Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 306

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 1846417 times)

falcc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2610 on: October 09, 2015, 12:21:26 pm »

How do the new performance areas understand Z-levels? Is there a risk if a statue garden is set up on a battlement that drunken Dwarves will be dancing off the edge all the time? Or knocking livestock over the edge. Will there be tumbling down hills?

and

You mentioned on twitter that invading armies don't really know why they're there right now, and so they can't be swayed by music, or really anything else to give up their murderous/thieving intentions. Once you have a different system in place (whenever that will be) do you intend to have invaders judging the situation at the fort as individuals or will they continue to have more of a generalized morale?

I imagine there has to be some CPU issues with having every invader's personality coming into play, but it would be really neat to eventually have humans drafting their bards into the army and having them get caught up in beautiful music the Dwarves are playing, and maybe defecting. Or getting caught up in a dance that knocks them off a cliff. All very humorous things.

finka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2611 on: October 09, 2015, 12:35:04 pm »

I think I seen Toady commenting on false rumours/achievments/etc that for now it would be too much work, so it got delayed to unspecified time (see you in few years).
Not only that, but that it requires careful thought how to implement false rumours/etc. so that the unwitting player encountering them for the first time realises that it's not a bug.

Kitsune

• Bay Watcher
  • [BENIGN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: October 09, 2015, 03:07:32 pm »

Salt from water should be called ELF SALT!

You made me snort my tea!

I'm sorry I wasn't trying to make you snort tea. Be happy  the tea snorting didn't somehow kill you, I know I'm happy I'm not a tea snort murderer.

PS don't do drugs or snort tea, drink tea.
Hello I'm insane!

Crandal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2613 on: October 09, 2015, 04:27:40 pm »

With the addition of potential animal-people to Fortress Mode, will we see adjustments and fixes to the old flight and swimming pathing issues that keep units from flying or swimming and get them stuck?

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: October 09, 2015, 05:46:39 pm »

With the addition of potential animal-people to Fortress Mode, will we see adjustments and fixes to the old flight and swimming pathing issues that keep units from flying or swimming and get them stuck?
Eventually, more then likely. Though ToadyOne hasnt said he worked on those pathing issues for this release, so its unlikely they're there.

I suspect they'll get revisited when pathfinding gets revisited, which maybe when we get boats or other multitile things that move.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:50:44 pm by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
  • I didn't start the fire...Just added the gasoline!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: October 09, 2015, 05:51:00 pm »

Adjustments. Eventually, more then likely. Though ToadyOne hasnt said he worked on those pathing issues for this release, so its unlikely they're there.

I suspect they'll get revisited when pathfinding gets revisited, which maybe when we get boats or other multitile things that move.
we do have ONE multitile thing, or did you forget about Wagons, i would guess that the fixes would be part of the bug fixes after the release   
Quote from: MonkeyMarkMario, 2023
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

forfor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: October 09, 2015, 08:45:55 pm »

Does tea snorting fall under throwing or misc. objects in terms of combat skill? ;)

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2617 on: October 09, 2015, 08:47:21 pm »

Does tea snorting fall under throwing or misc. objects in terms of combat skill? ;)
Nether, it falls under drug use ;D
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2618 on: October 09, 2015, 08:51:54 pm »

Eventually, more then likely. Though ToadyOne hasnt said he worked on those pathing issues for this release, so its unlikely they're there.

we do have ONE multitile thing, or did you forget about Wagons, i would guess that the fixes would be part of the bug fixes after the release   
The Wagon is a special case. And when ToadyOne talked about multitile creatures or boats, the Wagon was never brought up as an example as to how ThreeToe or ToadyOne will want to solve those issues.

crazyabe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2619 on: October 09, 2015, 08:53:51 pm »

The Wagon is a special case. And when ToadyOne talked about multitile creatures or boats, the Wagon was never brought up as an example as to how ThreeToe or ToadyOne will want to solve those issues.
Still they are a simple MTC
(Multi Tile Creature)
“Don’t quote me.”
nothing here.

GoblinCookie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2620 on: October 10, 2015, 05:25:52 am »

At the moment foreign race soldiers working for a site are given equipment from the civilization they originally migrated from but according to the soldier classes of the civilization itself.  Not only does this result in soldiers going to battle wearing foreign insignia on their armor but more seriously it results in soldiers lacking weapons if the civ they came from lack that weapon.  With the ability to make armour and clothing for different race critters in fortress mode, will this situation be fixed; also will weapons/cloaks/backpacks/quivers/flasks also resize as well?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2015, 05:52:00 am by GoblinCookie »

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2621 on: October 10, 2015, 05:33:07 am »

I know this isn't part of the release, but how is a wagon in its current state, different from the multi-tile creatures you WANT to create?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2622 on: October 10, 2015, 06:43:22 am »

I know this isn't part of the release, but how is a wagon in its current state, different from the multi-tile creatures you WANT to create?
Probably won't get much more than, 'the wagon code is old and wouldn't work properly.'
Here's a quote from an interview (basically, wagons don't path):
Has creating multi-tile trees made multi-tile hostile monsters more plausible?

It has made large single-tile monsters look more ridiculous, but the code isn't really related. My only real problem with multi-tile critters, if I remember, is the pathfinding.
[deleted]930d, 10h23
Huh... does that mean that wagon paths are somewhat worked out ahead of time (since you can display wagon-accessible paths on the fly)?
I suppose it's pretty simple to calculate whether or not a wagon can fit somewhere and pathfinding is an entirely different beast.

TarnAdams930d, 10h54
Yeah, wagon paths are a special case. If I tried to use that code for a bunch of monsters the game would die, and wagons don't consider most places. It's not an impossible problem, but it's difficult to make fast, I think.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #2623 on: October 10, 2015, 09:04:50 pm »

Wagons also don't consider its relative size to whats it doing either. One of the problem that been brought up, is having a MTC trying to path into an area it can't fit into, even if it limb can fit into it.  The wagon code doesnt understand that.

And the Wagons cant jump or climb either. And ToadyOne has spoken about wanting smaller creatures to climb larger creatures to.
The problem with boats, thats been brought up so far, is what to do when boats travel diagonally is that the volume of the boat changes. Boats would also require creatures to climb ropes. Which was on the to-do list pretty recently (recently in terms of releases), but it was axed do to problems.

Forwe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2624 on: October 11, 2015, 02:09:57 am »

I'm sorry if it has been asked already, but:

Are there any plans to allow modding specifics of ranged weapons(like amount of ammo held, reload time, projectiles fired in one shot),
and to change reloading to seperate action(for example, you can shoot, and immediately after that stow your crossbow and draw your sword)
Pages: 1 ... 173 174 [175] 176 177 ... 306