Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18

Author Topic: Arks Race - Exploratory Systems, Incoporated: Ark Endeavour (Jump 1, Revision)  (Read 15588 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: Arks Race - Company Ark (Jump 0, Revision)
« Reply #150 on: July 15, 2018, 03:33:34 pm »

Fission fragment drive?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 15, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »

A fusion engine should not even be on the list until we manage to remove the Plastics from our current designs.

Do you see any problems with my design?

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2018, 03:36:36 pm »

I’m afraid I don’t know much about the technology.

But one thing that occurs to me is: to whatever extent that we can considering the cost and less material resources involved, we may want to put some focus on building several mining bays — that way, when we do shit like armor and weaponry we can plaster it all over the ship, and we can expand the skeleton.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2018, 03:43:00 pm »

Our drones were noted as possibly disassembling company property, what if we leave a field of "mine" drones or launch them so they intercept the enemy ship and begin taking it apart. 

Hard to target at range with low visibility and passive sensors until they get in close but the ability to redirect themselves, then they can begin cutting things apart before detonating an explosive payload once they are damaged.

Much slower then a traditional weapon so we will not strike first but they could do some real damage.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2018, 03:44:42 pm »

If they have missiles, shoot them don and collect the scrap.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 15, 2018, 03:46:14 pm »

They are small, they will need anti missile capabilities for that
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: July 15, 2018, 03:50:22 pm »

It's really power expensive.

Our drones were noted as possibly disassembling company property, what if we leave a field of "mine" drones or launch them so they intercept the enemy ship and begin taking it apart.
That'll probably keep us from mining with those drones for the turn, and then we'd have to repair them.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: July 15, 2018, 03:51:34 pm »

Perhaps we could make a drone control module, kind of like in FTL, and have different drone types as addons to it.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 15, 2018, 03:53:05 pm »

But one thing that occurs to me is: to whatever extent that we can considering the cost and less material resources involved, we may want to put some focus on building several mining bays — that way, when we do shit like armor and weaponry we can plaster it all over the ship, and we can expand the skeleton.

Solar Sail
This is just part of it, but using energy to boost our speed means it will continue on an upward curve, and keep going without further cost.

We're in space, high start-up, low- use over time..

More power, means greater acceleration. But we can use Low power instead if you want our current level of speed.

Also, don't we have room for a Main Generator? Our current one is supposed to be auxiliary.
No Air means no Pressures against us. It could work.. Even 4 outer Modules would work for control.{Which may be necessary.}

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 15, 2018, 03:55:24 pm »

Our “main generator” at this point would probably just be the Seraph Stellarator, and cost and lack of current need for that module are the two kind of fatal obstacles for building it before the first fight.

VoidSlayer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 15, 2018, 03:56:17 pm »

It's really power expensive.

That'll probably keep us from mining with those drones for the turn, and then we'd have to repair them.

Sorry I meant designing a new system specifically for making sabotage drones, not use the existing ones.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 15, 2018, 03:58:18 pm »

Solar Sail
This is just part of it, but using energy to boost our speed means it will continue on an upward curve, and keep going without further cost.

We're in space, high start-up, low- use over time..

More power, means greater acceleration. But we can use Low power instead if you want our current level of speed.

Also, don't we have room for a Main Generator? Our current one is supposed to be auxiliary.
No Air means no Pressures against us. It could work.. Even 4 outer Modules would work for control.{Which may be necessary.}
For a combat drive, low acceleration is crippling.
The reactor takes at least half our metal, more likely 59% if we want it before the first battle. Cheaper if we replace the old one, but it's too vulnerable to have as our only power supply.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 15, 2018, 04:00:16 pm »

Ah..

I am interested if people think this design would be a good step up.

We can spend more power to boost acceleration. The Sail can move the whole ship when powered.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 15, 2018, 04:06:05 pm »

More importantly, it’s impossible to build both the reactor and the mining, and we need the latter a hell of a lot more than we need the former.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 15, 2018, 04:10:58 pm »

... Not sure where..

Mining first. The basis of the Engine design of mine is the Solar Sail and it's properties in Space. Sailboat.{Sailing Ship}

It could give us Mobility, and we have the Ion design to work off of for a basic power source for the sails. Engines are currently turned the wrong way for it to work right now though.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 18