No Poll

For
- 0 (0%)
Serious
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 14, 2012, 06:17:21 pm

Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 252

Author Topic: Mabinogi-On Steam! Close combat revamp!  (Read 361489 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio

By which I mean bards are useless and a trap in the earlier levels precisely because it's mostly buffs. 99 times out of 100, having one more person to beat monsters up is better than having a non-combatant buffer.

My paragraph was about how new systems always seem to be better than old ones... except bards. I know because I started as a bard and rapidly became useless.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock

naaaah bards are good, you're very much underrating them.

Lullaby is AMAZING for multiaggro, a hell of a lot better then an extra low level combatant, the buffs are handy and even as a high level warrior almost entirely negate the need for stamina potions, which is very nice (admittedly the buffs can be played by anyone). A percentage boost of damage is great too.

The real issue is a lot of this balance stuff breaks down at high levels, because there's nothing stopping anyone from just grabbing every skill they can work into their rotation, and bard buffs are prime "use before someone opens a chest" material.

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm with Seriyu here. Bards are great.

Sure they can't compare to other "classes" in combat, but honestly anyone taking bard and expecting to be using that as primary skills in combat just missed the point. Music skills aren't hiding their near complete uselessness in combat, there's no misleading anywhere about the skill tree: it's for support and only decent at it most of the time. There is a reason we can equip 2 sets of weapon in the game  :P  But whatever, that extra support can make a huge difference in some circonstances.

The only problem now is with singing rank 5+ turning the bard "class" into nothing more than a handful of secondary hotkeys available to anyone at anytime.

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I apologize if I’ve offended you, Skyrunner.  When I made that post I’d just gotten off of work after a 13.5 hour day and it wasn’t the best day at that.  I’ve seen people refer to bards as “hax” and “OP” and never quite got it.  I took your comment in a similar tone, that bards were already OP and I was missing out on something.  I apologize again for any confusion that I’ve caused.

I started as close combat and moved into bard so the buff skills really helped complement my fighter skills.  Being able to buff myself on a solo mission turned into a great boon but that drops off.  I don’t have trouble with advanced missions anymore but moving into hard mode I know that I’m way out of my league.  Everyone running hard mode with me seems to have maxed bard skills and can buff better than I can which makes me mostly redundant.  No one gives me any grief as I mostly stand around and stick to lullaby and discording the occasional straggler but I know I’m a definite leach on XP.  On average it takes me 5 ~ 8 attacks to down one enemy unless I get some good crits which is why I’m trying to look into puppets or guns.

With this being the situation does anyone have any other suggestions?  If Mabi wins the next poll for 3x AP that should go a long way to developing a new skill set.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

The best damage right now comes from Fighter, Puppets, and Magic.
Among those, Fighter is the master of 1v1, Puppets can take down groups of enemies easily, and Magic is just wrong and can do anything you want it to.
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Update for MMO Bomb voting:

Mabi wins over Ragnarok Online and we’ll be having 3x AP this weekend, 3/29 and 3/30 if Nexon holds up their end.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile

Wow, wasn't expecting to pull that one. When I looked, RO was winning by 9% or so. Great work, everyone. AP TIME!!!

The best damage right now comes from Fighter, Puppets, and Magic.
Among those, Fighter is the master of 1v1, Puppets can take down groups of enemies easily, and Magic is just wrong and can do anything you want it to.
While Fighter does great damage, it does that great damage to one thing. I'd much prefer at least some AoE capabilities. Puppets can cover that, I don't think we have a puppeteer main, and IIRC Haru has a lot of dex, so that'd be a good thing to go for IMO. Magic is also quite powerful but it does take a pretty significant investment of AP and money, and time to a lesser extent. Seriously, bolts are like 300, intermediates are like 400, and masteries are like 200 more each. Not to mention repairs and page costs (if you don't want to rely on us).

I'd also like to throw in Battle Alchemy and back melee up. With the rebalance, alchemy takes much less effort and can do pretty great damage with ranks and full HP/MP/SP bars. It also has good support skills too, like Sand Burst and Frozen Blast. Inventory space is also less of an issue because of free Inv+ and those bags.

Melee is still a nice choice because even if it's not as powerful or flashy as the others, it's easy to use and probably one of the most balanced. Keep at it, and maybe try a different weapon. It has the side benefit of having most of us know how to use it, so you can just ask us about stuff.

And Seriyu reminded me about lances. They ignore some prot and defense, have great damage values, and get a smash boost for being two-handed. Lance Charge is also pretty nice. The only issue lancing has is their total lack of defense; sooner or later, some mob will lag-teleport into your minimum range, forcing you to struggle for your life. They also lack AoE so you'll be kind of screwed in multiaggro.

Of course, this is just my opinion on things, and I'm far from being the greatest pro who ever lived.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile

Woo, triple AP.
Hopefully this weekend is when I can RB on Hishi, :D

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
Re: Mabinogi-On Steam! SHIELD CYLINDER UPDATE! 3x AP this weekend!
« Reply #3519 on: March 25, 2014, 03:18:17 pm »

(removed)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:49:55 pm by Toady One »

alexwazer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3520 on: March 25, 2014, 04:29:07 pm »

I was not expecting Mabi to win this round, but apparently there was a lot cheating on RO side. A lot more than Mabi, which is very good for Mabi. Good and free marketing campaign for both the game and the community.

I'll most likely log in for some of that tasty AP. I haven't rebirthed any characters lately because I was waiting to see where this tournament would go and what potential rewards we would get. Yeah, even if I haven't been playing I have been voting constantly and thus shall enjoy the reward :P And then stop playing again ::)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 08:40:48 am by alexwazer »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3521 on: March 25, 2014, 05:33:02 pm »

While it would be an impressive feat worth celebrating, that is kind of gross.

I'll most likely log in for some of that tasty AP. I haven't rebirthed any characters lately because I was waiting to see where this tournament would go and what potential rewards we would get. Yeah, even if I haven't been playing I have been voting constantly and thus shall enjoy the reward :P And then stop playing again ::)
I'll probably follow suit, though substitute "I was waiting to see where this tournament . . . " with "I wasn't playing".

AP though! That's a great reason to come back, and not a moment too soon. Just went on, and my seals had only a few days left before expiring. That would have been a disaster.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Malt_Hitman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3522 on: March 25, 2014, 10:49:10 pm »

If we beat Planetside 2, I will get ribs removed and suck my own *HISHI*, free of charge.

People are already talking about the Planetside match-up on the forums.  Last round they put in about 3,000 votes.  It's very likely that not all Planetside players voted against a game like Star Trek Online and active players will likely do more mobilization against an active community like Mabi.  Also, Mabi will have to face off against Planetside, LOTROL holdovers, RO vengeance seekers, and anyone else looking to take down Mabi before the divisional breakout.  Expect more bot-tainted results on one side or the other.  I'm sure someone at MMOBomb has a headache and really wishes they'd never included Mabi on their list.  :P

Divisional finals should begin tomorrow, Wednesday, March 26.  Your vote is greatly appreciated and we could have “something even better than an event!!”Source=Post 365 if we win against Planetside.

For AP:

I'd like to point out that I haven't seen any official announcement yet that 3x AP is going to be this weekend but it should be. I expected an announcement by Sabina (Mabinogi Community Manager) in the victory/results thread but there hasn't been one yet.  Everyone on the forums is under that assumption right now so I'm going with the flow.  I'm just putting this here so no one takes it out on me if Nexon decided to mess with everyone on this.

I gambled on a paid rebirth on Sunday night betting on Mabi to win so I can snag around 24 hours for level grinding on Saturday before another rebirth for more on Sunday.  If you're looking to get the most out of exploration levels I'd suggest you log on today (Tuesday) and pickup a golden elephant statue from the seal shop.  It's 200 seals but it will get you to level 29 exploration with 450k exploration XP.  (Unless you have gacha statues squirrled away somewhere.)  Other than that, SM grind with shadow crystals.  I'll be more then happy to tag along and buff everyone for some HM spam.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #3523 on: March 25, 2014, 11:26:27 pm »

Yeah, there are just too many F2P titans waiting in the wings. I love mabi, and I daresay it was probably the best F2P MMO back when it came out, and even in the years after that, but stuff like path of exile, warframe, planetside 2 are all like, almost triple A titles for free.

Mabi should be very proud of itself, but I think planetside 2 will be the one to end it. If not, well, I don't even know.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3524 on: March 26, 2014, 07:37:15 pm »

Surprisingly, so far Mabi's winning 72%-28%. It has to hold this position for the next two days, but seems pretty good for us so far.

There's also some Cosmic Stallion pet (same stuff as a flame mare, but blue and glowy) and a Wishing Tree event. You have to search for hidden wishes with an L-rod, get 10, and post them on the tree (near Qilla) for some.... less than outstanding rewards. Wow! Brown Pine Mushrooms!
Pages: 1 ... 233 234 [235] 236 237 ... 252