Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 393

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2952851 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5580 on: August 24, 2023, 03:09:06 am »

There are good workarounds for everything but the 5 f's I believe: faith, family, friends, Food and... romance.

Pretty sure food is solved. They'll accept high quality meals in place of preferred ingredients. (Units that don't need to eat are still an issue.)

Oh marvelous. I look forward to enjoying that fix soon as the linux port is done.

It’s already in 0.47.05, in case that’s what your using.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5581 on: August 24, 2023, 04:35:50 am »

There are good workarounds for everything but the 5 f's I believe: faith, family, friends, Food and... romance.

Pretty sure food is solved. They'll accept high quality meals in place of preferred ingredients. (Units that don't need to eat are still an issue.)

Oh marvelous. I look forward to enjoying that fix soon as the linux port is done.

It’s already in 0.47.05, in case that’s what your using.

Just to be clear, dwarfs will search out food that they prefer in a certain radius from where they are when they decide to eat (I believe it's 140 tiles in all directions).  They will also prioritize meals with their preferred food over raw ingredients of their preferred food.  I've tested this a lot on bot 0.47.05 and 0.50.

I don't think they *always* select meals over uncooked ingredients if it is not a preferred food.  I occasionally get dwarfs eating lettuce leafs instead of meals.  However, I don't personally consider this a problem.  It's the only way you can get seeds for garden vegetables, for example.  I have not determined what rules their choice here because it does not seem to be proximity to the food (I always assumed that a dwarf will eat the closest food if there is no preferred food, but that doesn't seem to fit my observations).  Honestly, I would like it to be a little more clear what the considerations are so I could game it a bit (gotta have that lettuce!).  Also, if I'm wishing, I'd love it if animals were fed from food that was closest to the animal, not the food that is closest to the dwarf feeding the animal.  I could have stockpiles of alfalfa next to my restrained goats and always feed them with it.  It would be wonderful!  But I digress :-)

Heiz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5582 on: August 24, 2023, 08:11:41 am »

It's been a while now when i started to play dwarf fortress and so i got some questions:
1. Will new quest system be the only feature we will get for adventure mode or there will be something soon in near future?
2. I heard there will be new starting scenarios one day and i thought that probably pretty big thing to add, so i wanted to ask if it will affect adventure mode as well, except that we will be able to find them in world and interact with npcs there? And will new scanerios be similar to fortress scenario or will it they give new mechanics or change them in any way? Will there be scenarios that you didn't mention or the list that we know is probably all scenarios that we will have?
3. After you add adventue mode will our worlds be able to work with it?

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5583 on: August 24, 2023, 08:40:24 am »

Just to be clear, dwarfs will search out food that they prefer in a certain radius from where they are when they decide to eat (I believe it's 140 tiles in all directions).  They will also prioritize meals with their preferred food over raw ingredients of their preferred food.  I've tested this a lot on bot 0.47.05 and 0.50.

I don't think they *always* select meals over uncooked ingredients if it is not a preferred food.  I occasionally get dwarfs eating lettuce leafs instead of meals.  However, I don't personally consider this a problem.  It's the only way you can get seeds for garden vegetables, for example.  I have not determined what rules their choice here because it does not seem to be proximity to the food (I always assumed that a dwarf will eat the closest food if there is no preferred food, but that doesn't seem to fit my observations).  Honestly, I would like it to be a little more clear what the considerations are so I could game it a bit (gotta have that lettuce!).  Also, if I'm wishing, I'd love it if animals were fed from food that was closest to the animal, not the food that is closest to the dwarf feeding the animal.  I could have stockpiles of alfalfa next to my restrained goats and always feed them with it.  It would be wonderful!  But I digress :-)
None of that is actually working. They simply ignore any preferred ingredients in cooked meal. I made a topic about it some time ago:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=181270.msg8448280#msg8448280

And the good thought they get from a quality meal is not the same they get from their preferred ingredient.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2023, 08:42:01 am by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5584 on: August 24, 2023, 07:07:56 pm »

Thanks for that!  Now I have to test that again :-)  I was *sure* it was working!  To be fair, my last fortress had no meals, though... Hmmm...

sofanthiel

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Cod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5585 on: August 25, 2023, 04:26:06 am »

*Unrolls an old-timey papyrus scroll*

Hear ye, hear ye!  I come here on behalf of these threads to ask a few questions in regards to the recent change to the dwarven maturity age, along with other civilized creatures'.  First off, children performing chores such as planting/hauling, thus becoming less useless, is a very welcome addition!  Now, onto the queries:

I. Will we see a more fleshed-out and gradual development process with extra intermediate youth stages in the future (i.e., toddlers --> kids --> adolescents --> adults)?  It is quite odd for a dwarf to play make-believe with their toy boat one day and be recruited into the army the next.

II. If not, are there plans to alter either time progression or aging speed in order to balance out the fact that it takes 18 whole years for a resident to mature, making it harder to have fort-born babies grow up to adulthood, resulting in multi-generational fortresses being even less feasible now?
I forgot my love of rolling down the hill on the lawn.
I never noticed it until it was gone.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5586 on: August 25, 2023, 06:58:32 pm »

About the Steam release of Adv Mode - I wonder if the intention is "just" to do graphics and fix the many UIs, and then release it with pretty much the gameplay of the pre-Steam version - or if the goal is to streamline it some more before release by filling out some the "holes" in the gameplay - such as the impossibility of geting clothes and armor for very large/small animal people?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5587 on: August 27, 2023, 05:20:25 am »

About the Steam release of Adv Mode - I wonder if the intention is "just" to do graphics and fix the many UIs, and then release it with pretty much the gameplay of the pre-Steam version - or if the goal is to streamline it some more before release by filling out some the "holes" in the gameplay - such as the impossibility of geting clothes and armor for very large/small animal people?
Not meant as an answer, but you can make the stuff in a fortress and have your adventurer visit to pick up his change of clothes.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5588 on: August 28, 2023, 06:02:30 pm »

Will myth and magic include an achievable source of perpetual longevity? My fortresses in older versions evenually loose 10 dwarves every year to old age. It's kind of heartbreaking. I understand that death is to be accepted in dwarf fortress, but it should not be a third of a fortress for no reason, causing the player to abandon their history.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5589 on: August 28, 2023, 07:16:12 pm »

Don't abandon your history. That's definitely a recoverable fraction, speaking from experience. Especially since they didn't die of super-ebola-with-necrosis from a forgotten beast like mine just did the other day. A third of the population tracking deadly ooze all over the middle of the fort. Or worse, werebeasts...

I bet it would depend on whether your magic setting, after the myth and magic update, is high enough to make immortality/life extension common in that world. Right now you would normally go about raiding necromancer towers to get books with secrets, but if certain artifact furniture, like a bed adds twenty years to the life expectancy of anyone that sleeps in it, thats going to be much easier to manage than a bunch of anxious booze-deprived necromancers.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5590 on: August 28, 2023, 07:52:43 pm »

Right now you would normally go about raiding necromancer towers to get books with secrets, but if certain artifact furniture, like a bed adds twenty years to the life expectancy of anyone that sleeps in it, thats going to be much easier to manage than a bunch of anxious booze-deprived necromancers.

That’s assuming that Toady One doesn’t replace the current poisoners with proper barkeeps…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5591 on: August 29, 2023, 04:24:59 am »

Not meant as an answer, but you can make the stuff in a fortress and have your adventurer visit to pick up his change of clothes.

Sure, but it's very inconvenient.

I also meant the armor thing as a handwave at all the other stuff that is "missing". Like you can murder and steal freely in towns with no law coming after you, you can get quests to other continents you cannot reach with some races, money is pretty much useless, healing is weird with fast travelling being the only "cure" available and so on. All these things will get fixed superbly at some point yeah, but I guess not for the Steam release.

My thinking is just about the balance of trying to more like meet the general expectation of a wider audience of an action-adventure fantasy game versus the goal of sticking to the overall development plan. I love Adv Mode as it is, but I'm not sure how the wider audience will react when they do stuff that normally is good to do in fantasy games like amassing money and then it's a dead end sort of.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2023, 04:29:47 am by Orange-of-Cthulhu »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5592 on: August 31, 2023, 01:40:50 am »

I would not expect something as complicated as an economic system to be modded in for the adventurer mode release. An economy rewrite would certainly have to involve fortress mode. That said, the whole system of trading objects for other objects directly has grown on me. I would be sad to see it replaced with the standard currency systems from normal RPGs.

Fortress mode saw some small additions and new stuff during the conversion, and was rebalanced in some ways to make it easier and less deadly for new players. I expect adventure mode will get a similar treatment. The manual targeting of limbs etc. in combat/wrestling is somewhat clumsy. I could see how a graphical interface could improve that, but have no clue what is planned for release.

kontako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5593 on: August 31, 2023, 02:47:48 am »

I've set up a dog out the front of my fortress to keep out the pesky kobolds, although I wasn't sure if there was any benefit to choosing a dog above any other creature.

G'day Tarn. I vaguely seem to recall there being a 'smell' sense in adventure mode, and I was wondering if it applied in fortress mode.
Dogs are mentioned to have ...a keen sense of smell, but they look like they lack the SMELL_TRIGGER token. Is it important?
Are dogs in any way better at spotting sneaky intruders than any other animal? The wiki mentioned that hunting dogs have an improved observer skill, though it didn't seem to find it when I looked.

"Confederacy of Businesses"?! By Armok's Blood! These Communist animals are CAPITALISTS!
"This town ain't big enough for the two of us, turkey"
*gobbles menacingly*

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5594 on: August 31, 2023, 06:14:45 am »

The one thing about economy in adventure mode is that money is currently just broken and it wasn't always that way.  I forget exactly when it got broken, but there was a time that you could sell items for coins, buy things with coins and everything would work the way you expect.  It would be nice to fix it at least to the point of being able to use coins freely for everything.

There are also weird rules about stealing things and what it means for something to be stolen.  If I remember correctly, it *does* affect your reputation (though your reputation isn't really used for very much at the moment).  Making that kind of stuff more visible and also making it operate in a way that seems logical would be nice.

Finally, because I play with "thou shalt not steal" house rules, I tend to barter for armor and weapons that soldiers are wearing (giving them the bounty of my bone carvings).  I kind of feel like it would be nice if soldiers wouldn't be quite so accommodating though (walking around naked holding 42 badly carved bone carvings after meeting me).  It would also be nice if the "value" of goods was a bit more random.  I once RP'd a silk trader, buying silk at one side of the map and selling it at the other.  But I could only barter for essentially the exact same value each time, so there was no sense of profit.  Just useless activity.  Even if it were random, it would be a lot more fun.

I should make my way to the suggestions thread :-)  But anyway, I think the point that there are some pretty small tweaks to adventure mode that would make a big improvement is well taken.
Pages: 1 ... 371 372 [373] 374 375 ... 393