Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 3515

Author Topic: AmeriPol thread  (Read 3638824 times)

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
Re: AmeriPol: new thread subtitle pending
« Reply #19755 on: May 11, 2018, 02:18:01 pm »

So if Netanyahu is claiming that Israel has the policy of "Whoever hurts us — we will hurt them sevenfold.", and Israel claims to have attacked 35 sites, does that mean that Iran attacked 5 Israeli installations?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #19756 on: May 11, 2018, 02:23:35 pm »

So if Netanyahu is claiming that Israel has the policy of "Whoever hurts us — we will hurt them sevenfold.", and Israel claims to have attacked 35 sites, does that mean that Iran attacked 5 Israeli installations?
Iran (or groups backed by Iran, Isreal says Iran but it could be a proxy) fired 20 missiles at Golam, but all of them were intercepted and destroyed before hitting anything.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19757 on: May 11, 2018, 02:32:40 pm »

Yeah I think the Israelis claimed 3-5 shot down and the rest fell so short they didn’t bother
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19758 on: May 11, 2018, 02:35:08 pm »

Whoops, misread it then. Still, no damage was done and the escalation point stands.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19759 on: May 11, 2018, 03:03:37 pm »

I mean, if someone launched missiles at California, would our response really be "they didn't actually hit us, so let's not fire back"?

I feel like we would probably do the same thing, except we probably would have killed a few hundred civilians with our drones at the same time.

EDIT:
Also, just checking, are there any military targets in Golan Heights? That's apparently what Syria was targeting with their last failed missile strike.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:19:35 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19760 on: May 11, 2018, 03:22:53 pm »

Golan Heights were originally captured because of their strategic importance. There are definitely military installations there.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19761 on: May 11, 2018, 03:36:33 pm »

Oh yeah turns out i can use that google thing to just ask. There are whole army bases and the like.

Anyway yeah, looks like the Israeli's are basically saying syria escalated first, whereas Iran says that responding to Syria's missile strikes is a "violation of their sovereignty". It's everyone else's fault no matter who you ask, essentially.

Also, 70+ targets are being reported now.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:38:05 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19762 on: May 11, 2018, 03:48:03 pm »

I mean, if someone launched missiles at California, would our response really be "they didn't actually hit us, so let's not fire back"?

I feel like we would probably do the same thing, except we probably would have killed a few hundred civilians with our drones at the same time.

EDIT:
Also, just checking, are there any military targets in Golan Heights? That's apparently what Syria was targeting with their last failed missile strike.
I'm not saying Isreal, or anyone really, shouldn't fire back. But responses should be proportional, rather than going for overkill.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19763 on: May 11, 2018, 04:58:09 pm »

Yeah, but, what is proportional to nigh-constant hostilities for 50+ years culminating in a regime that fires missiles over the border after a recent chemical attack on their own populace?

It looks like they've right about completely neutralized their ability to support conflict of any kind. That sounds... not really disproportional.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19764 on: May 11, 2018, 05:26:47 pm »

I just wanted to see if Ben's math was up to snuff.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19765 on: May 12, 2018, 10:26:36 am »

Interestingly, Russia does not seem to be condemning the Israeli strike.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #19766 on: May 12, 2018, 10:56:44 am »

Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia has sworn to start their own nuclear weapons program if Iran restarts theirs.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19767 on: May 12, 2018, 11:19:19 am »

So we canceled our nuclear deal, Israel wigs out, and now we could end up invading another middle eastern country for WMDs! Everyone loves that when it happens.

At least this time they are considering building them, maybe! We don't know yet.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19768 on: May 12, 2018, 11:36:43 am »

The strike came a couple days after Netanyahu's visit to Moscow. It stands to reason that wasn't there only to attend the military parade, and everything was agreed on with uncle Putin.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19769 on: May 12, 2018, 12:08:16 pm »

The strike came a couple days after Netanyahu's visit to Moscow. It stands to reason that wasn't there only to attend the military parade, and everything was agreed on with uncle Putin.

Some articles are indeed saying that Russia was pre-advised, and that Russia then forewarned Iran, who then sat there and did nothing, I guess?
Pages: 1 ... 1316 1317 [1318] 1319 1320 ... 3515