Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 243

Author Topic: Einsteinian Roulette (Missions 9a, 10, 11, and Heph post war survey team)  (Read 434271 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 10: Ice 9
« Reply #2025 on: August 28, 2013, 06:47:42 am »

((That was a...nice denouement. Yeah..))

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: August 30, 2013, 02:26:42 am »

((Well that went well. I'll be on the inship thread in a bit.))
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: September 17, 2013, 07:33:45 pm »

Milno idly wonders whether the mission - or at least its first part - will be as calm as the simulation was. With some luck, shit would only hit the fan after they had already disabled the junction.

Advance to the base, show work papers if asked to.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: September 17, 2013, 08:21:57 pm »

Fall in line behind Milno, showing work papers when needed.
Quote from: syvarris
Pyro is probably some experimental government R&D AI.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2029 on: September 17, 2013, 08:36:07 pm »

Milno idly wonders whether the mission - or at least its first part - will be as calm as the simulation was. With some luck, shit would only hit the fan after they had already disabled the junction.

Advance to the base, show work papers if asked to.
Milno leads, Simus and Faith in lock step behind him. The sim was structurally accurate, but it could capture the feeling of walking across that bridge. The fear of being out of an armored cocoon, a youthful swell of pride, an unshakeable feeling of being a badass, walking down the center of this bridge with a nuclear weapon tucked under his arm. It didn't capture the massive, martian red desert that was Hephaestus, surface still not recovered from when all those communes launched over a millennial ago and scorched dozens of square miles at a time. Or the cold winds carrying the methane and ozone smell of a planet encompassing industrial complex. It didn't capture the hundreds of people walking that bridge or the sheer size and sphincter tightening heights of the landing center. And it certainly didn't capture how the sods looked.

Several of them are guarding the doorway at the end of the gangway, seven foot tall gray skinned, hairless gorillas in body armor with a generically handsome face that stretched too far in every direction. They all look almost identical.  The ones nearest the doors are eying the people walking in and out with a strange sort of look; dull eyes like a ruminant, but packed with a predatory cunning, a bestial hunter's instinct sharpened to a fine point through VR training and psychohypnotic conditioning. They couldn't write a sentence or put together a 10 piece jigsaw puzzle, but they can remember 10,000 faces, shoot the wings off a fly at 100 meters and, thanks to genehacked pleasure centers, feel nothing but joy as long as they're following orders.

They're  flagging down unfamiliar faces one by one, stopping every one of the Sword's crew that exited with you. They show their papers-usually on a datapad- and the Sods slide to the side. No words spoken. Milno and his synthflesh entourage file into the back of the line thats formed outside the doors and wait. When their turn comes, they hand their papers to the guards, who take the documents with a ridiculous degree of care, holding them very lightly in their enormous, calloused fingers.

"What in Box?" The one holding the papers asks, pointing at the tool boxes the team is carrying. "Others not carry box. What in box?"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: September 17, 2013, 09:07:45 pm »

"Oh, just tools." Milno answers as takes a look at the box he's carrying, hoping Simus gets the catch to open and show her toolbox if they don't seem convinced since she's the only one with actual tools. He, on the other hand, raises his toolbox a little as if testing for weight. "Afraid mine's a little dry, though."

Talking, move on through the same path as in the simulation if they are convinced.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 09:10:14 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: September 17, 2013, 09:17:14 pm »

Simus opens her toolbox and shows the contents to the Sod if they ask to see. Move on if allowed.

Not much else we would be carrying, we have to bring our tools with us somehow.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2032 on: September 17, 2013, 11:26:33 pm »

"Oh, just tools." Milno answers as takes a look at the box he's carrying, hoping Simus gets the catch to open and show her toolbox if they don't seem convinced since she's the only one with actual tools. He, on the other hand, raises his toolbox a little as if testing for weight. "Afraid mine's a little dry, though."

Talking, move on through the same path as in the simulation if they are convinced.
Simus opens her toolbox and shows the contents to the Sod if they ask to see. Move on if allowed.

Not much else we would be carrying, we have to bring our tools with us somehow.
The Sod stares into your boxes with a dim sort of understanding and you can see the gears grinding inside his thick skull. His jaw muscles clench and unclench as he thinks. Eventually, he nods quickly.

"Ok. Boxes Ok. Go door."

He steps away from the door, his hand moving off the stun baton on his belt and back to hanging just a bit too far down near his knees.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: September 17, 2013, 11:54:28 pm »

Milno simply nods, walking forward and into the base.

Onwards and to the same passage taking to the maintenance area as in the simulation.
>Yes?

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Einsteinian Roulette mission 11: The Calm before the storm
« Reply #2034 on: September 18, 2013, 08:50:28 am »

Milno simply nods, walking forward and into the base.

Onwards and to the same passage taking to the maintenance area as in the simulation.
Joker team passes through the door and into the base proper. It's structurally similar to the simulation, but there are several differences, the most worrying of which being the rather massive amount of civilian foot traffic and several small groups of sods walking about in stiff, absolute, patrol lines. Milno leads his team down the hall, shouldering their way through the crowd until they reach the maintenance door he remembers. It's locked, of course, so milno digs a forged ID badge out of his pocket and swipes it. It takes 3 swipes before the light on the scanner blinks green and the door slides open, nearly soundless against the noise of the crowd behind them. The team slips inside and shuts the door behind them; the bustle and noise of the crowd becomes dull and distant through the wall, replaced with a faint electric hum and a smell of old oil and sweat.

The path is familiar, to Milno at least, and he leads the way as though he's done it a thousand times before. About half way to the first ladder down, they  bump into a man who is sitting on his own tool box in the middle of the cramped hallway, eating a sandwich. At first he appears to be staring at the floor, lost in thought, but as soon as he notices you his face lights up and he waves his sandwich at you.

"Hey man," He's got a fairly thick accent that teeters somewhere between Irish and Jamaican, "Whatcha doing down here?" He notices the two synthflesh women at your side and grins, "Not trying to find somewheres private eh? Got a thing for the strangeflesh eh?"

He laughs, mostly to himself and takes another bite.

"Ah, I'm just fool'n. Where's you all headed though? Something big if it need three of ya."

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: September 18, 2013, 09:44:45 am »

((That is one hell of an accent.))
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #2036 on: September 18, 2013, 09:46:23 am »

Space travel and lots of time for mixing of different peoples leads to a wonderful cultural diversity and a glut of people you can't understand because they talk funny.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: September 18, 2013, 10:51:04 am »

The sim was structurally accurate, but it could capture the feeling of walking across that bridge...
((Bleated tyop alret.))

The Sod stares into your boxes with a dim sort of understanding and you can see the gears grinding inside his thick skull. His jaw muscles clench and unclench as he thinks. Eventually, he nods quickly.

"Ok. Boxes Ok. Go door."
((I'm guessing that a Sod Space Program would make Kerbals proud of theirs?))

Space travel and lots of time for mixing of different peoples leads to a wonderful cultural diversity and a glut of people you can't understand because they talk funny.
((Time for a Space Sphere quote? Or maybe a simulated conversation between the Space and Adventure Spheres?))
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: September 18, 2013, 12:14:33 pm »

"Could barely remember that order myself, but if I recall correctly we have to check more than one place." Milno answers, coming up with an excuse and nodding towards both his synth-flesh teammates with a smile. "One of the girls has a better head than mine and she'll remind me what points we should hit up. Just lucky I got the path to the points memorized myself or I'd get lost midway there."

Answer.

((And I kind of imagined Milno having an unholy mix of the USA's countryside southerner and Russian (or similar) accents which was severely toned down during his stay in prison. Don't ask me how that'd sound.))
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 06:59:54 pm by Caellath »
>Yes?

PyroDesu

• Bay Watcher
  • Schist happens
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: September 18, 2013, 05:19:25 pm »

Read our forged work orders to see what they say, and what security considers us to be doing.
Pages: 1 ... 134 135 [136] 137 138 ... 243