Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 543408 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #990 on: March 18, 2011, 04:07:47 pm »

Ok something is either wrong with my characters or with this game.

I made a syzygigor once, didn't even care if he died or lived, and made a speedrun through all the quests. (I searched for stairs only and as soon as I found the girshling and later the wire I always backtracked to stairs, and didn't bother searching the rest of the area)

Went to grit gate, speedrun to entrance, then slash my way in golgotha no problem. Died at bethesta susa.

Then later a mutant character with all stat enchancing mutations (the stats of a mutant are actually higher than true humans because of that)
He has real trouble surviving now. Getting confuzed from witchwood and small amounts of it for healing don't help.
I had to cheat to get the scrapped waydroid, since everything killed him so easily.
I think True humans even with actually lower stats (stat enchancing mutations are OP btw) have hidden bonuses or something.

A hint to everyone: pick a defect and distribute the points and delete the defect, you'll be at -4 points and unable to progress. Now if you press "walk northeast" you'll end up at class picking screen, and now you're at +4 points than you would be normally.

Also on defects:
Plenty of them are actually beneficial/not that harmfull.
Amphibious says that you need submersion in fresh water. What it actually does is let you stand around in water and "drink" it. When you drink water when amphibious you "pour" it on yourself. You also can go longer periods of time without water. "P"ouring salty and brackish water on yourself will fully fill you up. This way you can use fresh water for trading, and use the common salty water for drinking instead. See? Advantage labeled as defect.

Other beneficial/not harmfull defects:
Brittle bones - never seen a broken bone and you can buy a skill to fix them
Hooks for feet - even with fullerite boots you are only losing 3av tops
Ravenous - food is plenty
Blinking tic - looks like random teleporting in ADOM. While annoying it should in theory actually help you escape danger
Socially repugnant/albino - seems to only be a negative ego while trading

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: March 18, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »

A hint to everyone: pick a defect and distribute the points and delete the defect, you'll be at -4 points and unable to progress. Now if you press "walk northeast" you'll end up at class picking screen, and now you're at +4 points than you would be normally.
*Gasp*, cheater. >:O

Brittle bones - never seen a broken bone and you can buy a skill to fix them
When I tried it with a melee charicter, I died horribly much quicker than without it. It's pretty bad.

Hooks for feet - even with fullerite boots you are only losing 3av tops
You also loose 10 points (1/10th) of your speed, though, making running away harder.

Ravenous - food is plenty
Only if you remember to pick corpses up. I often find myself low on food.

Socially repugnant/albino - seems to only be a negative ego while trading
Makes it hard to trade, though. And often the traders will have something worthwhile, especially the glowpad.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #992 on: March 18, 2011, 04:16:37 pm »

Brittle Bones reportedly, from the game's forums, actually causes you to take extra damage from blunt attacks (probably punching, hammers, pretty much anything that reports "you feel your bones breaking").

3AV doesn't sound like a lot but even 1 point of AV can make a huge difference, especially early on until you become nigh-unkillable (usually because of having high AV). A lot of this has to do with ranged attacks completely ignoring DV. My mutant had a hell of a time in Golgotha with all the glowmoths/apflies or whatever until I went from 5AV to 8AV. The flies went from doing 7-14 damage multiple times from outside my (night vision) LoS to doing nothing at all.

All that said, I agree that certain mutations and defects probably need some balancing. It is a beta, after all. Amphibious probably shouldn't be sustained by salt water, for example.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:28:31 pm by Niveras »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: March 18, 2011, 04:26:19 pm »

3AV can be the difference between life and death. The way AV vs Penetration works, any loss of AV is nasty. Any penetration past the AV value acts as a multiplier to damage. Thus, 3 AV can be the difference between taking zero damage, or 30.

The evil twin defect should be worth 5 points, though oddly it would just make the defect stronger. It's really fricken nasty.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #994 on: March 18, 2011, 04:29:55 pm »

The evil twin defect should be worth 5 points, though oddly it would just make the defect stronger. It's really fricken nasty.
Especially when your clone has your ability to slice off body parts... Not fun, trust me. At least your clone isn't smart as you in some ways, that does give you a slight advantage.
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: March 18, 2011, 04:36:20 pm »

So, I started a game on the new version, and the zealot in Joppa...attacked Argyve and got slaughtered by him in one turn. I guess it sort of makes sense in that he was hording their oh-so-coveted technology, but I'm guessing it's a bug.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: March 18, 2011, 04:44:40 pm »

Especially when your clone has your ability to slice off body parts... Not fun, trust me. At least your clone isn't smart as you in some ways, that does give you a slight advantage.
Also, some abilities you have, your clone won't/can't use at all, such as beguiling, proselytize, domination. But then its balanced by the fact that its never hostile to the natives of the region, thus you have yourself plus all the mobs fighting you. I can't imagine its viable to take unless the twin dropped a copy of your inventory when you kill it. At that point though it might be way too powerful
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: March 18, 2011, 04:45:54 pm »

So, I started a game on the new version, and the zealot in Joppa...attacked Argyve and got slaughtered by him in one turn. I guess it sort of makes sense in that he was hording their oh-so-coveted technology, but I'm guessing it's a bug.

He does that all the freaking time.  I have no idea what it is, he just starts running around and suddenly twigs to attack Argyve.  He naturally dies immediately, but it's fun to watch, and you can get his book.

I think it's also a bug that you can sometimes hear him shouting verses from several maptiles away.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #998 on: March 18, 2011, 04:49:43 pm »

I think it's also a bug that you can sometimes hear him shouting verses from several maptiles away.
Nah, I don't think it's a bug, he's just telepathic. A telepathic crazy zealot. You will convert. You will convert. You will convert...

Though in all seriousness, yeah, likely a bug.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: March 18, 2011, 04:55:35 pm »

Nah, I don't think it's a bug, he's just telepathic. A telepathic crazy zealot. You will convert. You will convert. You will convert...

Though in all seriousness, yeah, likely a bug.
I always figured it was a defect. Like, Uncontrollable Shouting(10)

A bug that is more annoying then urgent, when in a one square hallway running east/west, your light illuminates the walls to the east two squares but the western squares only to one, so it makes it easy to run into the various wall bound plants. Not especially deadly, but it gets annoying.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: March 18, 2011, 05:26:33 pm »

I always kill the zealot for the 25xp and the book

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: March 18, 2011, 05:38:18 pm »

I always kill the zealot for the 25xp and the book
Ditto. The book is worth quite a bit for that point in the game.

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: March 18, 2011, 05:51:23 pm »

So....I downloaded this because Janet was posting about playing it somewhere else, and I can't get the manual file to open right so I don't know the controls. Any help there? I'll pull out the DF approach (slam face into keyboard, view results) for now, but I'd like to know what I'm doing.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:10 pm »

So....I downloaded this because Janet was posting about playing it somewhere else, and I can't get the manual file to open right so I don't know the controls. Any help there? I'll pull out the DF approach (slam face into keyboard, view results) for now, but I'd like to know what I'm doing.

Don't try to open it directly, just use the help command in the game's main menu. The manual is integrated.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: March 18, 2011, 05:52:23 pm »

Huh, I didn't even bother checking that. Can't be your fault though since I don't see anything either.

Ninja! Die!
Pages: 1 ... 65 66 [67] 68 69 ... 250