Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 342

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page  (Read 1567047 times)

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress: The Development Page
« Reply #4230 on: April 04, 2011, 04:13:14 pm »

The variability thing is a myth to. Almost everything smart enough to have a civilization would be just as adaptable and varied.

The actual real specialities of humans, the things we evolved to do better than other animals, are endurance running and politics.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4231 on: April 04, 2011, 04:19:15 pm »

We actually do variety better then the other races as it is and it really shows.

The fact that humans build cities in WAAAY more locations then any other race gives them a huge advantage.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4232 on: April 04, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

Well, right now humans are the best at killing trees. That counts for something, right?

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4233 on: April 04, 2011, 05:13:23 pm »

Humans will be the best at casting Magic Missile when that arc arrives, won't they?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4234 on: April 04, 2011, 05:31:06 pm »

The variability thing is a myth to. Almost everything smart enough to have a civilization would be just as adaptable and varied.
This would be true in a realistic or science fiction setting, where civilized races can all be presumed to have evolved.  But it's a pretty common trope in fantasy settings for humans to be uniquely dynamic and adaptable, with elves and dwarves and the like sticking to static cultures taught to them by their creators.  At the very least, long/indefinite lifespans would be sure to make a species relatively conservative. 

Besides, if you really want to rely on evolutionary explanations you're gonna have to contend with how wildly improbable it would be for four separate intelligent species (with at least three sharing roughly the same ecological niche) to develop in the same area.

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4235 on: April 04, 2011, 06:02:49 pm »

lolz casting magic missile at the darkness...hopefully hitting boogymen

ok if not farming, pasturing...because they are taller and therefore more imposing to animals, and easier to herd, though how this would work i have no idea, maybe quicker, more effective breeding, milking, shearing.  but yeah i didnt mean to write up a suggestion in here, i was tired and it seemed like it was connected to the current conversation. but maybe i was asking if tarn, or someone else had thought of this idea before, since theres been talk of multi-tile trees, and new structures, and that were in the caravan arc now would be a good time for more variability in the nations

yeah my mind wanders and i voice the thoughts

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4236 on: April 04, 2011, 06:12:52 pm »

Modern humans and Neanderthals once coexisted in the same place simultaneously. It's not very improbably at all if they are somewhat closely related. At least dwarves, elves and humans seem like they'd have a rather recent common ancestor.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jeoshua

• Bay Watcher
  • God help me, I think I may be addicted to modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4237 on: April 04, 2011, 06:30:37 pm »

imo the unique characteristic of humans shouldn't be a single thing like farming or trade, but rather variability.  I'd love it if, in contrast to the relatively consistent dwarven, elven civilizations, every world generation resulted in half dozen wildly varying human cultures with randomly or semi-randomly generated ethics, personal appearances, town styles, primary economies, clothing and military strategies.

This is a golden idea, and one I've thought of many times.  I've started modding in other human races, using entity files from mods like Genesis and changing their names.

I'm thinking of making a bunch of different entity files, one for every civ of humans I'd like on the planet, and then giving them all [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1].  They'd be randomly placed and named, and if I used [CREATURE:HUMAN] for all of them, I think I might be able to make different cultures. I would be nice if they could be randomized, but I find that a few well placed PERSONAL_MATTER ethics get the hair of the other "races" up well enough to cause some intrugue as it is.
I like fortresses because they are still underground.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #4238 on: April 04, 2011, 07:37:33 pm »

imo the unique characteristic of humans shouldn't be a single thing like farming or trade, but rather variability.  I'd love it if, in contrast to the relatively consistent dwarven, elven civilizations, every world generation resulted in half dozen wildly varying human cultures with randomly or semi-randomly generated ethics, personal appearances, town styles, primary economies, clothing and military strategies.

This is a golden idea, and one I've thought of many times.  I've started modding in other human races, using entity files from mods like Genesis and changing their names.

I'm thinking of making a bunch of different entity files, one for every civ of humans I'd like on the planet, and then giving them all [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1].  They'd be randomly placed and named, and if I used [CREATURE:HUMAN] for all of them, I think I might be able to make different cultures. I would be nice if they could be randomized, but I find that a few well placed PERSONAL_MATTER ethics get the hair of the other "races" up well enough to cause some intrugue as it is.
I was thinking the same thing recently, but then I realized that as well as that would work in world-gen and adventure mode, in fortress mode you would be totally swamped with humans.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4239 on: April 04, 2011, 09:11:26 pm »

Toady's got pics of the city up!

And by Armok, they're ENORMOUS! I'm looking forward to doing some exploration.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4240 on: April 04, 2011, 09:18:40 pm »

Toasy, will we be having cities that extend beyond the walls? or cities without walls?

It seems a bit strange that all cities would have walls that exactly match up with the city boundaries.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #4241 on: April 04, 2011, 09:34:29 pm »

My only response is "Oh wow..." *mental drool*
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4242 on: April 04, 2011, 09:36:46 pm »

my response is also "Ankh Morpork!"

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4243 on: April 04, 2011, 10:07:28 pm »

It occurs to me that cities may be large enough to get lost in- lost enough to require directions when you are looking for a specific type of shop/market. I hope that functionality makes it in soon.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4244 on: April 04, 2011, 10:12:20 pm »

Toasy, will we be having cities that extend beyond the walls? or cities without walls?

It seems a bit strange that all cities would have walls that exactly match up with the city boundaries.

It would be pretty weird if he un-implemented all the sprawl stuff, so probably yeah.

It occurs to me that cities may be large enough to get lost in- lost enough to require directions when you are looking for a specific type of shop/market. I hope that functionality makes it in soon.

It was a dev goal at one point, at least:

# Req471, ASKING DIRECTIONS, (Future): You should be able to ask directions more robustly in adventure mode. They should be able to give you directions and location descriptions. You should be able to ask about general or specific items or trades, and various other things. Different creatures might have a broader knowledge of more areas depending on various factors.
Pages: 1 ... 281 282 [283] 284 285 ... 342