Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Eastern Scaesia  (Read 1565 times)

The Ensorceler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Eastern Scaesia
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2019, 12:43:44 am »

While I *do* want legs, I'm less than enthused by the Goblin and don't actually care about human-scale suit mechs at all. I therefore consider the Ajax the most reasonable predecessor to a walking fortress despite being the only non-legged proposal. I'm sure we can do more with legs once we've got better than the Goblin's jank to leggify.
Quote from: GearBox
SHIV-HAWK: (4) MoP, m1895, Funk, Jilladilla
Ajax: (4)  Vostok, Funk, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler
M1926: (4) Vostok, MoP, m1895, The Ensorceler

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2019, 01:14:13 am »

Quote from: GearBox
SHIV-HAWK: (4) MoP, m1895, Funk, Jilladilla
Ajax: (4)  Vostok, Funk, Jilladilla, The Ensorceler
M1926: (3) MoP, m1895, The Ensorceler

Wozzy

• Bay Watcher
  • Do you like waffles?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2019, 02:13:54 pm »

Quote from: SHIV-26 "HAWK"
The SuperHeavy Infantry Vehicle - Heavily Armored Walker Kit is a bulky humanoid shape based off of diving suits of the era. A heavily protected engine on the back (protected even moreso than the user) allows the suit's bevy of gears, pneumatic pistons, and chains to function in accordance with the user's direction from within the suit. Being larger than a human being (as one is supposed to fit inside of it), the "hands" of the suit are manipulated by a series of triggers on a grip bar within the arm, while pedals in the lower legs actuate a variety of mechanisms that control the ability to walk, where lifting the foot reduces pressure on the pedal, which in turn reduces pressure in the knee pistons and allows it to be bent. The SHIV-HAWK is fully self-supporting, meaning no weight is distributed onto or through the person within.

The metal spherical helmet has a plate of bullet-resistant glass covering a front-facing viewing hole which can be covered by a protective metal mask that can be secured in an Up or Down position.

Two exhaust pipes extend from the shoulder blades of the suit to divert heat and fumes out of and away from the suit.

The suit is meant to be slow and heavily armored, designed to march through and withstand the hail of gunfire and shrapnel that defined the last war.
SHIV-26 "HAWK"
Difficulty: Hard
Roll: 2+4+1-1 = 6 (Average)
The design went as expected, for the most part. Functionally, it is quite reliable, from the compact engine to the plethora of gears and hydrolics. There have been concerns of external damage breaking the locking mechanism, trapping the occupant within, but this is just a theory.
There was a small mix-up during developement however. The armor, as it was, could withstand small arms fire and absorb the damage from most carbines, but a few additional plate could be added to the body, deflecting larger caliber rounds. Somewhere along the lines, the paperwork to add these additional parts to the design got lost, and so the armor was developed without them.
While the material and willing operators are there, the compact nature of the engine and mechanisms means production takes a while, resulting in a Very Expensive cost.

Quote from: Ajax armored fighting vehicle
Work on this vehicle started one Monday afternoon as a back-of-a-napkin side project when the engineers at Talos Corporation felt a tremendous disturbance, as if millions of motor pool mechanics suddenly cried out in terror, before suddenly being silenced. Shuddering collectively at the thought of somebody putting maintenance-heavy and breakdown-prone legs on an armored vehicle, they set out immediately to throw together a tank design proposal to make the horrifying idea go away. This collective effort caught the attention of the CEO, Luke S. Walker, and became a full-fledged project soon after.

The resulting Ajax AFV was a 30-ton vehicle with a turreted 75mm gun, three machine guns (two coaxial and one bow-mounted) and heavy frontal armor. The diesel engine, a hilariously robust monster of a thing, was designed for reliability over weight or speed, as was the powertrain. Clocking in at slightly faster than a sprinting man, the Ajax is hardly a speed demon, but there's not much you can do to make it stop moving. The tank moves on simple, reliable, and easy to repair caterpillar tracks that spread weight evenly across terrain instead of concentrating it on a handful of points, allowing it to better traverse hostile terrain without getting bogged down compared to other methods of propulsion.
Ajax Armored Fighting Vehicle
Difficulty: Normal
1+2+2 = 5 (Below Average)
Walking tanks? Who ever heard of such a ridiculous idea. No, what we need are BIG tanks.
Boasting a much bulkier size than the ATT, as well as a more reliable engine, the Ajax is an incredible machine, clocking in at 25mph despite weighing 30 tons. Dense plating on the front makes it a formidable opponents, while a 75mm gun and 3 additional machine guns make it an offensive powerhouse. The engine is quite reliable, mostly because the developers said size is not an issue. Unfortunately, they didn't think of what the crew thought about it.
Even with ventilation, the cramped quarters stay at a toasty 120°F. Combined with fumes and the occasional leak of lubricants, the soldiers who tested the Ajax out called it a 'deathtrap'. In an effort to reduce the likelyhood of death from heat, suffocation, or fire, the engine received some small modifications. The end result was lower top speed, sluggish acceleration, and a few points of vulnerability. The manual suggests making sure bullets don't hit the rear where the engine is housed.
The Ajax AFV is considered [Very Expensive]

It is now the revision phase! You have two revisions available to you. In addition to that, you have a bonus revision that can be used to modify your uniform and make them more to your liking. In addition to your capital, and faction name, you are now tasked with setting the atmosphere of your capital city. Be aware, this is still part of the lore contest, so creativity will be taken into consideration!
Spoiler: Armory (click to show/hide)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2019, 06:11:22 pm »

Revision for SHIV-26 "HAWK"
Focus on makeing the mechanisms simpler and the armour lighter, we directly attach a machine gun to one arm and a large shield to the other.

Ajax Armored Fighting Vehicle
install a large fan?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Vostok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2019, 06:47:46 pm »

Machine gun, maybe. Not sold on the shield though. Machine gun and some sort of a grenade launcher if we can cook one up?

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2019, 07:03:33 pm »

I don't want to make the SHIV-HAWK's armor lighter, its rated for rifle caliber bullets at the moment, if we make it lighter we're still sacrificing mobility, but now with little benefit as it'd no longer be practically bulletproof. The shield is a good idea though. Still, overall I rate the SHIV-HAWK as good; I'm content with it.

For the Ajax, we could turn it into a self-propelled artillery piece, you know, rip open the top armor, mount the gun into the hull, let it elevate a lot more than normal. Wouldn't solve any of the tank's issues due to making a variant and not an improved version, but it would be useful, no?
But back to the tank, a large fan has the issue of being a weak-point in the armor... Which is a bit of a problem. Hmm... Not a lot of things that wouldn't do that though... Large side/top mounted water tanks maybe? Basically just have them boil off the excess heat of the engine while contributing a bit more to the armor of the tank vs proper anti-tank weaponry? (Or I guess include a more robust pump system so it isn't just a glorified heat sink?)

Other ideas: revise one of our generic vehicle mounted machine guns into a variant for our infantry to carry around? Probably couldn't get a LMG out of it, but MMG or HMG is plausible.
Revise our Zeppelin so it can bomb? Our guns to be better? Something minor we might be able to make with a revision?

Lots of options, not enough things sadly..

PRE-POST EDIT: I don't think we can cook up a grenade launcher with a revision, Vostok. Mostly as we don't even have grenades yet. And hilariously my opinion on the attached Machinegun/Shield for the SHIV-HAWK is the reverse of you.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2019, 07:39:39 pm »

I don't think we want lighter armor on the HAWK itself when it's already only really useful against smaller-caliber rounds. We also don't have a worthwhile machine gun. At best I assume our aircraft has something similar to or slightly worse than a Vickers. We should dedicate a design to a solid machine gun for use across the board instead of revising one into every individual piece of equipment. Here's what I think we should do with our revisions (note this was being written after Vostok's post suggesting cooking up a GL for reference, since I have apparently been ninja's to a degree):

--
Industrial Assembly Line Overhaul
Current military equipment often hits bottlenecks in regard to the manufacture of the mechanisms required to actually make the things work. By taking a page out of the Ford guy in America we've updated our industrial centers to utilize assembly lines in an effort to increase output across the board. For the time being efforts are focused on the SHIV-26 HAWK as well as the Ajax AFV - it is vehicles that that American proved the efficiency of the assembly line with anyways. While we are not overhauling our entire industrial complex, we do plan on applying the assembly line to future equipment should our test of the production system work well enough.
--

--
75mm Field Howitzer
We've taken the gun from the Ajax and thrown it onto a carriage that can be towed by vehicle or horses. Muzzle velocity is reduced to better facilitate indirect and plunging fire, turning the cannon from a field gun into an effective artillery piece. High Explosive, Fragmentation, and Smoke munitions are used based on the requirements of the units being supported.
--
or, if we want to add utility to a SHIV-26 variant instead of a vanilla artillery piece...
--
SHIV-26ART "MAGE"
The Mechanized Artillery Gun Equipment takes the 75mm from the Ajax, reduces muzzle velocity of the rounds used in order to facilitate indirect fire support, and mounts it on the shoulder of a SHIV-26 that's stripped of all armor but the front and side that the gun is mounted on. Reinforcement is added to the supporting structure as required in order to hold the weight of the gun as well as handle the recoil. A crew is still required to load the gun, but aiming and firing can be done from within the mech. This allows higher mobility with the weapon, reducing effectiveness of counter-artillery as well as allowing repositioning for new fire solutions as required. Hand and footholds bolted onto the mech allow the gun crew to ride along as well.
--

The Assembly Line may be within the realm of a revision, but I understand if some people are a tad wary about what it proposes to do. Ultimately though it aims to slightly cheapen our designs when it comes to the physical, mechanical manufacturing process. I don't intend for it to do more than tilt things in our favor if the cost is close to the line between expense levels.

I personally like the idea of a thicc shield on a frontline mech, especially since it reduces the requirement for hefty armoring more than what we already have. If we get a good mg next turn we could definitely make a solid fighting mech. Add in a honkin' large transport landship and we've got some good things going.

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2019, 08:54:08 am »

Ajax Self Propelled Artillery
The Ajax's engine is potentially a problem with the amount of heat it emits. Many proposals to address this have been suggested, and one, which more or less consisted of 'just remove the top armor from the engine to let it air out better', has been taken to quite frankly some excessive lengths with how it developed.

The Ajax SPA is a result of the development of said proposal, and would be the second in the Ajax family of fighting vehicles. Quite simply to start, the Ajax SPA completely removes not only the top armor of the tank exposing its internals to the skies, but the turret entirely, as well as two of the machine guns. The main gun (modified slightly to make it more suitable to the role of artillery) is moved to a mount on the hull, with capabilities for much higher elevation than its predecessor's turret. The side and rear armor is thinned greatly, enough to provide protection against small arms and heavy machine guns, but not enough to protect against serious anti-tank weaponry. The front armor however, remains just as formidable, rendering it a challenge to any foe forced to fight against it in a head-to-head scenario and making direct fire missions not suicidal for this still massive vehicle.

Overall, between the improved engine and crew ventilation, a fire extinguisher, and a solid physical barrier between the crew area and the engine, it is hoped that the Ajax SPA is capable of utilizing the original engine of the Ajax AFV, although despite the lighter weight of the SPA, due to the nature of said engine we don't expect much improvement in max speed beyond the AFV's original parameters.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me
Pages: 1 [2]