Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Locktorch, a Endless succession fortress (50.11)  (Read 8306 times)

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Locktorch, a Endless succession fortress (50.11)
« on: June 24, 2023, 08:21:43 pm »

If you want to sign up, make a reply saying that you want to sign up

Welcome to Chicken's World, a vast and adventurous world where you can conquer and rule the world or you can built a peaceful civilization of mining and farming. The fortress is now 20 years old and has an interesting history of the great battles and the forgotten beasts that onced roamed the land.

Some rules
When finished, tell what happened in a post and post the save link so the next person can download the world.
Try to protect people who were born in the fortress. (this still is kinda a bloodline game)

Some Other Things
You can play over 1 year. (basiclly, you can play as long as you want as long as it does not take too long.)
save
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16795

Queue (none right now)

Leaders
1. Salmeuk |5-8
2. digitaldryad |8-10
3. Baprr |10-13
4. Salmeuk |13-15
5. Thomasasia |15-18
6. BudTomazi |18-21
7. Baprr |21-25
8. Chicken |25-

You can do more then 1 turn, there is no limit to how many turns you can take

Links to old saves
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16790 (50.09)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16786 (50.09)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16778 (50.09)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16772 (50.09)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16763 (50.08)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16759 (50.08)
https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16758 (50.08)
« Last Edit: December 31, 2023, 11:53:42 am by Chicken »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Dyansties succession fortress 50.08 classic
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2023, 10:20:24 pm »

Welcome, Chicken! I'll bite. I was looking for something DF related to do tonight and kicking off a succession fortress seems perfect.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2023, 05:42:05 am »

Welcome, Chicken! I'll bite. I was looking for something DF related to do tonight and kicking off a succession fortress seems perfect.

I'll put you in as the first leader and you can start anytime you want.  I've always been interested in making a succession fortress but never tried it untill now. If your okay with it, could you keep a simple log of important events and log if any living creatures in the fortress have kids (including pets) because imma make a tree of life for my fortress
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 09:34:53 am by Chicken »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2023, 11:42:07 am »

Lineage games are a great way to get to know your dwarves. You can get quite attached to them and writing their lives down makes it even more so.

Posting to watch for now.

Edit. Might I suggest keeping the population cap quite low, perhaps around 50? It's much easier to keep track of citizens that way, and population growth by "natural" means makes every life matter.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2023, 11:51:11 am »

Lineage games are a great way to get to know your dwarves. You can get quite attached to them and writing their lives down makes it even more so.

Posting to watch for now.

Edit. Might I suggest keeping the population cap quite low, perhaps around 50? It's much easier to keep track of citizens that way, and population growth by "natural" means makes every life matter.

Thats a good idea, i'll add it as a rule to the main post.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 11:56:03 am by Chicken »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2023, 12:46:57 pm »

Good idea on the popcap. nothing hurts succession games more than when they become unplayably laggy!

====

Welcome to Locktorch. Thickly wooded lowlands, near a hillside. No doubt minerals underneath our boots.

Doren, the Miner, gets to work chopping the sod into makeshift stairs, leading down into the bedrock layers. Olon, the Woodworker, cuts down an ample swath of trees with surprising alacrity. All manner of small critters and birds are disturbed by the felling, but there is plenty of forest to go around. At least, for now.

Dumat, the Fisherdwarf, comments about the lack of flowing water. After some struggle he pulls a miniscule pond turtle out from one of the murky pools. He is disappointed his skills will not be of much use.

Iron ore is struck soon after the digging begins, making Asob our Metalcrafter very happy indeed. He begins burning charcoal in a topside furnace.

Etur the Planter is busy gathering edibles from the forest undergrowth. Avuz, our expedition leader, helps with this.

The stone is layered as follows: first Chert, then Siltstone, followed by lignite-rich Limestone and then Rock Salt below that. The dwarves have yet to dig any deeper.

Two migrants arrived that summer, an engraver named Tholtig and a stonecrafter named Lokum. Work continued on the moat, and muddy work it was.

Late summer was spent constructing the palisade, and harvesting wild berries. As autumn arrived we began thinking about the coming trade caravans. Luckily, the year had been spent making small wooden figurines whenever possible, and these might go for a fair amount with the mountainhome dwarves.

Caverns... almost ruined my plans. But we worked with stone blocks to plug the gaps in the new, grand dining hall.

The expedition leader Avuz caught a glimmer in his eye. He demanded silk, but we had none, and the caverns had no natural spiders present, and so no webs to harvest. He screamed all winter before going berserk in the spring, where he was cut down by one of the miners.

Udil the Gem Cutter gave birth to a girl, that spring, along with Monom the Blacksmith. Udil was married to Urist the Herbalist, while Monom was paired with Lor the Lye Maker (and baby maker, apparently. . .)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Then , a different Udil, a human, and an evil one, coming for our amulet, the first artifact, a very important object, the crossbow strikes the miner recruit in the lung, but quickly they retaliate with a swing of the pick... trading lung for lung the battle is on!!

Udil quickly died after the dwarves dogpiled him and choked him to death. A foul, jealous creature indeed. The first of many?

From that year onward, time passed quickly as work was completed. Hauling, smoothing, digging, organizing. Many many bars of iron were made and turned into steel, however I had little chance to direct the dwarves to turn this steel into useful goods - that will fall to my successor.

A little bat, doomed by the cat's claw:

In winter, the moat freezes over:

Autumn colors!

A road lined with cinnabar statues leads away from the moat and palisade:

A large amount of rather unremarkable artifacts were created, about eight total. Those that were small enough were place on a pedestal in a vault, whereas the furniture sized pieces (a pig iron sarcophagus, a copper hatch, and a wooden statue) were all placed in the center of the grand dining hall, for later use elsewhere if need be.

Three years have passed since I started. The population stands at 37 and the dwarves are generally content, though four of them are showing signs of depression. The fortress is steady in terms of food and supplies, and there is little violence to speak of as the caverns are closed off. We have reports of rat creatures lurking below and so would rather avoid that mess.

The elves, the humans, and of course the mountainhome have all sent caravans.

save here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16759

a final overview of the lower fortress:

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2023, 12:57:24 pm »

Nice, two births is a good start!

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2023, 01:06:48 pm »

I like seeing the ages pass and the dwarfs' stories. Its interesting to see the history and events that happen to the fortress over the years. I'm also interested in geneolgy so seing generations come and go is really interesting to me.

I'm interested to see the future of this fortress and what might happen.

btw I'll put the save file in a safe folder for backups just incase somthing happens.

Edit: I've seen dwarfs become lovers a lot but i have not seen many marriges between them.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2023, 01:52:26 pm by Chicken »

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2023, 01:16:51 pm »

Oh, another thing about this kind of fort. I'm not sure how easily dwarves pair in 0.50, but if it's anything like earlier, some "pre-honeymoon suites" might come handy in arranging marriages.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2023, 01:53:07 pm »

Oh, another thing about this kind of fort. I'm not sure how easily dwarves pair in 0.50, but if it's anything like earlier, some "pre-honeymoon suites" might come handy in arranging marriages.

I looked at it, I may make it a goal for every player to get at least 1 baby born in the fortress during the succession.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 02:09:20 pm by Chicken »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2023, 05:28:59 pm »

Dwarves are better about relationships starting somewhere in 47, possibly only in 47.05. Either way, it shouldn't be as necessary to make honeymoon suites. You can get a lot of relationships by turning off all locations for a bit and making a 3x3 meeting area with no location on it. Truly idle, the dwarves have nothing to do there but form friendships and more, which they don't do much of in taverns and guildhalls.

Chicken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2023, 06:56:35 pm »

Dwarves are better about relationships starting somewhere in 47, possibly only in 47.05. Either way, it shouldn't be as necessary to make honeymoon suites. You can get a lot of relationships by turning off all locations for a bit and making a 3x3 meeting area with no location on it. Truly idle, the dwarves have nothing to do there but form friendships and more, which they don't do much of in taverns and guildhalls.

I'll add this on this on to the main goal for the next successor to look at. Goals are optinal the successors can do them if they want.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 07:00:32 pm by Chicken »

digitaldryad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2023, 09:33:34 pm »

I'd love to sign up!

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2023, 10:59:20 pm »

I looked at it, I may make it a goal for every player to get at least 1 baby born in the fortress during the succession.

"keep playing until someone has a baby" i like this rule..

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2023, 01:53:36 am »

3x3 meeting area with no location on it.

In my experience this also helps married couples be more pro-active in making babies. Just cram all married ones in such a place for a month or two and boom, 9 months later you've got your hands full of babies.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7