Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Digging a multi-level dining room...bottom up or top down?  (Read 3101 times)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Digging a multi-level dining room...bottom up or top down?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 12:24:49 pm »

I got this little trick off the wiki, it might sound a bit complicated but imho the micromanagment is bearable and its 100% safe, unless you screw up.

The top level of the caved out area is designated as downward stairs, the bottom level is upward stairs, everything in between is designated as up/down stairs.

wait til its done.

channel out the whole top level at once.

wait til its done. repeat with above step until youre done. bottom level doesnt get channeled but "remove ramps/upstairs"'ed obviously.

No one will ever get stuck using this technique. if you want to carve/smooth every wall in the hall, even up to the top, I suggest doing it before removing the ramps. saves you some troubles with scaffolds.

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2008, 01:45:33 pm »

"Inside Above-Ground" tiles will prevent cave adaption
no, it wont, not even if the roof is made of clear glass. it needs to be open air.

What about if the roof is made out of retractable bridges?

If bridges still make the place count as "inside" when closed but not when open, you can at least easily toggle between those states to allow the dining room's area and furniture to be modified and to seal it up during sieges and such. It also seems like a neat architectural feature, like a stadium with a retractable roof.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2008, 01:56:41 pm »

That would be nice if it worked (I already tried it a long time ago, haha).

Sadly, retracted bridges still have the area beneath them count as inside.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Dr. Von Uristein

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »

Awww...  You got me all excited with the retractable roof idea  :'(

If you like a little excitement, a well managed cave in is probably the fastest way to clear multiple z levels.  Just be sure to measure twice and cut once.  If you want columns though, it's not the best method.
It puts the golden salve on it's skin...

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:18:56 pm »

Honestly, the stairs idea (already mentioned) is the easiest one to do. Just make sure to build up stairs (not up/down) on the bottom level, or you'll have a bunch of down stairs that you don't want once you finish.

Doing this you can dig from either the top or the bottom, and then smooth all the walls, pillars, etc. Then you can remove each level of stairs by channeling, level by level (don't designate 2 levels at once - it will cause collapses, and dwarves won't just fall one level - they'll fall down ALL the stairs and likely die).
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 08:54:19 am »

I've had good luck with ramps, but I really like that stairs idea. It gives you the freedom to wait for legendary engravers without tying up your miners.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: 1 [2]