Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Water clocks, computers, and automation  (Read 4298 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water clocks, computers, and automation
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2007, 06:35:00 pm »

Ah, the early age of computers, when they did actually take up a whole HUGE room.  I love reminiscing about my youth.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

Here's one I haven't seen before;
code:

X Stone
\ Lever
D Door
. Floor

XXXXXXX.XXXXXXX
XXXXX\X.XXXXXXX
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
X\DDDDDDDDDDD\X
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
XXDDDDDDDDDDD\X
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
XXDDDDDDDDDDDXX
X/......DDDDDXX
XXDDDDD.DDDDDXX
XXXXXXX.XX\XXXX
XXXXXXX.XXXXXXX

What happens is, an adventurer enters a narrow coridor and finds at the end, a lever. Pulling it causes the coridor to seal up and reopen, now in a diferent configuration. This repeats several times, each time opening a passage leading to a new lever. Finaly, the last lever opens a passage onward, deeper into the fortress.

This would require several sets of 'memory' to store the posision of each door and a way to set or reset each bank, as well as a way to toggle from the active bank to another. A more complex system could have several treasure rooms facing the door grid, with a different set of lever combinations needed to access each room. These combos could be hidden in the fortress using detailing, mining, and construction. Or, a timer / counter could keep track of the day or season and open passageways on a certain day or time. What do you guys think?

A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2007, 08:11:00 pm »

This thread reminds me of this machine:
http://woodgears.ca/marbleadd/

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2007, 09:19:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by PTTG??:
<STRONG>Here's one I haven't seen before;

...Many doors stuff...

What do you guys think?</STRONG>

I don't know, the same thing could be done but with much less doors. Unless you are thinking more of a system where the same switch/lever might generate different corridors depending on what was opened and closed before. That might blow the mind of adventurers, which would be awesome.

[ October 26, 2007: Message edited by: Zemat ]

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

nagromo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2007, 09:35:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Novocain:
<STRONG>I'd like to see a fortress capable of playing Connect Four against adventurers, with its own AI.

In fact, I might do just that.</STRONG>

And if you lose, it locks the room and floods itself, then after a timer, it resets. Future adventurers can return and try again!

I would have used magma, but it can't clean up the obsidian by itself.

I really like the mechanical fortress for adventurers! That's about the most "practical" use for computers I can think of. Instead of having the reconfigurable room, though, make the entire fortress wired to reconfigure itself! Have secret treasure rooms that open when you pull the right levers. Is it possible to use custom text in a fortress? I don't think it is, unless you put the text in the name of a Legendary engraver. It should be possible to put custom inscriptions in walls!

Felix the Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2007, 01:03:00 am »

For those who want actual useful things to do with computers/counters/clocks...

Alarm bells, gongs, horns, and other long-distance dwarf signaling devices have been suggested on numerous occasions. If they were added and made very generic in terms of what actions could be added to them, and they could be triggered via mechanisms, we'd have a whole new world of automated dwarf management to explore. You could automate your entire farming system using a couple of different bells, some floodgates, and a clock.

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2007, 02:52:00 pm »

Basic design for a power plant for mechanical implementation (Note that since I don't know what the Axel/etc. GFX are, I'm going to have to use my own.)

code:
Top Floor
SSSS
S~~S
SSSS

X Number of floors
SSSS
S OS
SSSS

Bottom Floor
SSSS
SWPS
SSSS
S - Stone Wall
P - Screw Pump
W - Waterwheel
O - Vertical Pipe Section
~ - Water

Basically, the waterwheel power the screw pump, which pumps water up onto the waterwheel, which then powers the pump...

By combining multiple waterwheels & pumps, you can set up a power plant of sorts that runs itself and provide mechanical power for whatever you need.  Of course, this design may not work in the next version as-is, but for the most part it should work.  Myself, I would think that perhaps 3 waterwheels anda  lot of screw pumps would be able to run a *lot* of other waterwheels, these wheels then being able to power whatever you want in your fortress.

And on another note, if axels are made of wodd, how are we supposed to power screw pumps that are in magma..?

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2007, 03:46:00 pm »

Axles arn't used in screw pumps themselves, they're used to power it. The screw and screw casing are made of steel, while the wood attaches to the screw and never really gets close enough to the lava to burn.
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2007, 05:13:00 pm »

I was thinking of a "step on the correct pressure pad" and each choice changes all of them in a logical way. just like tha legend of zelda ocarina of time treasure game, but without the lens cheating.
make it 6 rooms long, and flood if you are wrong, and the doors have a setting mechanism that is also a one-way door set.
Eh?
Eh!

Sukasa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2007, 07:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Mechanoid:
<STRONG>Axles arn't used in screw pumps themselves, they're used to power it. The screw and screw casing are made of steel, while the wood attaches to the screw and never really gets close enough to the lava to burn.</STRONG>

So...  Going by that, can screw pumps only be placed along the shores of liquids?  Just clarifying a bit, since what I was asking was "IF the axel connects to the pump, then wouldn't the wood, if the screw was in the middle of a pool of magma, burn upon contact with the magma or heated screw pump?"

<@TRS[DF]> I'll drive this place into the ground faster than Boatmurdered

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2007, 12:12:00 am »

Anywhere in the liquid, I think. It would need to be on the shore not to burn.

Necro

• Bay Watcher
  • ...trunk with her iron battlaxe, bruising the fat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2007, 03:25:00 am »

When it comes to mathematics and seeing "the big picture" in things, I'm like an orangutang. This I found interesting, though:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antikythera_mechanism

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2007, 04:22:00 am »

Some people are colour blind, I'm formula blind. For some reason I can't seem to think with formulae. In the worst cases you can point me to the problem and the correct formula to apply and I still can't see how to do it until you point to which value to insert where in the formula. It spills over into algorithm creation and especially into recursion, which I for some reason just can't manage.

It's a very odd and debiliating mental handicap and it prevents me from being a very good nerd, which is a great cause of dissatisfaction for me.

And this is to explain why I leave off at the concept stage a lot of times.  :(

I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.
Pages: 1 2 [3]