Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: DWARF VISION ingame realtime portrait generator [0.2.2 FABULATION UPDATE]-HALTED  (Read 40875 times)

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
Re: DWARF VISION in-game realtime portrait generator
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2020, 11:27:41 am »

I'm very glad i frequently visit this part of the forum, this looks great!!

I'll be installing it and coming back with feedback if i feel like i have anything useful, but i must say even now, you got a girl impressed, i love the idea here, as someone who's always been bothered at how hard a time i had recollecting who my dwarves were, im sure this will make a big difference to my experience

Hey Mgsicko, really made our day this comment! Aqua was actually (pleasantly) surprised to meet another a girl who's playing Dwarf Fortress, let alone like our generator :)

It's actually weird - we wanted to have a TEXT -> PORTRAIT tool to stare at, what could look like, an artistic interpretation of the textual creature.
But then I realized how actually useful this could be for a lot of people playing, since you would have a visual recognition of creatures you've previously met and orientate yourself better around the story.

Oh shit, this is great. It's like something I've been wanting to do for a while, but haven't had the artistic ability.
Well, well - finally a pleasure to meet your acquaintance Rose :)
I've been reading A LOT about you on the forums as we were developing Dwarf Vision months ago. You wrote some very impressive tools and visualizers! (I actually even saw some videos of yours on Youtube how you exercised in the nature - cool stuff!)
Thank you for dropping by and leaving us a message. At the time being I'm a bit intimidated by the way appearance is handled in Dwarf Fortress..
While I know I can make this work, it takes a lot of digging to understand how to properly read appearance data from the game.

Fun Trivia 1: might have been my subconscious, but I did not have the intention for the title of this tool, Dwarf Vision, to be so close to your tool, Armok Vision.
Fun Trivia 2: just noticed while I copied-pasted; your signature is missing an "i" in Armok Vison

DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2020, 11:48:02 am »

Oooh, I can help with the coding side of things, actually.

What, specifically, are you confused about, currently? At this point, I basically know how the appearance stuff works inside and out.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2020, 12:04:02 pm »

Do you have Discord? If you do and have the time, PM with your ID and I'll add you.

It's a bit hard to ping-pong tech-topics on the forum.

You intervention in this matter is monumental! Really excited to talk more and get rid of my headaches :)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 12:18:18 pm by Rust_Knight »

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

neobit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Page with my goodies (games, music, photos)
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2020, 01:51:33 pm »

Oh shit, this is great. It's like something I've been wanting to do for a while, but haven't had the artistic ability.

I have same feeling. Yet I wasnt even dreaming about doing such thing by myself.
Still I was hoping for something like this to appear for so long :) And here it is with much higher quality than I was ever expecting :D

@Rust_Knight
I have updated all my tools and tried this out yesterday with PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack 0.47.04-r10 and it made me smile like a child.
I'm really impressed how well you have made this. I like the way it is being presented in the 'Game Mode' and the speed of it is also great.

What I have immediately changed was the range of the cursor - down to 0.
I tried higher ranges for a while with existing fort with tens of people there and it was confusing pretty quickly. Maybe if I would start the fort from the beginning and got used to the faces I could recognize them better when presented in groups. However I will try out playing my game further with 0 range.

So far I had the feeling it is lacking other races and maybe a little bit more details that could distinguish dwarfs even more... but the fact I already felt some sort of lackiness was scarry. You spoiled us with this... and for sure, be prepared, people will want more :) Very well prepared drug, same to your avatar - really good advertisement :)

I will come back with more feedback in the future  :)

So far I can say this clearly will go to the top of the tools I use for DF. Next to Dwarf Therapist and DF Log.

p.s. Im not sure about Dwarf Vision being a mod, though, as it is rather an observer. Shouldnt this belong to Utilities and 3rd Party Applications? Probably more people would find it out there as most of us play vanilla with tools.

p.p.s the backlog plans you have... man, good luck with it :D

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2020, 02:26:39 pm »

Do you have Discord? If you do and have the time, PM with your ID and I'll add you.

It's a bit hard to ping-pong tech-topics on the forum.

You intervention in this matter is monumental! Really excited to talk more and get rid of my headaches :)

Sure! I hang out in the Armok Vision discord server at https://discord.gg/rMpYGHy

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2020, 02:39:12 pm »

To Neobit:

Some quick examples of how I see Dwarf Vision can scale:

- more assets: it's not necessarily hard to make, as Aqua seems to take enormousness pleasure out of it (but it takes time of course). It can cover more ranges of noses/eyes and so on and bring more variation
- modular sub-components; Example: just as a face can be composed of several parts, a nose for example, can also be composed of several sub-pieces, resulting in even more variation (thou some limitations are obvious)
- create derived assets via various algorithms, like stretching or squeezing, molding new shapes

This is what I could write from the top of my head.

As for the future release, I'm thinking to add a placeholder for female and child dwarves, until they get released. I actually did not test dead dwarves, but I should make them look black and white if they're dead and within cursor range.
As some of you might noticed, the text to portrait is not yet working. This is in part because the appearance system is not yet fully implemented. I hope in 1 week to have the above changes, including text description.

PS: Glad to hear it didn't fail for large forts - I don't have my old saves since I played years ago and I didn't get a chance to make a serious test.

PPS: Aqua is actually going to start on the female dwarves pretty soon. As mentioned we want to cover as many races as we can, but we're focusing on the main ones first.

PPPS: neobit, you did notice I wrote you in your DF music thread, right?

« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 03:15:57 pm by Rust_Knight »

qualiyah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2020, 05:03:35 pm »

This is *such* an exciting project. Having unique portraits for each dwarf would do more for me than any tileset or other graphical improvement that could be made to the game. And the existing portraits look *so* good!

I'm really looking forward to seeing the female dwarves. Armokspeed!

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2020, 03:06:29 am »

This is really cool. Like really really cool.

As for the female dwarves, I’ve seen many people, especially among the new Steam players, who say they want female dwarves with beards. As that will probably be one of the most common mods, make sure the female dwarves are compatible with beards, unless that takes drawing a whole new set of beards.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2020, 03:49:20 am »

I don't see any reason the mod won't just read to see if there's a beard or not.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2020, 01:15:00 pm »

This is really cool. Like really really cool.

As for the female dwarves, I’ve seen many people, especially among the new Steam players, who say they want female dwarves with beards. As that will probably be one of the most common mods, make sure the female dwarves are compatible with beards, unless that takes drawing a whole new set of beards.

Excellent point! (Albeit a bit weird and funny in the same time?)
Art-wise, it shouldn't be all that hard so it's something to consider.
Maybe I should just make an option natively in Dwarf Vision that can be toggled at will.

DarthRubik

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Rubik's Cubes for their colorful pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2020, 07:05:25 pm »

PTW......Looks pretty awesome.

I cannot wait for the female dwarves to come out, because my current fort has a hammer wielding queen.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2020, 10:30:48 pm »

This looks fantastic.
How well does it (will it) work with mods?

By which I don't mean whole new modded races, more the "bearded female dwarves, humans with braided beards, goblins with blue eyes" kind of mods.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2020, 01:04:30 am »

This looks fantastic.

By which I don't mean whole new modded races, more the "bearded female dwarves, humans with braided beards, goblins with blue eyes" kind of mods.

As long as these characteristics are reflected in the game's raws, it means Dwarf Vision will also take note of them. Some will work straight away, others might need a small tweak.
As an example, because Voliol made a very pertinent point about this, it made me aware of the situation before starting to work on dwarven females, thus being able to adapt them accordingly.

On a general note on mod compatibility, it should be almost 100% compatible with any mod, since all it does is to interpret data from Dwarf Fortress. Currently I cannot think of a scenario where it wouldn't be. (never say "never" thou  ;) )

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2020, 03:25:43 am »

This looks fantastic.

As long as these characteristics are reflected in the game's raws, it means Dwarf Vision will also take note of them. Some will work straight away, others might need a small tweak.
As an example, because Voliol made a very pertinent point about this, it made me aware of the situation before starting to work on dwarven females, thus being able to adapt them accordingly.

On a general note on mod compatibility, it should be almost 100% compatible with any mod, since all it does is to interpret data from Dwarf Fortress. Currently I cannot think of a scenario where it wouldn't be. (never say "never" thou  ;) )
So, you don't have to worry if modders add beards to goblins, it'll just work? Your comment about female dwarves made it seem like you'd have to take into account every possibility and adjust accordingly for each one. Is it more flexible than that then?

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2020, 07:37:33 am »

This looks fantastic.

So, you don't have to worry if modders add beards to goblins, it'll just work? Your comment about female dwarves made it seem like you'd have to take into account every possibility and adjust accordingly for each one. Is it more flexible than that then?

Indeed it is so - with the current system in place you would need to account for each one of them.
That isn't to say there aren't means to adapt this. Make a measurement of the base skull of the creature and manipulate the beard asset to re-scale and reposition on the new face.

The calculations/work would be done once, in realtime (also makes a PNG copy). After that the portrait will just reload a saved copy of a PNG. When new changes are made (Ex: loss of beard), a new realtime interpretation is needed.
I doubt this would be computational intensive since I've already tried it on other (defunct) projects of mine. (see below)

(NOT related to Dwarf Vision) - used only as example

To be honest, Dwarf Vision can walk on a lot of paths. The potential is indeed almost limitless.
It just depends on the support/how-used-it-is-by-the-community.

If that's the case, sure - you can brush even machine learning solutions in. But I am of the belief that you can do a lot even without ML, thou it's nice to have.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2020, 07:40:03 am by Rust_Knight »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6