Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 250

Author Topic: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta  (Read 545508 times)

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Caves of Qud: Now in Open Beta
« Reply #2940 on: July 18, 2015, 09:57:08 pm »

From reading some of the comments here over the course of the limited alpha, and also some things on the twitters:  it sounds like tinkers are a viable class now?  Like, you can get XP from things your turrets kill, and you can disassemble your turrets for parts now?  Is that right?

I tried to play a tinker when I first found this game all those years ago, and it was a real struggle.  After many failures, came back with a paladin and cleaned house. 

It seems like ranged builds should be viable, I have not picked up the new version yet but in the old one there were some good skill trees for the various ranged branches that looked like they would be useful in the mid-late game.

...also, fyi, We're planning a skill & tinkering refactor/rebalance that addresses a lot of these long standing issues.

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2941 on: July 18, 2015, 11:14:41 pm »

*Added support for -savepath command line. (i.e. coq.exe -savepath "c:\my data\my qud saves") The directory will be created if it doesn't exist.
*Added support for more OSX & international keyboard keys
*Fixed an exception when reverting a Domination
*Fixed some spiky memory gobbling by flame traps in Golgotha
*Fixed some spiky memory gobbling with electric discharges

MrWillsauce

• Bay Watcher
  • Has an ass that won't quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2942 on: July 18, 2015, 11:59:17 pm »

The way to play a successful tinker is to go with high ego so that you can easily buy out all the scrap bits that the merchants like Argyve have for sale. Once you get a little bit into the game, you can get into a groove of liberally using grenades, and then selling off loot gained from encounters for more than enough scrap to rebuild those grenades. Or get lucky with an energy weapon blueprint. Tinkers are my favorite type of character to play by far, but I'd be interested in seeing them rebalanced.

There is an exploit where you can build tonics from blueprint disks without needing to use their special ingredient.

blazing glory

« Reply #2943 on: July 19, 2015, 12:00:10 am »

So...I'm playing a outdated version 'cause I haven't bought the game (yet), version...1.0.4646.16699 Beta, to be precise, and I just ended up finding a boulder apparently blocking the tile below the stairs, is there any way I can get rid of the thing?

EDIT:Eh, never mind, I dieded, again.

CoQ is merciless.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2015, 12:24:45 am by blazing glory »

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2944 on: July 19, 2015, 12:44:42 am »

So...I'm playing a outdated version 'cause I haven't bought the game (yet), version...1.0.4646.16699 Beta, to be precise, and I just ended up finding a boulder apparently blocking the tile below the stairs, is there any way I can get rid of the thing?

Sounds like you already found one way :)

I can't rightly remember, but I am pretty sure there was a teleport cheat (or level change cheat?) that was put in exactly for that sort of problem.

SharpKris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2945 on: July 19, 2015, 02:24:36 am »

can i assume there's a bigger difference between the free ascii version and the graphic steam version? and if so by how much that it's worth investing 10$ in?

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2946 on: July 19, 2015, 04:34:09 am »

Found a small bug with cybernetics:

If you get the Eigencannon installed in your left arm, there will be an "auto-equip" option for it if you select it on your equipment screen.  Choosing this will cause it to become equipped in your right-hand missile slot (your remaining free one), occupying it (while still occupying your cybernetic slot).  This is irreversible, effectively causing you to lose the missile slot on your remaining hand.

EDIT:  Ah, someone reported this here.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2947 on: July 19, 2015, 07:58:28 pm »

I've read combat in Caves of Qud isn't as detailed as DF combat, but just how detailed is it? Is there a complex wound system? Rich combat interactions? Separate extremities to harm and therefore cause various effects? Wrestling?

DF combat is admittedly too convoluted at times (detail is awesome but the UI is hellish), but that doesn't mean there couldn't be several intermediate steps between that and simply hacking away at an HP counter.

So what's it like in this one?

unormal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2948 on: July 19, 2015, 08:01:22 pm »

[SteamQud July 19 #2, 2015]
*Decreased object creation (and thus zone build) time by around 300% by doing it slightly better than the worst way possible
*Fixed 'throttle animations' option. It wasn't working at all. Turn this on if Qud is melting your laptop into a puddle of lava.
*Improved redrock and rustwell zone creation times by 100% by not doing the slowest part twice for no reason.
*Force disabled compression, disregarding option state, since it makes Unity violently explode at the moment.
*Reduced overall memory use for game objects by about 30%.
*Fixed zone suspension system spamming commands like crazy and keeping references to cached zones.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2949 on: July 19, 2015, 11:05:44 pm »

I've read combat in Caves of Qud isn't as detailed as DF combat...

So what's it like in this one?

Nothing is.  Closest contender is IVAN, and even it isnt.

This has a HP counter and also various status effects.  all equipment is damageable and degradable, but also upgradeable.  various bonuses and penalties interact in complex ways across most aspects of the game, so there is lots of neat stuff to micro manage and optimize if you like that sort of thing.

You have lots to do in combat with various moves and abilities, so you're not just bumping into something until its HP counter goes down.  That said, its just a HP counter without any real anatomy.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #2950 on: July 19, 2015, 11:57:52 pm »

The exception to that is that there are some ways to dismember an enemy, which does have an effect. Cut off an arm and that attack option is gone for the enemy, and so on. Still not the same as DF combat, but it's something.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Greenbane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2951 on: July 20, 2015, 08:42:31 am »

I suppose that is something. Some manner of anatomy is necessary, from my point of view, though simulating tendons and fat is excessive, and being able to target and break a goblin's right foot's fourth toe adds close to nothing to a game.

IVAN's system was quite robust and limb-aware: you could actually get replacements made of various materials, and all the properties that incurs.

The challenge is to produce a sensible, detailed damage model which doesn't go overboard. My suggestion: model limbs (arms, legs, torso and head) and the most vital organs (brain, heart, lungs, and bowels/guts to comprise the digestive system, maybe spine too). Combine that with flavourful descriptions of the various combat interactions and voilá.

From my point of view, the combat system is the core of the roguelike: it's the most frequently used system, and therefore requires great depth to ensure a great longevity.

All that said, I realize I've veered off-topic. The game looks really cool, and I'll be getting it before long. :P
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 08:52:30 am by Greenbane »

Beggars` Sect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2952 on: July 20, 2015, 02:17:33 pm »

So glad Qud lives on...definitely a Major RL for me, when it comes to complexity & gameplay, and writing/atmosphere is on par with best films/books - a thing I can very rarely say about a videogame.

Any more details on DRM Free angle? Is the Humble version gonna be released when the game is finished or during EA? Sincerely hope for the latter.

It`s also great to hear the sales were even bit bigger than Sproggiwood - goes to prove that the traditional roguelikes are not all as toxic and unsellable as some people think. And hopefully will give you some food for thought when considering writing similar game in the future...

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2953 on: July 20, 2015, 05:20:34 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun has reviewed it.  They find it a bit tricky to pick up (though they recognize that this is normal for the genre and that the issue might be that it's just not their thing.)

I think there are a few small things that could help.  One idea in particular:  Make the back-door entrance to the cave passage that leads from Joppa to Red Rock visible, and have the NPCs on the watervine quest point the player to it directly, suggesting that they descend to the river and follow it as a way of solving the quest.  In my experience, going that way is actually a lot easier and safer, especially for people just learning the game; traveling overland is risky and very random.  That way, that passage can be used as a sort of "tutorial" quest that leads the player into the game more gently, with less risk of a sudden out-of-depth monster killing them with no warning.  (There's still some risk -- named snapjaws with powerful abilities sometimes appear in there, and eventually they're going to hit giant crabs and the like -- but in my experience the difficulty curve along that path is among the smoothest in the game, whereas when you start traveling overland you risk much more variance.  It'd be good to use that as a way to give new players a basic introduction to the game before throwing more dangerous things at them.)

If you do that, make sure to have the NPCs warn the player against wandering off the path -- you can encounter fire ants and die very fast if you take a wrong turn.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:45:24 pm by Aquillion »
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #2954 on: July 20, 2015, 05:53:39 pm »

According to this guide the Red Rock quest shouldn't be seen as the newbie/first quest anyway.

Btw, right now the game has 73 reviews of which are 100% positive - quite impressive imo. Usually at this number of reviews there's at least 1 - 3 negative ones.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 05:55:49 pm by rumpel »
Pages: 1 ... 195 196 [197] 198 199 ... 250