Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 543406 times)

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2850 on: May 15, 2015, 09:52:19 am »

Haha, I'm glad I don't have to cultivate a friendly public personality and can freely shoot my mouth off from time to time.  lol@self.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2851 on: May 15, 2015, 09:58:54 am »

I was just not thinking particularly hard about legacy system support when I wrote that code. What shipped was just my initial toy proof of concept that happened to work on the hardware I happened to have in the house. I haven't since spent the energy to get my hands on a set of hardware that fails in that way so that I can refactor the code into something that provably works on older hardware. Mea culpa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I demand that you immediately make this work on my atari 2600!

Just need to bug Unity for an Atari 2600 exporter!

I suspect the Steam version might work properly on this set of older cards, as long as they support shader model 2, but (still) I don't have the hardware to test it.
Well what about my graphing calculator? I tried to launch the game on there and it just shut down the whole calculator!

More seriously though, things like this are why I hesitate to even release my own games. I deal with irate customers enough at work, I don't want people playing my free game telling me how bad I am as a programmer because I didn't support their antiques.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 10:09:02 am by forsaken1111 »

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: May 15, 2015, 10:05:59 am »

More seriously though, things like this are why I hesitate to even release my own games. I deal with irate customers enough at work, I don't want people playing my free game how bad I am as a programmer because I didn't support their antiques.

Net, net it's awesome and worth doing. Actually making and supporting games is a lot of brutal work, but people playing and enjoying your stuff is awesome enough to make it worth it. The haters are always far outnumbered by the chill folk who just like to enjoy the game and have solid, thoughtful feedback. (Though the people just enjoying it are usually not the most vocal clade, even if they are the most numerous.)

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: May 15, 2015, 01:33:10 pm »

I was just not thinking particularly hard about legacy system support when I wrote that code. What shipped was just my initial toy proof of concept that happened to work on the hardware I happened to have in the house. I haven't since spent the energy to get my hands on a set of hardware that fails in that way so that I can refactor the code into something that provably works on older hardware. Mea culpa! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well I demand that you immediately make this work on my atari 2600!

Just need to bug Unity for an Atari 2600 exporter!

I suspect the Steam version might work properly on this set of older cards, as long as they support shader model 2, but (still) I don't have the hardware to test it.
Well what about my graphing calculator? I tried to launch the game on there and it just shut down the whole calculator!
I see a Toady looming in the distance if we continue down this path of conversation. Let's just drop it.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: May 15, 2015, 01:40:31 pm »

Looks like dfTruF and I got it going using software emulation of shader model 2 via https://www.transgaming.com/swiftshader

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #2855 on: May 15, 2015, 01:54:24 pm »

Looks like dfTruF and I got it going using software emulation of shader model 2 via https://www.transgaming.com/swiftshader
Awesome!

I see a Toady looming in the distance if we continue down this path of conversation. Let's just drop it.
Uh, thanks for your contribution I guess.

BluarianKnight

• Bay Watcher
  • Gimme a soul, sailor.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: May 17, 2015, 11:54:20 am »

This is possibly one of my favorite roguelikes so far, barely getting far though..
A beautiful lesbian trans lass, I'll punch ya dork.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: June 06, 2015, 04:56:25 pm »

someone on jefmajors stream said your giving away keys for the game? i played long ago and got to the end and an update sounds really cool.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: June 06, 2015, 04:59:22 pm »

someone on jefmajors stream said your giving away keys for the game? i played long ago and got to the end and an update sounds really cool.

Best way is to follow me on twitter, I give some out, though I haven't for a few weeks. Now that our next stop is Qud on steam (Sproggi went out on iOS+Android May 28th), I'll probably be giving some more out, since we'll want to ramp up testing.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: June 06, 2015, 05:11:02 pm »

Best way is to follow me on twitter, I give some out, though I haven't for a few weeks. Now that our next stop is Qud on steam (Sproggi went out on iOS+Android May 28th), I'll probably be giving some more out, since we'll want to ramp up testing.

Any chance we'll be seeing CoQ on mobiles too? They need more good Roguelikes!
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: June 06, 2015, 05:14:19 pm »

Any chance we'll be seeing CoQ on mobiles too? They need more good Roguelikes!

There's a bunch of challenges with it. It's not strictly impossible, the new Unity-based build would run on iOS and Android in principal, but the UI would need a real re-think and I'd need to do something very dramatic with it's memory use to get it to practically run on most mobile devices. I wouldn't rule it out 100%, but it's got an awful lot of challenges. A newly designed Qud-world game built with mobile in mind would almost be more practical, I think.

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: June 06, 2015, 05:18:46 pm »

when does it go up for sale on steam?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: June 06, 2015, 05:31:03 pm »

when does it go up for sale on steam?

A few weeks, maybe 4-6... but I've been saying that for a few weeks so the answer is just "as soon as we get it ready to release on Steam :)"

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: June 06, 2015, 05:35:33 pm »

but I've been saying that for a few weeks so the answer is just "as soon as we get it ready to release on Steam :)"
Ah, I see you're already in the spirit of Valve Time :P
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: June 07, 2015, 03:21:39 am »

"When it's ready" is never a bad thing, especially with the refund program potentially looming over if game-breaking mistakes are made.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 250