Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 543427 times)

DFNewb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #60 on: December 18, 2010, 08:25:36 pm »

Hmmm I downloaded the Zip version, then when I run it, it loads, then my comp freezes and restarts, and I get a error message after the restart.
Reasonableman playing Batman: Arkham Asylum
Luke_Prowler : Boot: apply directly to the forehead

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 18, 2010, 08:30:27 pm »

Hmmm I downloaded the Zip version, then when I run it, it loads, then my comp freezes and restarts, and I get a error message after the restart.

Sounds like an opengl/video card driver issue.

Make a shortcut to xrl.exe with the "-console" paramater and run that instead. That should fix your issue. Make sure you install to a directory that isn't program files, or run as administrator.

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 18, 2010, 09:13:44 pm »

Man, I really like the game, but it gives me a headache after playing for about 15 minutes. :'( Not sure what it is about it, as I can play DF Adventure Mode in ASCII just fine.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2010, 09:14:30 pm »

What was the most dissapointing part was the fact that after I died I found out that one of the artifacts I raided was a freaking CHAINGUN(which has the exact same damage rolls as DoomRL's chaingun, strangely).
Have you played DoomRL unormal?
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:04 pm »

Man, I really like the game, but it gives me a headache after playing for about 15 minutes. :'( Not sure what it is about it, as I can play DF Adventure Mode in ASCII just fine.

Could try the real console instead, make a shortcut to xrl.exe with "-console" as a paramter. Or try just adding "-filter" to filter (antialias) the opengl graphics.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 18, 2010, 09:15:37 pm »

What was the most dissapointing part was the fact that after I died I found out that one of the artifacts I raided was a freaking CHAINGUN(which has the exact same damage rolls as DoomRL's chaingun, strangely).
Have you played DoomRL unormal?

Yes, I really like DoomRL, though the chaingun statistics are a coincidence.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 18, 2010, 09:43:41 pm »

So... creator, or anyone that's been paying more attention then me, can you tell me how multiple arms interact with dual-wielding and shields? My primary intent is to to be dual-wielding (cudgel and dagger) with my main set of arms, then holding a light (at least until I find another floating gloworb... awesome things.) and a shield (not buckler, but actual shield) in my second pair.

Will holding the shield in the second set mess with blocking/shield skills any? Will it cause any problems with dual-wield skills? How does the (do they at all?) dual-wield skills interact with the second arms?

My current mutant (multi-legs & arms, freezing hands, teleportation) is rocking in a massive way, though I'm going pretty slow -- level 10, just hitting red rock caves. I cleared out a cavern full of drill and scrap bots, both of which freeze-lock surprisingly easy. Being able to stun (hands) and kite (5th level legs) with near impunity (not to mention 5th level freezing hands hits like a truck) is massive boon to general capability. Starting with a three armor/0 dodge piece of armor (recycling suit) didn't hurt, nor does having a carbide hammer and carbide shortsword/dagger offhands. M'slowly building up my tinker skills, and found an awesome datadisk (nuclear cell!) for when I get powered junk.

Also, anyone know when freezing occurs? I think th'folks over at the SA thread mentioned you ignite when you hit like 600, is -600 when you stop moving? Does being particularly cold slow you down? It seems to slow up everything else, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 18, 2010, 09:46:45 pm »

So... creator, or anyone that's been paying more attention then me, can you tell me how multiple arms interact with dual-wielding and shields? My primary intent is to to be dual-wielding (cudgel and dagger) with my main set of arms, then holding a light (at least until I find another floating gloworb... awesome things.) and a shield (not buckler, but actual shield) in my second pair.

Will holding the shield in the second set mess with blocking/shield skills any? Will it cause any problems with dual-wield skills? How does the (do they at all?) dual-wield skills interact with the second arms?

My current mutant (multi-legs & arms, freezing hands, teleportation) is rocking in a massive way, though I'm going pretty slow -- level 10, just hitting red rock caves. I cleared out a cavern full of drill and scrap bots, both of which freeze-lock surprisingly easy. Being able to stun (hands) and kite (5th level legs) with near impunity (not to mention 5th level freezing hands hits like a truck) is massive boon to general capability. Starting with a three armor/0 dodge piece of armor (recycling suit) didn't hurt, nor does having a carbide hammer and carbide shortsword/dagger offhands. M'slowly building up my tinker skills, and found an awesome datadisk (nuclear cell!) for when I get powered junk.

Also, anyone know when freezing occurs? I think th'folks over at the SA thread mentioned you ignite when you hit like 600, is -600 when you stop moving? Does being particularly cold slow you down? It seems to slow up everything else, heh.

Using a light and shield in your secondary arms should be just fine. Dual-wield skills apply to your primary arms, your secondary arms have their own reduced change to proc based on your mutation level.

Freezing ocurrs based on your material; as you get colder, it will slow you down.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 18, 2010, 10:18:48 pm »

Yes, I really like DoomRL, though the chaingun statistics are a coincidence.
Must've been some long term memory or something. "Hm, what damage should the chaingun be? *subconscious thinks of DoomRL's 4x1d6 chaingun damage* Hm, what about 1d6 and four shots? Yeah, that's a good choice."

Anyway, unormal, minor question; what kind of items go into the Floating Nearby slot of the inventory? Nothing ever seems to go there.

Also, holy crap saves are big.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 10:37:04 pm »

I found a floating glowsphere, once. Was like one of those ego-type things on the weapons, willowy, etc. Would have been holy-hell useful on something that already didn't have four arms -- it'd let true men wear a shield and not, miraculously, be blind at night.

Glowspheres >> torches. I'm quite curious to see what sort of light comes next...

Edit, argh, game-stopping error:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 10:51:17 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 18, 2010, 11:14:46 pm »

Unormal, in the quest where you give Argvye wire, when you give it to him it still stays in your inventory. I think it may be the reason for this error message:
Bad binding, BringArgyveWire, Tarran, Took.

Edit: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH, SALT WURMSSSSSSSSSS. GAH, FREAKING 232 DAMAGE!
« Last Edit: December 18, 2010, 11:31:30 pm by Tarran »
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 19, 2010, 12:07:20 am »

Yeah, the no-give quest items is a known thing, slated for fixin' eventually. Saw it mentioned on the main forum. Once you've got the quest complete, you can go sell the junk to someone. The wire doesn't sell well, but the non-tinker joppa fetch quest does.

As to salt wurms, all things fall before freezing hands. All things*.

*except gamestopping bugs.

EDIT: Shout-out to anyone that's having problems with save-game size -- if you compress (Winzip/rar, 7zip, etc) the save folder while you're not using that character, the HD consumption will freaking plummit. Had a ~200 meg folder compress down to 9.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:23:11 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 19, 2010, 12:28:37 am »

This game sounds great, but all the talk of headache-inducing ASCII is offputting.

I'm not allergic to ASCII by any means, but if it's so bad that Dwarf Fortress players are complaining of eyesores, then I don't even have to see it to know I couldn't enjoy it. :(
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 19, 2010, 12:36:26 am »

Supposedly playing in console mode or with opengl filters or something can improve things, but I've not gotten around to trying that. The eyestrain's gone down a bit now that I've been playing it for several hours, but I've still got a low-grade headache burgeoning, mostly 'cause of trying to find those damn crocs in the middle of swamps, and similar stuff.

I think most of the eye-strain's caused by the screen being too busy without sufficient filter... a 'seen creatures' and 'seen items' tab or something (terminal windows, ala *band varients) would probably cut my headache in half, if not outright eliminate it. I've recently noticed pressing alt does something odd that simplifies the map noise for a moment, which has been helping a bit, but you can't move around while doing it.

A lot of the folks playing it aren't even getting pinged by whatever's causing the problems for some of us. Give it a try and see which group you're in -- it's definitely a game worth a lil'pain to get into ;D
« Last Edit: December 19, 2010, 12:38:00 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 19, 2010, 12:39:07 am »

Eh, it's just a bit tough to spot some creatures in certain situations. IE: the above mentioned Crocodiles in swamps.

I personally haven't gotten any headaches or anything like that.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 250