grudges turning into friendships, feelings of indebtedness, proposals (turned down), unrequited love, non-mutual hatred, hatred generally, gifts, stuff that happens to us normally, any or all of these?

Selfish and irrelevant question:
One wheel short of a wagon

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2096 on: June 15, 2015, 04:59:20 pm »

Is there any likelihood of a more detailed relationship system e.g. social calls, grudges turning into friendships, feelings of indebtedness, proposals (turned down), unrequited love, non-mutual hatred, hatred generally, gifts, stuff that happens to us normally, any or all of these?
Yes but not in this release.

Selfish and irrelevant question:
I didn't even know there was a way to start it doing that.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #2097 on: June 15, 2015, 05:01:31 pm »

In your profile -> modify profile -> notification, there should be way to get the board to "un-notify" :
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=notification

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2098 on: June 15, 2015, 05:14:32 pm »

Asking about the "new replies to your posts" menu, which you cannot remove topics from.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2099 on: June 15, 2015, 09:14:21 pm »

Eeeee, syndromes stuff and alchohol fatalities which don't involve setting it on fire, dropping it on someone, firing it out of a minecart railgun, throwing it at someone, etc, etc, etc.

Will barfights inspire troubles later on or is it forgive and forget type stuff for non-serious brawling?
Pages: 1 ... 138 139 [140] 141 142 ... 306