Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 238362 times)

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #855 on: January 30, 2018, 10:53:24 am »

Why not sign up for an adventurer then? We'll need a lot of them !
Also it's completely cool, the general rule is no pressure. I prefer people enjoying the thread, even without doing much, than forcing it and ending up being frustrated. It's all for fun

JCdestr0yer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: January 30, 2018, 11:27:01 am »

Could we ask for certain things the characters who live in the castle? As Ser would like more books to preserve for the future.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #857 on: January 30, 2018, 11:37:07 am »

Could we ask for certain things the characters who live in the castle? As Ser would like more books to preserve for the future.

Always, of course ! Ask away

“I’m glad you’re happy. Your father and I are very proud of you.”

With the great number of people, both from Mong Kima and Osme Stobûb having drown in the swamp, it became a common belief that a part of them would remain trapped in the stagnant waters that surround the village. Valiant souls would grow into beautiful river flowers, while cowardly ones would become fishes and feed the livings. For that reason, when waterlily bloom in midspring, it is believed a gateway between the world of the living and the world of the dead is opened for a short time. Wearing waterlily flowers is a way pearlites have to carry on the souls of the departed with oneself, until the flower's fragrance vanishes and the dead returns to its sleep. Offering one is likewise seen as a heartfelt gift.

To the south of Watershield, a green bridge crosses the uneven river. The waters are dangerous and one can easily sink where they would believe to be able to walk.

This bridge is said to be haunted, as strange noises come from its fundations. Crossing it in silence is advised to the traveller, as so not to disturb the creatures that inhabit this strange place, for the bridge who links the two sides of the enchanted swamp might very well also be a link between worlds.

Often, Donu, now the town's shaman, would go to the river and talk to that bridge, apparently lost in conversation, then return to the village hours later, smiling. What is she discussing with the invisible creatures of the river, none dared to ask her so far.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2018, 04:25:23 pm by Cathar »

Sarrak

• Bay Watcher
  • Venit leger cerebrum amissa
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: January 31, 2018, 05:02:22 pm »

I pity I was unable to follow last updates concluding current story. There also go several ideas I wanted to write or suggest but had (and still have) no time for. Welp, life happens  :D

I hope Satheth would lead a satisfying life afterwards, still following his goal to protect the realm of men from the ever-encroaching threats.

Also, awesome Luki! Glad to see more of her in new style... Speaking of which - how about Onget in new style? I fancy our resident goblin (theoretical!) doctor quite a lot
Science is always important. But it needs more flaming cats. Can't we build bridge-based catapults and fling flaming cats at the dust and goo?

It's time for the ATHATH Death Counter to increase once more in celebration for the end of the world.

Zefermcdwarfpants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: January 31, 2018, 05:22:47 pm »

Always, of course ! Ask away

“I’m glad you’re happy. Your father and I are very proud of you.”

With the great number of people, both from Mong Kima and Osme Stobûb having drown in the swamp, it became a common belief that a part of them would remain trapped in the stagnant waters that surround the village. Valiant souls would grow into beautiful river flowers, while cowardly ones would become fishes and feed the livings. For that reason, when waterlily bloom in midspring, it is believed a gateway between the world of the living and the world of the dead is opened for a short time. Wearing waterlily flowers is a way pearlites have to carry on the souls of the departed with oneself, until the flower's fragrance vanishes and the dead returns to its sleep. Offering one is likewise seen as a heartfelt gift.

To the south of Watershield, a green bridge crosses the uneven river. The waters are dangerous and one can easily sink where they would believe to be able to walk.

This bridge is said to be haunted, as strange noises come from its fundations. Crossing it in silence is advised to the traveller, as so not to disturb the creatures that inhabit this strange place, for the bridge who links the two sides of the enchanted swamp might very well also be a link between worlds.

Often, Donu, now the town's shaman, would go to the river and talk to that bridge, apparently lost in conversation, then return to the village hours later, smiling. What is she discussing with the invisible creatures of the river, none dared to ask her so far.

>Zefer's bride to be walks into the river to talk to Lillypads and water flowers.

I have a VERY haunting feeling about this later in the future.
"Men! On my count!"
"Wait!" A waitress comes running out from the kitchen. "He is the new leader!"
"Why should we believe you?"
The waitress picks up the plate of waffles, and hands it to the man.
"The flag is in the waffles."
"Oh. That works then." Zefer becoming Leader of IHOP

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #860 on: February 01, 2018, 10:07:57 am »

I pity I was unable to follow last updates concluding current story. There also go several ideas I wanted to write or suggest but had (and still have) no time for. Welp, life happens  :D

I hope Satheth would lead a satisfying life afterwards, still following his goal to protect the realm of men from the ever-encroaching threats.

Also, awesome Luki! Glad to see more of her in new style... Speaking of which - how about Onget in new style? I fancy our resident goblin (theoretical!) doctor quite a lot

Don't worry, real life always comes first ! Also yeah, I have the feeling that each step we take to secure ourselves from one threat exposes us to a dozen of bigger ones. The elves of Wulemaapasi seems a very light threat at this point of the game...
About Onget, I'll draw her in that new line style when I'm done with the event I want to cover, before closing the fort, no worry ! It'll be a good opportunity to draw her among her students

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: February 01, 2018, 10:16:07 am »

I'm Irish, and I speak Irish a lot, and I pronounce your name "Cahar", due to automatic instincts that come up after you speak Irish a lot, is that right? Am I wrong? Is there bread?
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: February 01, 2018, 10:23:24 am »

No no no its definitely 'Ts-a-t(h)-a-r'.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #863 on: February 01, 2018, 10:26:30 am »

Oh no, you'd have to pronounce it "Katar", it's french/occitan, the H is often completely mute but the T rarely is (except in the end of words sometimes, like "Onget" would be pronounced "Onjay" in french). We should probably find a way to standardize prononciation for our little country, that would be a fun thing to do (we'd need an alphabet too but I have so little time D:)
Cathar were antipapal rebel knights in south france. Really great guys, gave equal rights to women in priesthood and in nobility, and were very fond of commerce. Because of disputes with Roman papacy, they were excomunicated and wiped out by nothern french knights. "Kill them all, God will know its own" is a quote who comes from that event

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: February 01, 2018, 10:41:19 am »

In Irish, BH and MH both become V, so Mo bhia, my food, is pronounced mu via. What I'm thinking of is because TH in Irish becomes just H, and since saying Cathar sounds... Off, I've always pronounced it Cahar. I think I've heard of the Cathar order, though, I don't know where though...
I could make an alphabet, I've dabbled occasionally in language-making. If I do, though, would you like an alphabet similar to Medieval runes, since that might make sense given how they were easier to teach since they didn't need paper. Something similar to the Phonecian alphabet might be cool, since it looks unintelligable. Or something entirely new.
Damn it, I went on a rant again.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #865 on: February 01, 2018, 11:04:02 am »

Well, we do have paper, but an alphabet who could be used to engrave the weapon's name on their blades would be the paramount of excellent. I tend to consider artefact weapons (and items, but as humans we don't have those) as "somewhat" magical, and having runes on them would be so very cool. 
I don't want to put you to work or anything, but if you want to undergo this task I'll be sure to make it into good use ! Also when I have more time I'll draw something for you as a payment, if you so desire.

Also for the rant, it's cool, we're near to close, we can discuss a bit, it gives me ideas for the next chapter. Also I want to develop pearlite culture, and having bits of celtic-ish culture on them would be pretty nice

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: February 01, 2018, 11:50:00 am »

goes to work making an alphabet
I've always been interested in runic alphabets,and I've always wanted to make my own alphabet.
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #867 on: February 01, 2018, 12:16:49 pm »

I'll sign up for adventuring.

Is it supposed to be someone directly related to the fortress (can't be from the fort itself, of course, but from the same civ at least), or is it going to be a separate side-plot that may tie in with the fortress later?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #868 on: February 01, 2018, 12:56:33 pm »

I'll sign up for adventuring.

Is it supposed to be someone directly related to the fortress (can't be from the fort itself, of course, but from the same civ at least), or is it going to be a separate side-plot that may tie in with the fortress later?

Sure thing ! I still have some...three-four pictures to make before I can close the fort, and then I'll open up the new chapter. I'm super sorry it takes a lot of time. If everything goes my way, it should be open next week
Also, for the adventurer, it doesnt have to be from the fort at all. I'd prefer the adventurers to be from Mong Kima, but if someone wants to play as an elf or a dwarf or even a goblin (there are natively good goblins from Bomrek Laltur in the north), other civilizations would be available, with provisos. Only true hard restriction would be, you need to be taken from a native population, which means no outsider and no animal people for now - playing from enemy civilizations would also be discouraged, but if you have plans for such characters that might work anyway.

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: February 01, 2018, 01:02:11 pm »

May I ask a few questions? What gods do we have, and what's a summarry of our opinion of Dwarves?
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 [58] 59 60 ... 111